• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arnos Grove to Finchley Central Rail Replacement (Fri 8/7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLA365

A rail replacement service was operated by Sullivan (with Blue Triangle and Ensign vehicles present) to connect the Northern Line with the Arnos Grove-Cockfosters Piccadilly shuttle.

The service was relatively infrequent (every 10-20 mins), but a total of 6 Routemasters were in service today (at one point, the service was 80% Routemaster operated!!). The Routemaster vehicles present were:

RML 900 (Blue Triangle)
RM 298 (Blue Triangle)
RCL 2260 (Blue Triangle)
RM 1069 (Sullivan)
RML 2272 (Sullivan)
RML 2428 (Sullivan)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
It's nice to see that Routemaster's can carry on with other operators in this way (Rail Replacement etc, but obviously the circumstances surrounding this particular instance are not so nice) and certainly seems to ensure that there is still a lot of life left in them and that they will still be around in service (ok, so RR isn't exactly service but as opposed to simply remaining in preservation) for a few years yet!

DLA365

Indeed it was a delight to have seen four fifths of a service operated by original condition Routemasters (but it would have been much happier if the circumstances were not so tragic).

The reason why so many Routemasters were out was probably because there were no other buses left to use! I know Arriva London North made the maximum use of their buses when the 29 was running every couple of minutes to cope with the Piccadilly Line closure. Also Metroline used standard floor V's and AV's on the 205 and 390 as extras.

DLA365

London Tube said:
Routemasters at Arnos Grove :o :shock: Where's my camera :?: ;) :D
Sullivan's RML 2272 was on the Rail replacement (Service A between Finchley Central and Arnos Grove) today. I didn't see any BLT buses in the daytime off-peak :?

Service B is now run between Arnos Grove and Seven Sisters (extended from Bounds Green to Arnos Grove) operated by Ensign and Metrobus from today.

Dave A

DLA365 said:
London Tube said:
Routemasters at Arnos Grove :o :shock: Where's my camera :?: ;) :D
Sullivan's RML 2272 was on the Rail replacement (Service A between Finchley Central and Arnos Grove) today. I didn't see any BLT buses in the daytime off-peak :?

Service B is now run between Arnos Grove and Seven Sisters (extended from Bounds Green to Arnos Grove) operated by Ensign and Metrobus from today.

My little bro and sis saw some RM's or RML's on their way to school. I'm going that way today so I'll take a peek ;)

DLA365

London Tube said:
My little bro and sis saw some RM's or RML's on their way to school. I'm going that way today so I'll take a peek ;)
Some Routemasters? :shock:

Please let me know what you find today - is morning peak is the best time to go there?

Dave A

DLA365 said:
London Tube said:
Some Routemasters? :shock:

Please let me know what you find today - is morning peak is the best time to go there?

Seen loads of Sullivans but only 1 RM :(

EDIT: Seen 2 RML's. One was a RML 7227 stationed at Arnos Grove at around 2pm.

The other was an RML but didn't get the number, seen at Friern Barnet Town Hall at around 9.50 am.

Numerous Sullivans and a couple of blue & silver ones, damn what was the name :x :roll: ah yes, Ensignbus. Usually in East London I think.

DLA365, were you at Arnos at around 3:40 today?

DLA365

On wednesday, I arrived into Arnos Grove at about 4:10pm on L45 (Ensignbus service B). I transferred on to L300 (Sullivan's service A) to go to Finchley Central.

I think you mean RML 2272 (Sullivan's) as there are only 2760 RML's ;). What was the other RML - was it in First livery (RML 2428)?

Dave A

DLA365 said:
On wednesday, I arrived into Arnos Grove at about 4:10pm on L45 (Ensignbus service B). I transferred on to L300 (Sullivan's service A) to go to Finchley Central.

I think you mean RML 2272 (Sullivan's) as there are only 2760 RML's ;). What was the other RML - was it in First livery (RML 2428)?

D'oh. I'm really losing it :x :D . Yeah it was a RML 2272, almost right. After 2 hours you can't expect me to remember. Note to self, take a pen and paper ;)

Anywho, Today I saw the RML 2428. I managed to get a few pics of it but my bus (the 298) looked like it was turning out of Arnos but it stopped so they came out quite bad because I was rushing, and I need to learn some more camera skills :roll:.

But I kept watching it and as the RML turned out of Arnos, my bus was coming and what a picture I missed. A clear road, the bus a brilliant red, on a turn, facing towards me as clear of day but the nice bus driver of the 298 turns up, after making me wait an extra 5 minutes while he fiddled around in his cab, just at that moment, cheers MATE! :x :roll: :cry:

I'll keep trying to get some "decent pics" and I'll ket the numbers right next time (tomorrow, hopefully).

Confirmed RouteMasters seen = 2 (2428 and 2272)

Total RouteMasters seen = 5

All between Friern Barnet & Arnos Grove

DLA365

Total Routemasters seen = 5?! :shock:

What did the other three Routemasters look like (were they all Sullivan) and what were the other buses present on the Rail Replacement?

Dave A

I've seen 5 RM's since Monday. They might have been the same though :?

DLA365

London Tube said:
I've seen 5 RM's since Monday. They might have been the same though :?
Most probably yes, as Sullivan now is the sole operator of the Arnos Grove to Finchley Central service (Blue Triangle have moved over to assist the Paddington to Moorgate service on the 205).

The possible Routemasters are:

- RM 1069 (original condition)
- RML 2272
- RML 2428

RML 2429 (the ex-Stagecoach Routemaster that was rescued along with 2428 from the Carlisle floods) is having its engine thoroughly cleaned, but maybe it will be in service after it is fit to be on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.