• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva trainee train driver 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RefLeaf92

Yep, you had me skip a heartbeat there. I'm in the same boat with the valleys line vacancy, nothing yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW-156

Yep, you had me skip a heartbeat there. I'm in the same boat with the valleys line vacancy, nothing yet.

Same Here, no email or phone call yet, I have been actually answering the house phone in the hope it's Arriva but always PPI or surveys lol . Maybe they will do a mass email to all applicants after the sift/shortlisting to let us know.

RefLeaf92

Still no updates yet. I'm beginning to wonder whether they will be doing assessment's in early June like they advised in the advertisement.

I'd think we should hear this week or next, but who knows...

ATW-156

Hi all Just thought I would let you now they are sending out emails today regarding if successful or not.

Thank you for your application for the Trainee Train Driver position
within Arriva Trains Wales.

After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that your
application has not been successful on this occasion.

Unfortunately due to the high number of applications received, we are
unable to offer feedback.

We would like to thank you for the interest you have shown in Arriva
Trains Wales and wish you every success for the future.

:(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But would also like to add good luck to all the rest of you that have applied I have my fingers crossed for you all :p

LR18

Had mine also, rejected!

Really disappointed.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

RefLeaf92

Rejected for me too. Gutted is not the word right now.

Not to worry, I shall definitely apply again next time round. Time to dust ourselves done and be better next time :)

Good luck to all that remain.

ATW-156

If I remember they were recruiting for 2016 and 2017. Does this mean they may advertise again for the 2017 lot or are they included with this batch.

We may get another chance soon maybe.

Don't let the disappointment set anyone back, It just gives us more time to prepare and fulfill the next chance we get :D

beefton

Me rejected too. Im 53 next birthday so probably too old in their eyes. Not that they would ever admit that though :D

metalmickey

Gutted for everyone, I've not heard anything yet, I'm hoping that this is a good sign, I'm sure that I remember someone telling me that they send out the rejection emails first before inviting people for further assessment, could just be wishful thinking on my part. Good luck to everyone who is still yet to hear.

LR18

I would take that as a good sign mickey. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

metalmickey

Just received an email from ATW stating I've got a telephone interview on Thursday 26th May. Has anyone else gotten through the sift? Any advice on the next stages would be greatly received, good luck to everyone still waiting to here.

srich82

Hey all, first post from me (after a few weeks of lurking).

Congratulations Mickey, best of luck for your interview.

Sadly I was also unsuccessful like many others. I'm based in Bristol so I wonder if location had a part to play in it?

Mickey, if not too much trouble I'd really appreciate to hear a little bit more about your work experience and what you said in your covering letter.

metalmickey

Hey all, first post from me (after a few weeks of lurking).

Congratulations Mickey, best of luck for your interview.

Sadly I was also unsuccessful like many others. I'm based in Bristol so I wonder if location had a part to play in it?

Mickey, if not too much trouble I'd really appreciate to hear a little bit more about your work experience and what you said in your covering letter.

Hey srich82, I've been a PCSO for nearly 10 years, prior to this I run a pub and before that I was in nursing. In the application, I went through the person and job specification and went through each part bit by bit, giving evidence of experience for each competency. I think that it helped that I spent a lot of time on my application prior to the role being advertised, so when the advert came out, it was just a matter of copying and pasting onto the application form. I have been trying for a job on the trains for over 2 years and have only just received a rejection email as I didn't make it through the sift for a train carriage cleaner, though I really do want to become a driver. I honestly believe that it's a case of perseverance and applying for any job on the trains to get your foot in the door. I've still got a long way to go, but I won't give up untill I'm working within the train service, ultimately as a driver. This site has been invaluable as a source of information and advice, don't give up and each application will get better and better.

RBSN

Hey srich82, I've been a PCSO for nearly 10 years, prior to this I run a pub and before that I was in nursing. In the application, I went through the person and job specification and went through each part bit by bit, giving evidence of experience for each competency. I think that it helped that I spent a lot of time on my application prior to the role being advertised, so when the advert came out, it was just a matter of copying and pasting onto the application form. I have been trying for a job on the trains for over 2 years and have only just received a rejection email as I didn't make it through the sift for a train carriage cleaner, though I really do want to become a driver. I honestly believe that it's a case of perseverance and applying for any job on the trains to get your foot in the door. I've still got a long way to go, but I won't give up untill I'm working within the train service, ultimately as a driver. This site has been invaluable as a source of information and advice, don't give up and each application will get better and better.

I have to add to this.

Always take your time when writing your application and always hit each specification point with your own, relevant experience. Be confident and to the point.

srich82

Thank you for taking the time to write back, really useful to hear.

