• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Green Line 757 to stop serving Luton Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
According to:

http://www.lots.org.uk/

1) After 32.5 years Green Line 757, operated from London Victoria to Luton Airport by Arriva the Shires with sixteen Van Hool Acron triaxle coaches, will cease serving Luton Airport from 1st May as the Airport Authority has awarded a new concession to operate into the airport to National Express. It is likely that Arriva will continue to operate between London and Luton Town but inevitably would be at a much reduced frequency. It remains to be seen how NatEx will manage this change.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The current 757 I believe, is operated by Arriva in partnership with National Express, Easybus, Wizzair and Terravision or so the side of the bus says, that sounds like on the face of it a rather cosy arrangement, but it's quite high fares no doubt due to all of the revenue splitting going on and as the only bus service into London, you'd think there would have been competition concerns with such arrangement.

The funny thing is, on the last few Easyjet flight I was on, it was sold under the National Express or Green Line name and at least at one point there were separate sales desks for this service and even three different prices for what was the same service.

It seems that National Express have broke out of this partnership though so it remains to be seen what the reaction is of the other partners to this and if they once again all team up together with NX rather than Greenline being the dominant name.

radamfi

Established Member
I wonder if the easyBus service between Luton Airport and Earl's Court is affected?

robertclark125

Established Member
That could be challenged in court. Lothian Buses did challenge a similar ruling by Edinburgh Airport in 2011, and the court overturned the restriction which gave exclusive access rights to one firm.

Theere is also the issue of fair access to bus stations owned by operators, as identified by the Competition Commission report. Does this affect bus stations owned by Airports?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
At the same time though, is it any worse than the current situation though?

Whilst Terravision, Easybus (excluding the Earls Court), Wizzair and National Express along with Arriva advertise services between Luton and London, the reality is it's only one service despite giving the impression they are separate operators.

radamfi

Established Member
I've never heard of NX accepting anyone else's tickets so it would be unusual if the current arrangement would continue.

Martin nx

18 Levantes are ready for this apparently and NX are advertising for drivers and shunter/fuellers as a permanent position at Luton so if you fancy it go to the website and apply! :)

winston270twm

Established Member
18 Levantes are ready for this apparently and NX are advertising for drivers and shunter/fuellers as a permanent position at Luton so if you fancy it go to the website and apply! :)

It's interesting that NX ops have only very recently shut Crawley depot sub contracting out a number of routes to third party operators, but are now opening a new base at Luton Airport & operating these routes in-house

howittpie

I think this will be bad news for passengers at Nat Ex fares to airport are usually a rip off, the exception being to Stansted where there is competition.

tbone

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I think this will be bad news for passengers at Nat Ex fares to airport are usually a rip off, the exception being to Stansted where there is competition.

As stated, the current arrangement is bad so it can't be much worse. Hopefully with the revenue being split less ways it'll bring the price down, but then again they will have a monopoly so perhaps not.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wonder if this may spell the nearing of the end for the Green Line brand?

All that's left after the 757 has gone apart from any remnants of that and the 755 is:

701/2 Half-hourly Bracknell - Slough - London

724 Hourly Harlow - Heathrow

748/749/758/768/769
every 60-120 minutes with lots of peak extras Hemel Hempsted - London

797 Hourly Stevenage - London

NXG press release: http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/media/allnews.aspx?newsyear=2013&newsitem=826

It sounds like they're aiming for a frequency of up to six coaches per hour (Green Line currently provide up to four per hour). Other than the Oxford Tube by Stagecoach, I'm not aware of any UK coach services with such a high frequency.

Citylink's Edinburgh to Glasgow service runs every 10 minutes at peaks.

http://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/winter2009/Glas2Edin.pdf

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Easybus do sell some cheap seats on the 757, although you have to book in advance to get the low fares. Hopefully the Earl's Court service will continue to provide competition.

winston270twm

Established Member

The latest Routeone confirms that 18 new Levante have been sourced to be supplemented by a further 4 Levante less than 18 months old
http://www.route-one.net/issues/481/index.html#/10/

Does anyone know the address / postcode of the new depot?

Mikey C

Established Member

I presume there would have been an agreement with Luton airport as to how much the tickets would cost.

I believe the Green Line 757 will continue, but as a pure London to Luton commuter service

winston270twm

Established Member
I presume there would have been an agreement with Luton airport as to how much the tickets would cost.

I believe the Green Line 757 will continue, but as a pure London to Luton commuter service

Surely the Arriva 757 will be reduced in frequency though, otherwise there will be in excess of 35 coaches covering virtually identical sections of the route at peak times.

I'm wondering whether the NX incursion on to the Arriva 757 Greenline corridor is anything to do with Arriva's incursion & recent expansion in the West Midlands with the acquisition of Midland? which of course is a NX stronghold with NXWM

winston270twm

Established Member
Indeed - as stated in the first post in the thread.

As far as I am aware, Arriva reducing the 757 frequencies is only based on speculation at present. Arriva are being very quiet, there is nothing on both the Arriva or Greenline websites regarding the future of the 757, neither are there any new registrations on VOSA for timetable/route changes.

