• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Armstrong Powerhouse Class 40 cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

Looking at the first emission of fumes from the top of this AP Class 40 (3:15 on the video), then the sounds a few seconds later, is this correct, or is the sound delay a scripting error?

Compare to the AP 37, where the two are synchronised (at 1:30)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Looking at the first emission of fumes from the top of this AP Class 40 (3:15 on the video), then the sounds a few seconds later, is this correct, or is the sound delay a scripting error?

Compare to the AP 37, where the two are synchronised (at 1:30)

I believe the loco should be allowed to prime first, then you would attempt ignition. I would think you would get some diesel fumes before the engine would fire up and start particularly on a cold day.

However, the 40 is a much older pack - it lacks some of the detail of the later packs such as the throttle control behaving more akin to the TS default rather than being accurate to the class. It may be a victim of age and if it were reworked then perhaps it would be like the 37.

Inversnecky

Ordinarily I’d have waited the full 60s to prime, but was conscious it’s not exactly gripping viewing!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ordinarily I’d have waited the full 60s to prime, but was conscious it’s not exactly gripping viewing!
True, though in the simulator at least the 205 needs it before it'll start, not sure if the other classes physically do in the simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.