• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva North West and Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just been having a look at this ticket, and for £5.50 it seems like a gigantic area! Is it really valid all the way from Manchester down to Wales?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It is a very good ticket! I've used it several times before, often to catch a bus from home to Newton-le-Willows, and then the bus at the other-side in Bangor :)

So it's seriosuyl valid in that gargantuan area, all for £5.50??
It certainly is! :)
I did once try to travel from WIgan to Barmouth (back when Arriva had a route down there,) and it wasn't possible to do in a day. So suppose the distance you can travel is restricted to the timetables and routes available. Still, it does present excellent value for money.

overthewater

Established Member
Is Arriva Wythenshawe Depot, up for sale as stated by someone in the First thread or is it a load of old Codswallop, and we can close the book on this, and keep both threads clear.

Last edited:
That £5.50 day ticket for Arriva North West & Wales is probably one of the best value bus tickets in the UK. You can get all the way from Greater Manchester to Anglesey on it.

_toommm_

Established Member
You can do Holyhead to Manchester in a day, and just about Manchester to Holyhead on train then Holyhead to Manchester on buses in a day...

Simon75

On Moderation
I have done is the past
Crewe-Chester-Wrexham-Dolgellau (the former X94 when Arriva ran it)
Crewe-Chester-Rhyl-Llandudno

Statto

Established Member
You can do Holyhead to Manchester in a day, and just about Manchester to Holyhead on train then Holyhead to Manchester on buses in a day...

Not possible anymore since the Arriva 130 got cut to East Didsbury, that's now Macclesfield-East Didsbury, don't think it's possible to get to the Arriva 263 Altrincham-Manchester without going on another company either.

Slower Travel

Not possible anymore since the Arriva 130 got cut to East Didsbury, that's now Macclesfield-East Didsbury, don't think it's possible to get to the Arriva 263 Altrincham-Manchester without going on another company either.

East Didsbury is in Manchester, mind you. Admittedly it's not the city centre, but it still pretty much counts.

If you're using Greater Manchester as a benchmark, does traveling from Wigan count? That's what I've done in the past, as they're generally well connected to the Arriva network :)

Bwsbro

From Sunday 31st March 2019, Arriva will no longer operate tendered services 1E, 1NS, 67C, 67L 82, 83, 85, X85, 86, 88, 91 in Gwynedd.

Service affected are:
  • Service 1E, Caernarfon to Porthmadog (Monday to Saturday)
  • Service 1NS, Caernarfon to Nantlle (Sundays)
  • Services 67C and 67L, Bangor to Bethesda/Gerlan (Sunday only - Monday to Saturday unchanged)
  • Service 82, Caernarfon to Bethel (Monday to Saturday)
  • Service 83, Caernarfon to Dinorwig (Monday to Sunday)
  • Services 85, X85 and 86, Bangor to Llanberis (Monday to Sunday)
  • Service 88, Caernarfon to Llanberis (Sundays)
  • Service 91, Caernarfon to Dinas Dinlle (Monday to Saturday)

Llandudno

Established Member
Are these loss of tenders (did Arriva bid?)
Or have Arriva simply refused to continue operating them?

With the closure, for various reasons (!) of numerous independent operators in North Wales in recent years, are there sufficient operators to run all of the replacement tendered services?

I guess the other issue is if there are only a small number of operators interested in bidding for these services then the level of subsidy may have to increase, which could lead to a reduction in the tendered bus network?

Ayman Ilham

That £5.50 day ticket for Arriva North West & Wales is probably one of the best value bus tickets in the UK. You can get all the way from Greater Manchester to Anglesey on it.
I know right? If anyone is wondering how they make a profit, it's a flat fare so people who are not travelling within certain discounted regions (like Merseyside, Chester, Greater Manchester, etc.) will have to pay the same £5.50 fare whether they're going cross-country from North Wales to Liverpool/Manchester or just making one return journey a few miles to the next town such as Southport to Ormskirk, Wigan to Skelmersdale, Conwy to Llandudno, Rhyl to Prestatyn, Macclesfield to Wilmslow, etc.

