• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Bubble Car - Unattractive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Even I, the resident ATF (oh, sorry, damn I'm being immature again...ATW) hater, doesn't mind it. It could be worse! Imagine it in Barbie with pink doors! Or in 'one' livery with some odd combination of vinyls on the doors...

I can't wait to see the real thing, that'll be cool.

Established Member
****ING LOVE IT!!! aother bubble car for me to bash!!! yay, dont like the livery but hey u cant have everything adn it does look kinda weird with a 50 towing it!

Coxster

Established Member
What makes it worse is they've sealed a couple of doors up so you have a big gap in the middle with a different amount of doors on each side of the gap.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
'Welcome to the RailUK Fault Finder.

For assistance in finding fault in the newly arrived 121, please press 1, which will direct your call to Coxster.

For other assistance, please hold whilst we transfer you to an operator'

*Runs into flame-proof cave*

Coxster

Established Member
WSXFan said:
'Welcome to the RailUK Fault Finder.

For assistance in finding fault in the newly arrived 121, please press 1, which will direct your call to Coxster.

For other assistance, please hold whilst we transfer you to an operator'

*Runs into flame-proof cave*
Just expressing my views on it's appearence (:D), however it's the same situation as people were saying about the Wessexes - it's a thing that has to happenm (in regards to the orange door). I love the idea of having the 121 though - love the mechanicals!

Coxster

Established Member
WSXFan said:
In case it's not obvious, it was intended as a joke!
Hence why I used a happy face in it (:D)

-----------------------------------------

Sorry - couldn't resist this:

arrivabubble4bm.jpg

eezypeazy

Until yesterday, I was under the (obviously) mistaken impression that there were no First Generation DMUs left in normal passenger service... then, I found out about Chiltern's and Arriva's 121s.....

Which leads me to pose these questions....

Are there any other First Generation units available for normal passenger service (ie., excluding preserved lines)?

Have any of the train leasing companies retained any others for future work?

Why are units over 40 years old still in service, when there must be much younger stock (eg 142s) available?

Regards

eezypeazy

T

Tom

Your 40 years question .. its due to TACs and profits.

If you count slammers as 1st generation, the Lymington Line still has a 10 minute ride from Brockenhurst to Lymington Pier.

[plug]We're doing a meet on them on the 26th July.[/plug]

Coxster

Established Member
eezypeazy said:
Are there any other First Generation units available for normal passenger service (ie., excluding preserved lines)?
All first generation DMMUs still in use on NR lines are Class 121s AFAIK. In passenger service is the Chiltern bubble car and the soon-to-be Arriva bubble car. Other 121s in use still have their '960' departmental numbers and are not for passenger use. These are 960012 in South West Trains livery working training duties, as well as a couple of sandite units with Chiltern and a Carrilion Rail bubble car again for training duties.

ChrisM

As for the livery i quite like it and it looks better then the Class 150s do in Arriva colours.

Jim

Established Member
eezypeazy said:
Why are units over 40 years old still in service, when there must be much younger stock (eg 142s) available?

Regards

eezypeazy

The whole idea is to free up a 142/3/150 (ATW) & a 165 (Chiltern) so they can be used on more demanding duties

AlexS

Established Member
Chiltern have multiple 121s in various roles, one as a passenger train, and a 117 watercannon.
Network Rail have a class 121 'Pandora' and a class 101 'Iris II'
South West Trains have a class 121, two class 421s, and a class 423
Hastings Diesels have a class 201 hybrid thing, think it's awaiting CDL, OTMR etc.
Arriva Trains Wales have a class 121.

clagmonster

Established Member
Sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but what passengers services will the Welsh 121 be working?

Demps

That arriva 121 is ****ing mint, i dont know why you are complaining baout those doors, i think they look great, supose if there was no sky blue doors it would be boring as hell.

love to see it.

Guinness

Established Member
Demps said:
That arriva 121 is ****ing mint, i dont know why you are complaining baout those doors, i think they look great, supose if there was no sky blue doors it would be boring as hell.

Can you actually post something without swearing?

I think the 121 looks good. Is it going to be used on Branch Line workings if theres a lack of 153s?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed. I'd imagine it might be extended one day, but for now it's strictly limited to the Bays.

Anyone know if it's running in passenger service yet?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I doubt it will be extended - I think that its derogation covers the branch only, although I haven't been able to find any documents which confirm (or deny) this. Unit is due to enter service before the end of this month.

TBH it would be nice if mechanical DMUs were used on shorter branchlines in a similar way to the Lymington slammers. Just a thought...

Coxster

Established Member
An interior image can be found in the latest Railway Herald e-magazine.

The Snap

Established Member
If the doors were a shade of green rather than blue, it would look much better! Still looks OK despite the doors. :)

Guinness

Established Member
Regardless of the colour I think it's good that a 1st Generation DMU is on the mainline! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.