• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail London - Qualified/Trainee Driver Vacancies - Dec 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davysera

Hi all I emailed their careers folks and they said the 1st sift will take up to 4 months, so no need to worry about not hearing from them yet!

Well
Usual answer, you can read it on their website...but let's hope for the best outcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

slick

They wont be in a rush to get drivers through. This recruitment drive was most likely to future proof as a few will be retiring in a few years. Not to be the killjoy but patience definatley will be required for this lot of vaccancies this time around.

Last edited:

Skoodle

I've heard the number 40 by December being bandied about, especially for New Cross Gate and Willesden, this campaign is primarily for extra drivers to allow for night services to begin in December. New Cross Gate is almost at compliment (circa 220 drivers) but will need more for night turns. Nights will most likely only start off on East London Line, as the section from Dalston to New Cross Gate is RfL infrastructure, so no hassles with Network Rail over increased traffic.

atochopefull

All I can say is keep an eye on your emails as it's not too late to be invited. Railway recruitment can take months.

Sounds like you have some inside info!!? I applied, but didn't specify a depot, however, Watford is my closest. Not heard anything. Any clues??

SheikG

Hi all,

I'm attending stage 1 assessments tomorrow (Friday 3rd Feb) and as I have passed all of the assessments with another TOC I am just required to sit the SJT.

Can anybody tell me the order of the day - is the SJT done in the beginning, middle or end of the day?

Also, just so I know what to expect, are the SJT questions based on railway scenarios only or are there questions derived from random working experiences in different industries?

Thanks in advance and good luck to all.

Davysera

Hi all,

I'm attending stage 1 assessments tomorrow (Friday 3rd Feb) and as I have passed all of the assessments with another TOC I am just required to sit the SJT.

Can anybody tell me the order of the day - is the SJT done in the beginning, middle or end of the day?

Also, just so I know what to expect, are the SJT questions based on railway scenarios only or are there questions derived from random working experiences in different industries?

Hi Sheiky

Someone mentioned here that it is not only from the railway life and could be situations from any aspect of the life.
If you passed everything the SJT couldn't be a problem for you and I don't think
Someone will stop you progress just because of this test!
Do you have to perform VSE as well?
Good luck and your next stop is DMI I suppose?:D

Need2

If you passed everything the SJT couldn't be a problem for you and I don't think

Then what would be the purpose of having the test then? :roll:

Last edited:

Major14

Hi all,

It's last of the day and based on random work experiences.

SheikG

Hi Sheiky

Someone mentioned here that it is not only from the railway life and could be situations from any aspect of the life.
Do you have to perform VSE as well?
Good luck and your next stop is DMI I suppose?:D

Hi Davysera,

Yea tbh I'm not too worried about the SJT, I just got that late sinking feeling - what if I actually messed it up by being too relaxed about it.. Would be kicking myself!

I don't need to do VSE so if all goes well tomorrow I should be on to the DMI.

Good luck with your application and thanks for reaching out!

Thank you Major14 for the info, much appreciated

Last edited:

Boiliee

Hi Davysera,

Yea tbh I'm not too worried about the SJT, I just got that late sinking feeling - what if I actually messed it up by being too relaxed about it.. Would be kicking myself!

I don't need to do VSE so if all goes well tomorrow I should be on to the DMI.

Good luck with your application and thanks for reaching out!

Thank you Major14 for the info, much appreciated

SheikG if you pass the SJT you will have to go to Watford for an additional computer based test too

Davysera

Hi all,

Hi Shaiky

How was your day or still early?
If you don't mind give some info about this SJE?
Hope you are successful!!!

SheikG

SheikG if you pass the SJT you will have to go to Watford for an additional computer based test too

Really? I was told by Amy from Arriva HR that since I passed all assessments with MTR I would only have to sit the SJT. I had a feeling I'd have to sit the VSE since the SJT and VSE were both done online with MTR and I gather Arriva want it to be done in person.

You definitely sure about this Boiliee?

SheikG

Hi Shaiky

How was your day or still early?
If you don't mind give some info about this SJE?
Hope you are successful!!!

