• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Trainee Drivers and Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugland53

Just to let you guys know that these jobs will be advertised shortly on the website. Don't know any more details yet, cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ray_levitt

Just wondering if u guys could help me out with info on becoming a trainee driver .finding it hard looking on the net.do u just get employed by a company and trained up or is training a desperate thing?

TDK

Established Member
Don't suppose Chester will feature eh???

I already mentioned to you that there is a strong possibility that Chester may be recruiting in the near future so yes, it may be Chester
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Shrewsbury woud be nice.

With the new European law on the fatigue index all depots will need more drivers, most will probabaly be qualifieds but if there are not enough there will certainly be the scope for new trainees
Just wondering if u guys could help me out with info on becoming a trainee driver .finding it hard looking on the net.do u just get employed by a company and trained up or is training a desperate thing?

There is more than enough information on this forum for you to sift through

Established Member

You apply for a vacancy and if successful the company will give you all the training. There are quite a few topics in this section which give the information you need.

Erniescooper

I was talking to a Chester driver last night and he assured me that jobs would be advertised soon for Chester but just for a short time . If anyone is interested in depot drivers role there will be one shortly at Alstom Chester .

TT66

Trainee conductor roles now on website, when do we think the trainee drivers will be advertised? Good luck for everyone applying

Celstar

Hello Bert and Erine ! I have been looking for these trainee train driver jobs on Arriva Trains wales web site i can not see them buddy am I looking in the right area. ? :)
I have been looking at Arriva Trains Wales jobs Web site nearly everyday for the last 6 months with no luck yet . Looking what people are saying on these posts that trainee train drivers are coming soon! any update on this when they will be advertised anytime soon?....I live in the area of west wales carmarthen. :)

Scaramanga

Celstar its on the recruitment section.

The advert is only open until there are a suitable number of applicants (probably not long!) and assessments are in March. Good luck guys.

svrdan

Very Tempting since im a short distance from Machynlleth. Trouble is the assessment centers may clash with University matters/lectures etc. Dependent on how many will apply and how long the sifting will take. :|

sw1ller

Established Member
Does anyone know how important it is to speak welsh? It asks if you are fluent on the application and i have tried to learn welsh for North Wales Police but i just couldnt do it. I assume the stations are on an automated anouncement system but obviously sometimes someone needs to speak to passengers. Is there a guard on the trains? I can say all but one station on the way to Holyhead from Chester but the one i cant say can be shortend quite a lot.....

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Yes there are guards on the trains. Welsh not needed so much in the south but more so in the North as there are alot of passengers who prefer to speak welsh. I shouldn't think it would affect your application though. Give it a shot!

TT66

Does anyone know if ATW do the mechanical comp part of the assessment?recently passed the assessments with FGW but they don't require the mechanical comp. If they do then would it be a case of just doing that part of the assessment?and not the whole thing again

TDK

Established Member
Does anyone know if ATW do the mechanical comp part of the assessment?recently passed the assessments with FGW but they don't require the mechanical comp. If they do then would it be a case of just doing that part of the assessment?and not the whole thing again

Unless things have changed they do still carry out the mechanical tests.
Does anyone know how important it is to speak welsh? It asks if you are fluent on the application and i have tried to learn welsh for North Wales Police but i just couldnt do it. I assume the stations are on an automated anouncement system but obviously sometimes someone needs to speak to passengers. Is there a guard on the trains? I can say all but one station on the way to Holyhead from Chester but the one i cant say can be shortend quite a lot.....

If you cannot speak fluent Welsh and you have the correct criteria for a post you will get the job. To add, how many people in Wales who travel by train cannot speak English, I doubt there are very many.
Celstar its on the recruitment section.

The advert is only open until there are a suitable number of applicants (probably not long!) and assessments are in March. Good luck guys.

It says on the site 11th February for Holyhead

Last edited:

Pugland53

They used to have that part of the test but I think they have stopped it now. I didn't do the mechanical test when I applied a few years ago.

tomsl1

Anyone know if Sundays are outside, and whether conductors work four/five day weeks?

Cheers.

sw1ller

Established Member
Thanks. I really didnt want my inability to speak welsh to scupper my application.

One more question. Ive read a few times on different posts about sundays being inside/outside...... What does this mean. I know you get to choose if you work sundays and have to give them a weeks notice if you are working it but i'm a little confussed about the terminology. Thanks

Beveridges

Established Member
If you cannot speak fluent Welsh and you have the correct criteria for a post you will get the job

Not always simple as that - plenty who meet the criteria and still do not get the job... Especially so with ATW being the subject we are speaking about here, notorious for sending people to medicals & telling people they've passed the selection process only to put them on hold for years then no job offer. The Cambrian jobs in 2010 being a classic example.
There is also nothing to say you will definetely pass the Interview even if all criteria is met.
That should read "if you cannot speak fluent Welsh and you have the correct criteria for a post you MIGHT get the job"

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Not always simple as that - plenty who meet the criteria and still do not get the job, not first time anyway!!!
That should read "if you cannot speak fluent Welsh and you have the correct criteria for a post you might get the job"

Agreed. If it is anything like my employers, they will take little notice of the ability to speak Welsh. We will certainly not reject anyone where I work because they do not speak the language.

We do follow the WG guidance of putting 'Welsh desirable' in the job adverts, though. Which I don't agree with, by the way!

Thanks. I really didnt want my inability to speak welsh to scupper my application.

One more question. Ive read a few times on different posts about sundays being inside/outside...... What does this mean. I know you get to choose if you work sundays and have to give them a weeks notice if you are working it but i'm a little confussed about the terminology. Thanks

You have to work your Sundays or find somebody to do it for you. It depends which depot you're at to how many Sunday's you're rostered to work, some do 1 in 3, some 1 in 6 or 7.
Anyone know if Sundays are outside, and whether conductors work four/five day weeks?

Cheers.

Sundays are rostered but if you find somebody ele to work them for you that's fine. Guards at most depots are on a 4 day week but some in the south are still on 5.

TDK

Established Member
Not always simple as that - plenty who meet the criteria and still do not get the job... Especially so with ATW being the subject we are speaking about here, notorious for sending people to medicals & telling people they've passed the selection process only to put them on hold for years then no job offer. The Cambrian jobs in 2010 being a classic example.
There is also nothing to say you will definetely pass the Interview even if all criteria is met.
That should read "if you cannot speak fluent Welsh and you have the correct criteria for a post you MIGHT get the job"

I was suggesting if they are going to offer you the job and you do not speak fluent Welsh you will get the job, in other words the weighting of speaking fluent Welsh as a driver makes no difference, maybe I worded the original post wrongly

tomsl1

You have to work your Sundays or find somebody to do it for you. It depends which depot you're at to how many Sunday's you're rostered to work, some do 1 in 3, some 1 in 6 or 7.

Sundays are rostered but if you find somebody ele to work them for you that's fine. Guards at most depots are on a 4 day week but some in the south are still on 5.

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.