• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva london trainee driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevergiveup

Anyone heard back from arriva?
I got the dreaded email today :(

“Thank you for applying for the Trainee Train Driver - Willesden role.

After careful consideration, we have taken the decision not to progress your application any further.

Thank you for your interest in ARL and we wish you all the the best.

Yours sincerely,

ARL Recruitment Team”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oggs

Hi all, has anyone sat a DMI recently with ARRIVA? I have mine next week and seeing if anyone has any pointers?

I failed at that stage last year, I wasn't that prepared as I should have been.
The interview was very corporate feel, and questions like tell me a time etc but I didn't know about answering with STAR.
My other problem was not fully understanding/ listening to the question asked.

Good luck with the interview, learn STAR, take a moment to fully understand the question before answering and try to relax.

TBDDesiro

After careful consideration, we have taken the decision not to progress your application any further.

Yours sincerely,

ARL Recruitment Team”

Sorry to hear mate, I’ve heard nothing although I applied to New Cross Gate

alex_alexs28

Yours sincerely,

ARL Recruitment Team”

Same boat as you. Maybe we'll be more luckier with another companies.

Sera

Hi, i applied a month ago for New Cross depot. Has anyone been invited or had any response so far? Thanks ;)

Scott1991

I've managed to get a DMI next week. Has anyone had one recently that could give me some helpful hints please?

bruebunny

Can anyone help me with something regarding the two hand coordination test? I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm dysgraphic, which basically means my hands have a slight wobble when doing fine motor controls. It's nothing that generally effects me day to day, just makes my handwriting a mess and hard to read. However, the two hand coordination test seems like the kind of thing that I will really struggle with. I've tried it with the two hand pencil thing and that...didn't go great. But one handed pencil would be hard for me anyways keeping it within the lines.
How difficult is this test? How much leeway is there? If I show evidence of my condition, is it likely to help me out?
I don't want to miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime because of something that triggers issues in the test that won't be an issue in the job.

Can anyone help me with something regarding the two hand coordination test? I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm dysgraphic, which basically means my hands have a slight wobble when doing fine motor controls. It's nothing that generally effects me day to day, just makes my handwriting a mess and hard to read. However, the two hand coordination test seems like the kind of thing that I will really struggle with. I've tried it with the two hand pencil thing and that...didn't go great. But one handed pencil would be hard for me anyways keeping it within the lines.
How difficult is this test? How much leeway is there? If I show evidence of my condition, is it likely to help me out?
I don't want to miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime because of something that triggers issues in the test that won't be an issue in the job.

Do you play computer games at all? If so it will some idea of what to expect. However the controls for the test only move in two axis - one moves horizontally and the other vertically so in theory it should minimize the risk of any wobble as there isn't really any 'play' in the controls

The toughest part is moving across the screen diagonally as it you have to do small left-right and up-down movements to achieve this, but I'm not sure how your dysgraphia will hinder you - if at all.

I'm not sure if they can make any adjustments for you other than increasing the time available to complete the test.

Static65

As MostlyHarmless says, the joysticks only move on one axis each, so it is not possible to wobble them other than pushing too far or back in the direction you want to go. It is testing your ability to control how far you are moving each hand independently of the other in a fixed direction. Aiming on console controller isn't the same, but is a fair comparison, more so than the drawing with two hands which I didn't find anything like the real test.

All of the computer tests are deemed safety critical, and therefore no reasonable adjustments will be offered. The only tests that adjustments can be considered for are TRP1 and TRP2 (memory recall and dials tests) if any were required as these are testing your ability to understand and retain information for the learning element of the role and not the driving itself.

Whilst I know nothing of your ability, my advise would be to give it a go. It isn't overly complicated and other than a days leave, what do you have to lose in trying.

Scott1991

So I've found out that I've been successful in the DMI. On to the medical. Which I'm nervous about. Had a specsavers hearing test and they say I have minor hearing loss. Does anyone have any info on the hearing test and do they know if I'm likely to fail due to my minor hear loss?

greatkingrat

Established Member
The guidelines are:

The hearing deficiency should not be higher than 40 dB at 0.5 and 1 kHz.
The hearing deficiency should not be higher than 45 dB at 2 kHz for the ear with the worst air conduction of sound.

Did your hearing test give breakdowns by different frequencies?

Kay_M

When did you apply for the role if you don't mind me asking?

