• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Armistice Day 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramboy

All....

As we know, it was the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month when the guns fell silent at the end of World War I.

The two minute silence will be respected by millions, not only across Britain, but across the world, and I hope that we will all join them in this...I for one will be.

As someone from the Royal British Legion puts it...

"This small yet significant individual and collective act is a rare moment when the nation can stand together and reflect upon the price of freedom"

Regards

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

I observed the Silence.

RIP ALL who have died in ANY War

Ben

The Snap

Established Member
I did too, however, our school only did it for 30 secs, even thogh they said it was a minute!!!???? :? I'm studying it all at the moment in GCSE History, so it all makes sence, if you get what I mean.
BTW: I can't belive how heartless some youths are - my form tutor said she read that a WWI momorial was vadalised, and the guys who were cleaning it up were pelted with stones!!!! <( :x :x :shock: :x :!:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My school had a remembrance service, which involved a rather long and dull sermon from a local minister. Tbh there really wasn't any need for such a long talk. I personally don't think the soldiers would have appreciated it.

However, the silence was well respected and was ended with a superb performance of 'The Last Post' by one of the school's most experienced trumpet players, a fitting tribute to those who fought for this country.

Nick

RichardH said:
I did too, however, our school only did it for 30 secs, even thogh they said it was a minute!!!???? :? I'm studying it all at the moment in GCSE History, so it all makes sence, if you get what I mean.

Yup, I'm doing it too, it certainly does make sense...and it could of so easily gone the other way if our troops weren't so committed, I respected the silence also.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
joea1 said:
So did I, my school had a mass.

Couldn't help to read that as "my school had a mess."

I had my 2 minute silence this morning in front of News 24 on the TV, but it was slightly spoiled by the fact Fox FM were running late and were still reading the news after the gongs were heard from the TV.

My old school - which was a Catholic School never had masses for things like this, but always did on some religious festivals.

TheSlash

Established Member
In a foreign field he lay
Lonely soldier, unknown grave
On his dying words he prays
Tell the world of Paschendale

Relive all that he's been through
Last communion of his soul
Rust your bullets with his tears
Let me tell you 'bout his years

Laying low in a blood filled trench
Kill tim 'til my very own death
On my face I can feel the falling rain
Never see my friends again

In the smoke, in the mud and lead
Smell the fear and the feeling of dread
Soon be time to go over the wall
Rapid fire and the end of us all

Whistles, shouts and more gun fire
Lifeless bodies hang on barbed wire
Battlefield nothing but a bloody tomb
Be reunited with my dead friends soon

Many soldiers eighteen years
Drown in mud, no more tears
Surely a war no-one can win
Killing time about to begin

Home, far away
From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away
But the war, no chance to live again

The bodies of ours and our foes
The sea of death it overflows
In no man's land, God only knows
Into jaws of death we go

Crucified as if on a cross
Allied troops they mourn their loss
German war propaganda machine
Such before has never been seen

Swear I heard the angels cry
Pray to god no more may die
So that people know the truth
Tell the tale of Paschendale

Cruelty has a human heart
Every man does play his part
Terror of the men we kill
The human heart is hungry still

I stand my ground for the very last time
Gun is ready as I stand in line
Nervous wait for the whistle to blow
Rush of blood and over we go

Blood is falling like the rain
Its crimson cloak unveils again
The sound of guns can't hide their shame
And so we die on Paschendale

Dodging shrapnel and barbed wire
Running straight at the cannon fire
Running blind as I hold my breath
Say a prayer symphony of death

As we charge the enemy lines
A burst of fire and we go down
I choke a cry but no-one hears
Fell the blood go down my throat

Home, far away
From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away
But the war, no chance to live again

See my spirit on the wind
Across the lines, beyond the hill
Friend and foe will meet again
Those who died at Paschendale

Would you believe that the above is lyrics for an Iron Maiden song?

Angus

If you look hard enough you will find some very well-written lyrics in Iron Maiden songs. Not really my taste in music, but they have a few good songs.

On the topic of Remembrance, I was encouraged to see more people wearing poppies this year than I noticed last year - sadly still a lot of ignorant morons who don't understand/don't care though.

And Richard, I did WWI at GCSE a couple of years ago - very interesting topic (actually more interesting than WWII).

I also like others observed the minutes silence on Friday and indeed today as well.

Although i did buy a poppy this year, also due to my job i work with the elderly it's seen as a mark of respect for those who i care for had relatives in the war who may have died, although it horrifies me that for every 10p the people get for a poppy only 1p, goes actually to help any causes this i find terrible.

It's no wonder that less and less people buy poppies each year, i think it was panaroma that revealed this a couple of weeks back

Tom B

Established Member
I found it rather stupid that TPTB decided the silence should be voluntary. The excuse being that some things like scientific experiments are hard to stop. That may be the case but there is ample time to do it another lesson, or start it at 11.02?

Cockfosters said:
I found it rather stupid that TPTB decided the silence should be voluntary. The excuse being that some things like scientific experiments are hard to stop. That may be the case but there is ample time to do it another lesson, or start it at 11.02?

Would agree with you there Tom, but however it will never be observed the 2 minutes by everyone. I work for the elderly and indeed i did observe the silence but had a buzzer had went i'd have to answer it.

Although they circumstances are acceptable, although what about your cable channels like UKTV, Living TV, Challange etc.. They don't observe the silence which i think is nothing more than apolling

Tom B

Established Member
GreaterGlasgowBve said:
Cockfosters said:

Would agree with you there Tom, but however it will never be observed the 2 minutes by everyone. I work for the elderly and indeed i did observe the silence but had a buzzer had went i'd have to answer it.

Indeed but that is / may be something critical whereas re-organising a lesson isn't. Hell they're so scared at people hurting themeselves they're cutting down on practical science things so the chance of a clash is going down all the time.

GreaterGlasgowBve said:
Although they circumstances are acceptable, although what about your cable channels like UKTV, Living TV, Challange etc.. They don't observe the silence which i think is nothing more than apolling

Who would be watching those anyway?!

Status
Not open for further replies.