• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Duo Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Arriva are launching a Duo Day Saver ticket for two adults travelling together.

From what I cam make out it will be available until the end of August.

Not sure how enticing it will be looking at the not so generous discount offered.
Existing Wales and north West Day Saver £6
New Duo Day Saver £11.50

WOW - 50p discount!

sorry, I can post a link as the Arriva website is unfathomable!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member

Not sure how enticing it will be looking at the not so generous discount offered.
New Duo Day Saver £11.50

WOW - 50p discount!

Tell anyone they will save money and they will have it!

Typhoon

Established Member
Kent and Medway is a more generous £1.50 saving. For Surrey and West Sussex its a mere 20p. Before anyone leaps at the opportunity to save £1.50, their map is 'generous' about their operating area!

Established Member

New Duo Day Saver £11.50

WOW - 50p discount!

Very generous compared to Leicester zone one:

Existing day ticket: £4.30
Duo ticket: £8.50

Save yourself 10p!

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Some of the fares in the North East are frankly bizzare.

For example, the Tees Valley duo ticket is £14.50 - considering an adult day ticket is £7.30 it only offers a 10p saving.

Yet the North East Regionwide zone, which covers a much wider area (including Richmond, Whitby, and Scarborough to the south and County Durham, Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland to the north), has a duo ticket which costs £13.50. So for a pound less, you can go much further! The saving from two day tickets is also fairly generous at £3.50 (or just over 20%).

Qwerty133

Established Member
In the Midlands you can save several pounds on the cost of a duo on weekends and school holidays by having a child travel round with you all day. They couldn't make it more obvious that they're not really interested in groups of adults travelling by bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
In the Midlands you can save several pounds on the cost of a duo on weekends and school holidays by having a child travel round with you all day. They couldn't make it more obvious that they're not really interested in groups of adults travelling by bus.
No need to have a child with you actually.

L401CJF

Established Member
Theyve also introduced a £1 flat fare in Merseyside zone (and some Welsh zones but cant remember which) for all journeys after 7pm throughout July.

L401CJF

Established Member
The £1 fare will be available within the following ticket zones; Derby Inner Derby Telford Merseyside Bangor City Menai Pwllheli Chester Plus Wrexham Wales.

Apparently can be bought onboard or via M Ticket.

On the subject of mobile tickets I believe (in Merseyside at least) a 3 day ticket will be available soon with a small saving compared to the day tickets, but I don't have further details yet.

mmh

Established Member

New Duo Day Saver £11.50

WOW - 50p discount!

A whole 10p saving - 5p per person! - against the Wales-only 5.70 day ticket! Arriva really do know how to spoil us.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
On the subject of mobile tickets I believe (in Merseyside at least) a 3 day ticket will be available soon with a small saving compared to the day tickets, but I don't have further details yet.
Presumably you refer to the Carnet, which is a bundle of 3 x 1 day tickets which can be used individually over a 7 day period from activation of the first ticket.

L401CJF

Established Member
Presumably you refer to the Carnet, which is a bundle of 3 x 1 day tickets which can be used individually over a 7 day period from activation of the first ticket.
Quite possibly, I saw a notice about it but didn't read the details. The name Carnet does ring a bell!

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This morning, I set off on a journey into the depths of County Durham with my mum. I identified a duo ticket as the best value option for our trip, and so set out to buy one. However, it has been far from straightforward.

One the first leg of our journey, when I asked for a duo ticket the driver looked at me blankly. Then he explained that he didn't know how to issue such a ticket and told us to get on and just sort it out on our next bus. We planned to do that but were very surprised to find the same driver taking us down to Darlington - again he just waved us on. However, for our journey onwards from Darlington, we did have a new driver. When we requested a duo ticket he was again confused, explaining that apparently the drivers had not been informed of the new ticket at all. He had to radio in to work out how to issue the ticket, and even they weren't sure, so it ended up taking a few minutes for him to find it manually. He was (rightly) livid about the fact a new type of ticket had been launched and promoted but not properly explained to drivers. And I agree - the fact both drivers didn't know about the ticket at all suggests the problem is with the company, not the drivers.