So I've found out that I've been successful in the DMI. On to the medical. Which I'm nervous about. Had a specsavers hearing test and they say I have minor hearing loss. Does anyone have any info on the hearing test and do they know if I'm likely to fail due to my minor hear loss?

bruebunny

Do you play computer games at all? If so it will some idea of what to expect. However the controls for the test only move in two axis - one moves horizontally and the other vertically so in theory it should minimize the risk of any wobble as there isn't really any 'play' in the controls

The toughest part is moving across the screen diagonally as it you have to do small left-right and up-down movements to achieve this, but I'm not sure how your dysgraphia will hinder you - if at all.

I'm not sure if they can make any adjustments for you other than increasing the time available to complete the test.

As MostlyHarmless says, the joysticks only move on one axis each, so it is not possible to wobble them other than pushing too far or back in the direction you want to go. It is testing your ability to control how far you are moving each hand independently of the other in a fixed direction. Aiming on console controller isn't the same, but is a fair comparison, more so than the drawing with two hands which I didn't find anything like the real test.

All of the computer tests are deemed safety critical, and therefore no reasonable adjustments will be offered. The only tests that adjustments can be considered for are TRP1 and TRP2 (memory recall and dials tests) if any were required as these are testing your ability to understand and retain information for the learning element of the role and not the driving itself.

Whilst I know nothing of your ability, my advise would be to give it a go. It isn't overly complicated and other than a days leave, what do you have to lose in trying.

Thank you both, that definitely helps and puts my mind at ease. Another week and a half to think about nothing else but this assessment day.
I'm definitely going to try my best, I'm sure I can do this if given the chance, just got to convince them to give me the chance :)

Ash1984

Thank you both, that definitely helps and puts my mind at ease. Another week and a half to think about nothing else but this assessment day.
I'm definitely going to try my best, I'm sure I can do this if given the chance, just got to convince them to give me the chance :)

Hi all,

Can someone let me know if at the medical are hearing test conducted separately in each ear or collectively?

I believe I’m at the required hearing standard but will get further test done before medical.

Driver73

Hi all,

Can someone let me know if at the medical are hearing test conducted separately in each ear or collectively?

I believe I’m at the required hearing standard but will get further test done before medical.
You get head phones to put on. The beeps you hear I believe go from ear to ear. As you click the button on hearing the beep it changes ear and test your hearing in the other. I remember the woman saying that once you click the button the beep will then get lower and lower (if you hear it right) in volume.

Scott1991

Hi all thank you to everyone for your help on this forum. I'm pleased to say I have passed my medical and now have a start date with ARL. Does anyone know anything about the training for ARL? Where it is? Time spent in classroom? How many months etc....

Scef

Hi all thank you to everyone for your help on this forum. I'm pleased to say I have passed my medical and now have a start date with ARL. Does anyone know anything about the training for ARL? Where it is? Time spent in classroom? How many months etc....

About 9 months training. Had my first induction day yesterday at overground house. Not sure where we’ll be for the whole of training but the first week is spent there. They spoke about the simulators being at Willesden and the spreadsheet they gave us mentions depot experience so I assume location varies throughout training.

Congrats on getting through :D

Kse

About 9 months training. Had my first induction day yesterday at overground house. Not sure where we’ll be for the whole of training but the first week is spent there. They spoke about the simulators being at Willesden and the spreadsheet they gave us mentions depot experience so I assume location varies throughout training.

Congrats on getting through :D

Most time spent at Swiss Cottage then Willesden in latter stages of training. Training is scheduled for 8-9 month but its Driving Instructor dependent so expect it to go on for atleast 10-12 with alot of Front Ending, although pay will be back dated to scheduled passing out date you were given initially.

SGD5891

Fantastic thank you for the info!
Congrats on getting start date....I’m in my 5th week of training with ARL now and tbh, the first few weeks is pretty laid back, company induction, PTS, and 2 weeks front ending with and visiting different depots. Then the hard work begins..... enjoy

Scott1991

Congrats on getting start date....I’m in my 5th week of training with ARL now and tbh, the first few weeks is pretty laid back, company induction, PTS, and 2 weeks front ending with and visiting different depots. Then the hard work begins..... enjoy
Thanks mate really looking forward to it

bruebunny

Is anyone else at stage 2 tomorrow?
Sadly, frustatingly failed stage 2. Failed the concentration test. My finger slipped a couple of times and pressed the green button when it shouldn't have, because the button is much more sensitive than I expected. Think that was what took me out. I'm so angry at myself. Got one more chance in six months time, but to fall at such a hurdle due to basically slipping on a banana peel is monumentally frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.