Today was kinda 'Shaiky' :roll:

I made a horrible mistake by missing a question which resulted in me answering the next question in the previous questions box (Hope that makes sense)! The problem is I didn't notice I was doing this till I got nearer to the end of the questions and once I realised I had to go back and figure out which question I missed and work backwards from there. Just a really silly mistake to make but I managed to sort it out in the end after a little panic attack!

It is a fairly straightforward SJT tbf, you're given different scenarios and asked to rank your choice of action from 1-4. Just understand what you're being asked and answer accordingly you should be fine.

Davysera

Today was kinda 'Shaiky' :roll:

I made a horrible mistake by missing a question which resulted in me answering the next question in the previous questions box (Hope that makes sense)! The problem is I didn't notice I was doing this till I got nearer to the end of the questions and once I realised I had to go back and figure out which question I missed and work backwards from there. Just a really silly mistake to make but I managed to sort it out in the end after a little panic attack!

It is a fairly straightforward SJT tbf, you're given different scenarios and asked to rank your choice of action from 1-4. Just understand what you're being asked and answer accordingly you should be fine.

You'll be Ok I am sure!
A close friend attended today as well and told me something very strange:
From 18 planned applicants only seven appeared!?!?!
Important info for you and people in your situation:
If successful at this SJT you do have to perform VSE at Watford!!!!
As he understood from the conversation with the examiner this is because if you done it previously on line you have to do it along again at Watford!
So did you perform it online for other TOC or not?
If it was online then prepared for Watford!

SheikG

You'll be Ok I am sure!
A close friend attended today as well and told me something very strange:
From 18 planned applicants only seven appeared!?!?!
Important info for you and people in your situation:
If successful at this SJT you do have to perform VSE at Watford!!!!
As he understood from the conversation with the examiner this is because if you done it previously on line you have to do it along again at Watford!
So did you perform it online for other TOC or not?
If it was online then prepared for Watford!

Yeah I did it online with MTR so I guess I'll have to go to Watford to do it again if invited. I'm assuming your friend did the afternoon session as the morning session was full. How about yourself, what assessments do you have to do with Arriva?

Good luck with it all!

Amoaz6

Yeah I did it online with MTR so I guess I'll have to go to Watford to do it again if invited. I'm assuming your friend did the afternoon session as the morning session was full. How about yourself, what assessments do you have to do with Arriva?

Good luck with it all!

That's quite annoying because I am in the same situation as you and I was told it was only the MMI I had to do. Thought I was done with all these tests.

stevieoz

Got a phone call today to attend DMI next week. But I'm a previous London Overground applicant.

Hi Jodo

How did the interview go, did they give you any news of when drivers will start? How many drivers they are looking to employ? Or any other helpful info.

JoDo

Went ok I guess. Was a lot harder than I thought it would be, question wise. But I must of done something right. Because I got my medical early next week and references started at the beginning of this week. Haven't been given a start date yet. But hopefully I pass the medical next week and get told. Very excited and very appreciative of the opportunity LO are giving me.

JoDo

The 3 depots mentioned at the beginning of this thread are correct. Those were the locations they mentioned to me. But your choice is really dependent on your home address which ever I assume is the closest in a decent distance to get to. For me i can practically walk to the depot. That's all I was told really, no driver numbers to mention sorry.

Good luck to those in the process still, I know how daunting it can be. Don't lose faith, always do your best and keep on living your life. Let me know how things go..

Davysera

Went ok I guess. Was a lot harder than I thought it would be, question wise. But I must of done something right. Because I got my medical early next week and references started at the beginning of this week. Haven't been given a start date yet. But hopefully I pass the medical next week and get told. Very excited and very appreciative of the opportunity LO are giving me.

Hi JoDo
And congratulations for well done job!!!
Many people will be very grateful if you give some more info about the DMI:
For example do you have to know much for Arriva as a company and ARL /former Lorol/?
Any other specifics ...
Ones again congrats and welcome!

djsmith200

well done to those above. on a side note has anyone who applied for this received a 'thanks but no thanks? i have not heard anything full stop

Status
Not open for further replies.