• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Trains Wales or Trenau Arriva Cymru?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Sitting on a recently refurbished 158 (841 I think) I noticed an oddity.

There is a (new?) yellow sticker dealing with anti-social behaviour. The Welsh language version refers to the company as 'TAC' (i.e. Trenau Arriva Cymru). The English Language version refers to the company as 'Trenau Arriva Cymru' !!

Presumably Arriva Trains Wales is still the official name? Or has there been a change of policy? Or is someone at Machynlleth having a bit of fun?

Incidentally, the Welsh version includes the word :

gwrthcymdeithasol

Which might possibly be the longest word I've ever seen on an in-coach notice! 15 or 17 letters, depending on whether you're using Welsh or English orthography!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Which might possibly be the longest word I've ever seen on an in-coach notice! 15 or 17 letters, depending on whether you're using Welsh or English orthography!

Not that the English language doesn't have long words for nontechnical concepts; "overenthusiastically", "counterrevolutionaries", "institutionalization", "uncharacteristically", "counterproductiveness", "indistinguishability", "compartmentalization", "anthropomorphization", "counterdemonstrations", "incomprehensibleness" are all fairly normal words with 20 or more letters.

johnnychips

Established Member
Not that the English language doesn't have long words for nontechnical concepts; "overenthusiastically", "counterrevolutionaries", "institutionalization", "uncharacteristically", "counterproductiveness", "indistinguishability", "compartmentalization", "anthropomorphization", "counterdemonstrations", "incomprehensibleness" are all fairly normal words with 20 or more letters.

However, the only one you might have found on a train was 'compartmentalization' thirty years ago...or perhaps, 'We do not accept any responsibility for the incomprehensibleness of train announcements because of poor PA systems or regional accents.' :D

tirphil

Sitting on a recently refurbished 158 (841 I think) I noticed an oddity.

There is a (new?) yellow sticker dealing with anti-social behaviour. The Welsh language version refers to the company as 'TAC' (i.e. Trenau Arriva Cymru). The English Language version refers to the company as 'Trenau Arriva Cymru' !!

Presumably Arriva Trains Wales is still the official name? Or has there been a change of policy? Or is someone at Machynlleth having a bit of fun?

Incidentally, the Welsh version includes the word :

gwrthcymdeithasol

The placement of stickers is nothing to do with Mach! Thats all done at Crewe during the refurb.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
However, the only one you might have found on a train was 'compartmentalization' thirty years ago...or perhaps, 'We do not accept any responsibility for the incomprehensibleness of train announcements because of poor PA systems or regional accents.' :D

/Pedant/ Surely 30 years ago, before any Americanisation of our language it would have been compartmentalisation, as of course it still should be! /pedant/

Eagle

Established Member
/Pedant/ Surely 30 years ago, before any Americanisation of our language it would have been compartmentalisation, as of course it still should be! /pedant/

Both -ise and -ize spellings are valid in British. The spellings with -ize are the originals, and are the forms used by the OED.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Welsh language contains many words with 2 or more words joined together and which form different parts of the omplete word. You will often find sub=words staring with a different letter and these are known as mutations where in certain circumstances the leading letter/s are changed. As an example, coffi can become goffi. It would take me too long to run through the whole process.

Barn

Established Member

As Eagle has said, this is actually an urban myth. If anything, we have shifted far more towards -ise in the last 30 years! The Times only switched to -ise twenty years ago.

The original -ize forms are still widely used in the scientific and academic press.

Eagle

Established Member
As Eagle has said, this is actually an urban myth. If anything, we have shifted far more towards -ise in the last 30 years! The Times only switched to -ise twenty years ago.

Similarly, notice how everyone in Britain stopped saying "soccer" about 20 or 30 years ago once the sport started to become popular in the US. Previously we might have used it as an informal synonym, but now god forbid we use the same terminology as the Americans...

tbtc

Veteran Member

...and yet we laugh at the Germans for having long words (that are the combination of other words)...

Shame "bouncebackability" isn't long enough to make the grade

Eagle

Established Member
...and yet we laugh at the Germans for having long words (that are the combination of other words)...

English is unusual amongst the Germanic languages in being reluctant to join words together like that. Compare the English "life insurance company" to the German "Lebensversicherungsgesellschaft", Dutch "levensverzekeringsmaatschappij" or Danish "livsforsikringsselskab": same three words in the same order, but only English chooses to break it up with spaces.

jones_bangor

English is unusual amongst the Germanic languages in being reluctant to join words together like that. Compare the English "life insurance company" to the German "Lebensversicherungsgesellschaft", Dutch "levensverzekeringsmaatschappij" or Danish "livsforsikringsselskab": same three words in the same order, but only English chooses to break it up with spaces.

Gwrthcymdeithasol (more correctly gwrthgymdeithasol) is an exceptionally long word for Welsh.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Both -ise and -ize spellings are valid in British. The spellings with -ize are the originals, and are the forms used by the OED.

The original -ize forms are still widely used in the scientific and academic press.

Well thats me told! I knew it wasn't quite so clear cut as maybe I had made it sound but having read up theres a lot more variance than I expected. Bit of a Oxford versus Cambridge thing too.

Personally I'd always use -ise, British English is in danger and something like this could be the thin end of the wedge!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
The Welsh language contains many words with 2 or more words joined together and which form different parts of the omplete word. You will often find sub=words staring with a different letter and these are known as mutations where in certain circumstances the leading letter/s are changed. As an example, coffi can become goffi. It would take me too long to run through the whole process.

Indeed mutations, Wood/Coed/Goed.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.