• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail North DOO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I wonder how long before Northern Management bring the issue to a head by proactively cancelling all Sunday services thus depriving the striking guards of thier ability to make up lost wages by working OT on the Sundays?

SOP for NR at the moment: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/n...r-of-planned-cancellations-this-sunday-oct-14

Why they need to cancel when there is a skeleton Saturday service, I have no idea.

On the +ve side, Man City actually have a Sunday game so I'll be able to go on the train for the first time this year!

agbrs_Jack

Starmill

Veteran Member
INB4 they strike during the Christmas Markets and torpedo public opinion.
I think this has been considered a given for months now. Notwithstanding any potential resolution to the dispute, between now and then, of course.

Furthermore, I question what value RMT places on public opinion.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm surprised the press hasn't cottoned on to the possibility of taxpayers money being used to prolong the dispute. I would have expected this to be making headlines by now.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Nothing to see here, move along. Nothing is happening. I cannot see any end to it, esp if Saturdays are more sustainable for either side.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder, if interviewed, how many of the Wigan and Warrington rugby league fans travelling to "the big match" would be pleased that the RMT were not allowing them to travel by rail to the match in order to look after their safety. Times must have changed for the type of rugby league fans that I knew some fifty years ago and the current fanbase who need the RMT to provide "nanny state" protection must be a different breed...:rolleyes:

Overspeed110

I think this has been considered a given for months now. Notwithstanding any potential resolution to the dispute, between now and then, of course.

Furthermore, I question what value RMT places on public opinion.

Furthermore, I question what value Arriva Rail North places on public opinion.

woodmally

Thats irellevant as they cannot do anything about the strikes. They have to implement DOO so their hands are tied. As for what value RMT places on public opinion it depends on what the public are saying. If they are saying they value the guard then a great deal. If however they dare to disagree with the RMT and its position then they wont care.

DaveB10780

RMT must just have not one iota of though of the impact on normal people. We all think your pathetic attempts to convince us this is a safety issue is rubbish. All you care about is Union Power and NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER. Give us our train journeys back please.

Overspeed110

RMT must just have not one iota of though of the impact on normal people. We all think your pathetic attempts to convince us this is a safety issue is rubbish. All you care about is Union Power and NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER. Give us our train journeys back please.

^
"we all think"

Who is we? A hand full of anti rail anti union armchair frothers on a train spotting forum?

Robertj21a

On Moderation

I guess that, by now, public opinion matters little to Arriva or the RMT.

In % terms, few people use the trains so few will be very interested in 'just another Union dispute'. It's only on a forum such as this where anybody thinks lots of people will be interested.

DaveB10780

^
"we all think"

Who is we? A hand full of anti rail anti union armchair frothers on a train spotting forum?
Not at all, this just seems an action to preserve the past. We the public like trains to run safely and on time. DOO/DCO should be part of that as well as second train crew member on most services. However striking over who should open doors what a load of old baloney.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
SOP for NR at the moment: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/n...r-of-planned-cancellations-this-sunday-oct-14

Why they need to cancel when there is a skeleton Saturday service, I have no idea.

On the +ve side, Man City actually have a Sunday game so I'll be able to go on the train for the first time this year!

Presumably it's a lack of drivers volunteering to work Sundays and as drivers aren't on strike they can turn up as usual for their Saturday shifts and be paid for them - it's not their fault that they can't actually drive passenger services.

pemma

Veteran Member
Not at all, this just seems an action to preserve the past. We the public like trains to run safely and on time. DOO/DCO should be part of that as well as second train crew member on most services. However striking over who should open doors what a load of old baloney.

Given millions of passengers travelling safely on DOO services every day in London alone, DOO alone is not unsafe as long as there's dispatchers and visible members of staff where they are needed. Most passengers seem to prefer seeing someone in railway uniform walking through the train, than seeing a member of staff appearing to release and close the doors at stations. Many think Northern already run 'driver only' services as they don't always see a second visible member of staff on Northern services.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Suppose with all these strikes and 6pm/7pm finishes, the RMT is in step with Theresa May's current policy of finishing freedom of movement "once and for all".

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
As the strikes are clearly having no effect in resolving the dispute, how about the RMT try a different approach such as working Saturdays as normal but refusing to sell or check tickets? There's nothing more likely to bring Northern to the negotiating table than losing revenue!

agbrs_Jack

You think that the only people hacked off are a few on a rail forum? Wow.

There are many people that are incredibly angry about this.
Most of Congleton don't care about whether a guard is on their train or not, yet we have to put up with having no service every Saturday destroying leisure travel.

Surely DOO/DCO is safer than a large number of people driving 40+ minutes on the roads.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As the strikes are clearly having no effect in resolving the dispute, how about the RMT try a different approach such as working Saturdays as normal but refusing to sell or check tickets? There's nothing more likely to bring Northern to the negotiating table than losing revenue!

The problem is that you can withdraw labour by law, but other misconduct is not similarly protected so they could be disciplined for that.

They could "work to rule" i.e. take ages over safety matters so revenue falls by the wayside...enough guards (more down South than up North) do that normally!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There are many people that are incredibly angry about this.
Most of Congleton don't care about whether a guard is on their train or not, yet we have to put up with having no service every Saturday destroying leisure travel.

Surely DOO/DCO is safer than a large number of people driving 40+ minutes on the roads.

That is my general contention about the "de minimis" nature of most railway safety spending these days - spend a bit less on safety, cut fares, get hugely more dangerous cars off the road.

Even spending it on road safety projects would save more lives. Fundamentally the railway is safe enough (including existing DOO) - the last big improvement was TPWS and I just don't see room for much more without wasting money.

scrapy

Established Member
Aside from disciplinary action for not taking revenue, if that were to be organised in any way by the RMT I am sure Northern could take the RMT to court for their loss. Even if not organised by RMT I am sure if Northern could prove it was some kind of unofficial action they would be reimbursed by the taxpayer.

woodmally

As an aside I've been invited to a public meeting about the strikes. Be interesting to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.