I guess how Arriva respond will depend on the number of passengers that use he 757 for Luton airport against the number that are commuting from Luton to London

radamfi

Established Member
Does the new National Express route need registering through VOSA, given that it is an express route?

Given that the 757 stops at Bricket Wood, does this stop mean the distance between stops is short enough for the route to require a 56 day notice period? However, would the Traffic Commissioner be willing to waive this requirement given the special situation?

easyBus are continuing to sell tickets from Victoria to Luton on 30 June.

I just phoned up Arriva The Shires in Luton and they are aware that they will no longer operate the 757 from 1 May and a replacement service will operate from Luton town centre instead. However, they did say that posters will be going up on buses from next week. Given the lack of notice (i.e. they were only told about losing the contract a short while ago) they don't yet know what the new service is going to be.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware, Arriva reducing the 757 frequencies is only based on speculation at present. Arriva are being very quiet, there is nothing on both the Arriva or Greenline websites regarding the future of the 757, neither are there any new registrations on VOSA for timetable/route changes.

I guess how Arriva respond will depend on the number of passengers that use he 757 for Luton airport against the number that are commuting from Luton to London

True, the OP contained speculation from LOTs about the reduction in frequency.

However your suggestion also seemed to be identical speculation.

Does the new National Express route need registering through VOSA, given that it is an express route?

That rather depends where it stops.

Given that the 757 stops at Bricket Wood, does this stop mean the distance between stops is short enough for the route to require a 56 day notice period?

It is at the moment. Will the new NX service stop there?

However, would the Traffic Commissioner be willing to waive this requirement given the special situation?

It's not clear - Arriva could have fun deregistering at short notice if the TC doesn't accept it and Luton Airport won't let them in.

That could be interesting too. I wonder if Easybus will have to buy them tickets on the new service (or the train). Or if they'd just offer a refund of what had been paid.

I just phoned up Arriva The Shires in Luton and they are aware that they will no longer operate the 757 from 1 May and a replacement service will operate from Luton town centre instead. However, they did say that posters will be going up on buses from next week. Given the lack of notice (i.e. they were only told about losing the contract a short while ago) they don't yet know what the new service is going to be.

This all seems to have happened at very short notice. Most odd.

Last edited:

winston270twm

Established Member

Given that the 757 stops at Bricket Wood, does this stop mean the distance between stops is short enough for the route to require a 56 day notice period? However, would the Traffic Commissioner be willing to waive this requirement given the special situation?

All National Express coaches registrations/service changes are registered on VOSA. Including the Kings Ferry commuter routes.

This is where all the confusion is arising from, i.e. Arriva's Greenline 757 is thought to be a completely commercial operation and Arriva also own the Greenline brand, therefore Arriva can't loose the 757 contract. The only contract Arriva can/have lost is the concession to operate the 757 in to London Luton Airport grounds/bus station for the next seven years to NX. At present as I see it the NX new A1 service will be in competition with the Arriva Greenline 757 service over the London Victoria - Luton section. Until Arriva confirm their intentions otherwise

radamfi

Established Member
http://www.nationalexpress.com/wherewego/airports/luton-airport.aspx

says they will be stopping at Finchley Road, St. John's Wood, Marylebone, Portman Square, Victoria Rail Station and Victoria Coach Station, no mention of Bricket Wood, although the list of stops may not be exhaustive. With that stopping pattern presumably it would be considered express with no notice needed. Presumably Arriva stop at Bricket Wood for the BSOG so they would maintain that stop for the revised 757.

I wouldn't have thought National Express would be interested in stopping at Bricket Wood so they would leave it to Arriva.

winston270twm

Established Member
True, the OP contained speculation from LOTs about the reduction in frequency.

However your suggestion also seemed to be identical speculation.

Everything on the Arriva Greenline 757 side is pure speculation until Arriva release details of at least a route change i.e. will no longer serve Luton Airport from 1st May.

Does anyone living in the area/use the 757 know where the bulk of the passenger journeys are from/too?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.nationalexpress.com/wherewego/airports/luton-airport.aspx

says they will be stopping at Finchley Road, St. John's Wood, Marylebone, Portman Square, Victoria Rail Station and Victoria Coach Station, no mention of Bricket Wood, although the list of stops may not be exhaustive. With that stopping pattern presumably it would be considered express with no notice needed. Presumably Arriva stop at Bricket Wood for the BSOG so they would maintain that stop for the revised 757.

I wouldn't have thought National Express would be interested in stopping at Bricket Wood so they would leave it to Arriva.

The routeone article states NX A1 service will omit Bricket Wood, Brent Cross & Luton Town shaving 4 mins off the journey time. Based on the fact the A1 is missing out Luton Town it suggest much of the revenue/passenger journeys are for the Airport

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
The National Express site now sells tickets on the A1 with the list of stops as above with the addition of Golders Green. The fares seem to be £19 day return, £25 economy/standard return and £15 single on all the trips I tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.