I've only recently begun applying for positions as a train driver, since I finished Uni most of my experience has been in Customer Services. I'm trying to decide what the best pathway is to becoming a driver. I guess I need to work on my experience within safety etc. I'm only 28 so plenty of time, but it's hard to get onto the ladder.

red2005

Very true but remember not to get drawn too much into the safety side to things, Its about the whole package these days.....there was a time where as long as you kicked the backside out of safety in an interview you were pretty much set. These days with HR having just as much of an input (if not more) as driver managers there is a big customer service side to getting a driving job and if you don't get it in there you will struggle, so basically don't forget where you've come from!

Not everyone who's gone driving is from a safety background remember.......it helps massively but its not the be all end all, if you don't have the safety experience use other things in its place such as your willingness to learn new skills and face a challenge head on. We've got plenty of guys who come from a non safety critical background...... Its about the individual matey.

Good luck :)

tom1986

Hi, new to the forum. Received an invite to the telephone interview stage (Cardiff Valleys) - wondering if anyone had any info re: what to expect in terms of questions asked? preparation?

Thanks in advance.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Thank you for taking the time to write back, really useful to hear.

I've only recently begun applying for positions as a train driver, since I finished Uni most of my experience has been in Customer Services. I'm trying to decide what the best pathway is to becoming a driver. I guess I need to work on my experience within safety etc. I'm only 28 so plenty of time, but it's hard to get onto the ladder.

The biggest thing I would suggest that is relevant is evidence of following rules and procedures in the past. That's why there are a vast amount of ex police, military, fire brigade, guards etc.

red2005

Hi, new to the forum. Received an invite to the telephone interview stage (Cardiff Valleys) - wondering if anyone had any info re: what to expect in terms of questions asked? preparation?

Thanks in advance.

Not really......just do your research on the company, the role and maybe the qualities you'll need to do the job successfully and you should be fine.

metalmickey

Have got a telephone interview for ATW valley lines this Thursday, been researching the company, electrification of the lines, personal specification for the role and so on. Just thinking, it's only a 15 minute interview. How much are they really likely to ask in such a short amount of time, or will they ask a little about everything to check that you've done your research? Don't want to stress about learning information for a short telephone interview that they are never going to ask me about, or is it worth learning everything in the hope that I get a face to face interview where the information will then hopefully come in handy. I have searched the forum and Google, it appears that every Toc asks different questions and that every interview is different, anyone with any suggestions or just to let me know that I'm doing the correct interview preparation, thank you in advance for any reply.

I've done many phone interviews with First and they have all been very similar. They've never asked me anything about the company but they will ask you for specific examples from the past that you will need to tailor to the job specifications that you are applying for. They may also ask you to describe the role of a train driver and what it involves.

Focus your main research on the role of a train driver and how to link examples you give to fit the job requirements.

I've passed the last 3 telephone interviews I've had but never been offered an assessment yet :(

metalmickey

Thanks General miller, will alter my learning and start to look at the role of a train driver and give examples of previous experience that link in with that of the role of a train driver. Really don't want to mess the interview up, been also practicing the book of the tests they sent and seem to be doing ok. Once again thank you for the reply and advice.

Don't take my advice as set in stone though as I wouldn't want you to fail based on the info I gave. Arriva may do it slightly differently although I imagine that they would be similar. Best of luck :)

metalmickey

General miller, will continue to learn all I can about the company along with the advice that you've given me, don't worry not going to take what you've said as gospel, I know all TOC's are different, just looking to cover all bases

tom1986

Thanks for the advice/suggestions.

Same boat as you metalmickey, just trying to cover everything - but then also thinking it's only a 15 min interview. Better safe than sorry I guess. Imagine I'll be surrounded by a sea of notes when the time comes and will have to locate the relevant info.

metalmickey

I've got a telephone interview this afternoon, anyone else in the same boat? Good luck to anyone who has:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just received an email inviting me to a second interview on Tuesday 7th June in Cardiff, really nervous, really going to have to practice to ensure that i do my best. anyone else through to the next interview or waiting to hear back from ATW?

srich82

Good luck Mickey. Sounds like you've prepared well, be confident in that. Remember to just relax and be yourself.

Nick82

Does anyone know what routes Blackpool Drivers and conductors learn.

Many thanks

TeaTrain

Hi there if its for ATW they will ask about the company. Or at least they have recently. In the telephone interview they will ask about the fleet. What you know about the company. What you think the role involves (safety critical AND customer service). And when they ask "tell me a bit about yourself" what they really mean is " tell me about the qualities you have to be a driver" so when you talk about that hobby or whatever it may be always put an example of how you think some of the skills transfer.

Sorry the message might be a bit wonky writing on phone. At least this was how my experience has been anyway. Good luck to everyone also!

Status
Not open for further replies.