Well it's not a problem for most people living in Greater Manchester that have regular passes (monthly/annual) on buses for GM, like myself with a System One AnyBus monthly, so if I did this £5.50 Arriva ticket, I would start in Leigh/Wigan after getting there with other bus services!

TheSel

... If anyone is wondering how they make a profit, it's a flat fare so people who are not travelling within certain discounted regions (like Merseyside, Chester, Greater Manchester, etc.) will have to pay the same £5.50 fare whether they're going cross-country from North Wales to Liverpool/Manchester or just making one return journey a few miles to the next town such as Southport to Ormskirk, Wigan to Skelmersdale, Conwy to Llandudno, Rhyl to Prestatyn, Macclesfield to Wilmslow, etc.

Exactly this. :D

I use these tickets frequently for pleasurable 'pub crawls'. I'm in Southport, so with this ticket, I can do: [examples]
Southport - Wigan - Warrington - Runcorn - Chester (Merseytravel pass to/from Chester)
Southport - Wigan - Horwich - Bolton and return
Chester - Wrexham - Mold - Chester (Merseytravel pass to/from Chester)
Chester - Wrexham - Denbigh - Rhyl - Holywell - Chester (Merseytravel pass to/from Chester)

... and so on.

It used to be possible to do a Chester - Northwich - Sandbach - Crewe - Nantwich - Chester circular, but since Arriva gave up the 82, the first leg of that (and therefore the circular) is no longer available

But it irks me that I have to pay the same £5.50 just to get to my local CaMRA branch meeting at The Heaton's Bridge pub (half way between Southport and Ormskirk) and back!

Still - take the rough with the smooth, I guess?

Last edited:
Following the announcement that Arriva are will not be operating a number of services in Gwynedd from the end of the month, Gwynedd Council have started to release new timetables on their website. Looking through the new timetables, there appears to be some major cutbacks, the most severe I've seen is at Llanberis, where currently the last bus is the 22:20 No.85 to Bangor, from April it will be timed earlier... almost 4 hours earlier... at 18:30!
https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/cy/T...a-theithio/Amserlenni-bws/Amserlenni-bws.aspx

Bwsbro

Following the announcement that Arriva are will not be operating a number of services in Gwynedd from the end of the month, Gwynedd Council have started to release new timetables on their website. Looking through the new timetables, there appears to be some major cutbacks, the most severe I've seen is at Llanberis, where currently the last bus is the 22:20 No.85 to Bangor, from April it will be timed earlier... almost 4 hours earlier... at 18:30!
https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/cy/T...a-theithio/Amserlenni-bws/Amserlenni-bws.aspx

The evening Service 85 were introduced by Arriva during the last year. Although providing late evening journeys, these services were poorly used. Max 1-2 people a journey. Gwynedd Council used to subsides the 18:15, 20:15 Ex Bangor & 19:15 Ex Llanberis Express Motors Services, however these seems to now be dropped.

Unfortunately Gwynedd Council are between a rock and a hard place at the moment as replacement services have had to be rendered instead of commercially operated. Thus reducing the pot to all services.

In fairness to Gwynfor Coaches they are operating the 85 commercially

Established Member
Green Lane depot will commence operating "ArrivaClick" services from next week, with twelve Mercedes-Benz Sprinters to be based there.

Established Member
Route 10A is to receive a batch of 25 hydrogen powered Enviro400s, with the batch split between Arriva (St Helens depot) and Stagecoach (Gillmoss depot).

Last edited:

Established Member
I saw adverts for click drivers for Birkenhead depot a few weeks ago so maybe they are next?

Birkenhead depot already operates "ArrivaClick" services, although I'm not sure if there's plans to increase its allocation of five Sprinters yet. I'll try and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.