Arriva Green Line 757 to stop serving Luton Airport

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by radamfi, 25 Mar 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

According to:

http://www.lots.org.uk/

2. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

The current 757 I believe, is operated by Arriva in partnership with National Express, Easybus, Wizzair and Terravision or so the side of the bus says, that sounds like on the face of it a rather cosy arrangement, but it's quite high fares no doubt due to all of the revenue splitting going on and as the only bus service into London, you'd think there would have been competition concerns with such arrangement.

The funny thing is, on the last few Easyjet flight I was on, it was sold under the National Express or Green Line name and at least at one point there were separate sales desks for this service and even three different prices for what was the same service.

It seems that National Express have broke out of this partnership though so it remains to be seen what the reaction is of the other partners to this and if they once again all team up together with NX rather than Greenline being the dominant name.

3. radamfi

I wonder if the easyBus service between Luton Airport and Earl's Court is affected?

4. F Great Eastern

I'd say not, since this is a seperate service using the mini buses is it not?

5. radamfi

But what if National Express have secured exclusive rights to operate buses between central London and the airport?

6. Martin nx

Martin nx Member

Nat Exp are indeed taking over the 757. It will become service A1 and a new Owned Ops depot in Luton will appear. :D (Owned Ops driver!)

7. robertclark125

robertclark125 Established Member

That could be challenged in court. Lothian Buses did challenge a similar ruling by Edinburgh Airport in 2011, and the court overturned the restriction which gave exclusive access rights to one firm.

Theere is also the issue of fair access to bus stations owned by operators, as identified by the Competition Commission report. Does this affect bus stations owned by Airports?

8. F Great Eastern

At the same time though, is it any worse than the current situation though?

Whilst Terravision, Easybus (excluding the Earls Court), Wizzair and National Express along with Arriva advertise services between Luton and London, the reality is it's only one service despite giving the impression they are separate operators.

9. Martin nx

Martin nx Member

From what I understand to be happening this will be a stand alone service, other operators will not be involved or sharing ticketing on the A1.

10. radamfi

I've never heard of NX accepting anyone else's tickets so it would be unusual if the current arrangement would continue.

11. Martin nx

Martin nx Member

18 Levantes are ready for this apparently and NX are advertising for drivers and shunter/fuellers as a permanent position at Luton so if you fancy it go to the website and apply! :)

12. winston270twm

winston270twm Established Member

It's interesting that NX ops have only very recently shut Crawley depot sub contracting out a number of routes to third party operators, but are now opening a new base at Luton Airport & operating these routes in-house

13. Edvid

Edvid Member

14. howittpie

howittpie Member

I think this will be bad news for passengers at Nat Ex fares to airport are usually a rip off, the exception being to Stansted where there is competition.

15. tbone

tbone Member

Trent Barton's Red Arrow coach service runs at a 10 minute frequency.

16. F Great Eastern

As stated, the current arrangement is bad so it can't be much worse. Hopefully with the revenue being split less ways it'll bring the price down, but then again they will have a monopoly so perhaps not.

17. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

I wonder if this may spell the nearing of the end for the Green Line brand?

All that's left after the 757 has gone apart from any remnants of that and the 755 is:

701/2 Half-hourly Bracknell - Slough - London

724 Hourly Harlow - Heathrow

748/749/758/768/769
    every 60-120 minutes with lots of peak extras Hemel Hempsted - London

797 Hourly Stevenage - London

Citylink's Edinburgh to Glasgow service runs every 10 minutes at peaks.

http://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/winter2009/Glas2Edin.pdf

Last edited: 28 Mar 2013
  18. radamfi

Easybus do sell some cheap seats on the 757, although you have to book in advance to get the low fares. Hopefully the Earl's Court service will continue to provide competition.

19. winston270twm

winston270twm Established Member

The latest Routeone confirms that 18 new Levante have been sourced to be supplemented by a further 4 Levante less than 18 months old
    http://www.route-one.net/issues/481/index.html#/10/

Does anyone know the address / postcode of the new depot?

20. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

I presume there would have been an agreement with Luton airport as to how much the tickets would cost.

I believe the Green Line 757 will continue, but as a pure London to Luton commuter service

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.