We haven't yet begun our journey back to Newcastle, but I am not expecting it to be hassle free. If I scan the ticket, I expect the drivers will question my mum (because she won't have her own) and vice versa. Hopefully they'll understand but I doubt it given the woeful communication drivers seem to have been given. I'll come back and given an update on the return leg to let you know either way.

Has anyone else attempted to buy and/or use one of these duo tickets?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This morning, I set off on a journey into the depths of County Durham with my mum. I identified a duo ticket as the best value option for our trip, and so set out to buy one. However, it has been far from straightforward.

One the first leg of our journey, when I asked for a duo ticket the driver looked at me blankly. Then he explained that he didn't know how to issue such a ticket and told us to get on and just sort it out on our next bus. We planned to do that but were very surprised to find the same driver taking us down to Darlington - again he just waved us on. However, for our journey onwards from Darlington, we did have a new driver. When we requested a duo ticket he was again confused, explaining that apparently the drivers had not been informed of the new ticket at all. He had to radio in to work out how to issue the ticket, and even they weren't sure, so it ended up taking a few minutes for him to find it manually. He was (rightly) livid about the fact a new type of ticket had been launched and promoted but not properly explained to drivers. And I agree - the fact both drivers didn't know about the ticket at all suggests the problem is with the company, not the drivers.

We haven't yet begun our journey back to Newcastle, but I am not expecting it to be hassle free. If I scan the ticket, I expect the drivers will question my mum (because she won't have her own) and vice versa. Hopefully they'll understand but I doubt it given the woeful communication drivers seem to have been given. I'll come back and given an update on the return leg to let you know either way.

Has anyone else attempted to buy and/or use one of these duo tickets?

Failing to train your drivers on a new ticket type is completely unacceptable. It's embarrassing for the drivers through no fault of their own and it makes the company look very unprofessional. A driver who knows their full product range will often offer such a ticket when the customer doesn't know about it, so the company is potentially losing sales through the lack of word-of-mouth marketing that may have resulted from this.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Failing to train your drivers on a new ticket type is completely unacceptable. It's embarrassing for the drivers through no fault of their own and it makes the company look very unprofessional. A driver who knows their full product range will often offer such a ticket when the customer doesn't know about it, so the company is potentially losing sales through the lack of word-of-mouth marketing that may have resulted from this.
Must be a 'local issue', it's been quite heavily communicated to Midlands drivers.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Must be a 'local issue', it's been quite heavily communicated to Midlands drivers.
The drivers on the way back have accepted it without major issues - just scanning it and pointing out it's a duo have been enough. But that doesn't necessarily mean they've been properly trained on it, they could just be using their common sense on what "duo" would mean in a ticketing context.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The £1 fare will be available within the following ticket zones; Derby Inner Derby Telford Merseyside Bangor City Menai Pwllheli Chester Plus Wrexham Wales.

Apparently can be bought onboard or via M Ticket.

Can I please ask are any more details online about this? All that I have seen are 2 notices. 1 mentions Wrexham - Chester, Mold or Llangollen and another mentions all Wales. I haven't seen anything, anywhere say about the Chester Plus zone

L401CJF

Established Member
The drivers on the way back have accepted it without major issues - just scanning it and pointing out it's a duo have been enough. But that doesn't necessarily mean they've been properly trained on it, they could just be using their common sense on what "duo" would mean in a ticketing context.
This was quite well communicated within Merseyside last time they offered it, and was well used. Not heard anything yet though.
Can I please ask are any more details online about this? All that I have seen are 2 notices. 1 mentions Wrexham - Chester, Mold or Llangollen and another mentions all Wales. I haven't seen anything, anywhere say about the Chester Plus zone
I've sent a message direct to you.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I can't comment on the North East, my remark was simply relating to training in the Midlands.

L401CJF

Established Member
It has been announced that the £1 evening single promotion is to be extended until the end of August. (Within Merseyside at least).

Source: internal company communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.