• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ArrivaRailLondon driver details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoolay88

Hi all,

I am just curious as to the working ours, days off etc, an arriva driver would have each week/month and how the shifts work etc.

Additionally, any info on how a typical day as a driver goes from start to finish would be very helpful.

I appreciate any replies.

Thanks

Jason.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marino

Hi all,

I am just curious as to the working ours, days off etc, an arriva driver would have each week/month and how the shifts work etc.

Additionally, any info on how a typical day as a driver goes from start to finish would be very helpful.

I appreciate any replies.

Thanks

Jason.

ARL is a 34 hr ave 4 day week, 26 Sundays included. Assume you're looking at NXG ? I'm not familiar with their roster links. Over ay Wldn, a link may e.g. have a 6 day long w/e every 4 wks, 9 or 10 day long w/e every 8 wks... Other more balanced links to try & move to though..
Earliest book on ~0400, latest finish ~0115. NXG have to do nights now & again I believe...
Turns are 6 - 9hrs with PNB, pass'ing and step backs...

malor

I am familiar with NXG (new cross gate) links.
  • It's a 4 day week roster that averages out to 35 hrs a week after a couple of weeks.
  • You get 6 days off every 4 weeks
  • On the roster, longest working days on a trot is 6 days
  • To get the long weekend (6 days off at once), you work 6 days, get six days off and then work 6 or 5 days again.
  • They have 4 links in total (excluding night links and driver instructors links).
  • Turn length is between 7hrs and 9hrs 30 minutes (most turn lengths are 8hrs 30)
  • Your allocated break is 30 minutes excluding passing time
  • Earliest book on is 4:15am and latest finish is 1:30am
  • Shift is a mixture of lates, earlies and middles
  • Typical day as a driver, you book on, pick your diagram, read the notice case, catch up with other drivers, walk down to drive your train (first half is between 3hrs and 4hrs driving), you have a break, start your second half (also between 3hrs and 4hrs driving), finish your shift, go home, EAT, SLEEP, REPEAT!

Last edited:

Hoolay88

• It's a 4 day week roster that averages out to 35 hrs a week after a couple of weeks.
  • To get the long weekend (6 days off at once), you work 6 days, get six days off and then work 6 or 5 days again.
  • They have 4 links in total (excluding night links and driver instructors links).
  • Turn length is between 7hrs and 9hrs 30 minutes (most turn lengths are 8hrs 30)
  • Typical day as a driver, you book on, pick your diagram, read the notice case, catch up with other drivers, walk down to drive your train (first half is between 3hrs and 4hrs driving), you have a break, start your second half (also between 3hrs and 4hrs driving), finish your shift, go home, EAT, SLEEP, REPEAT!

Thanks for the info, just a follow up question, what info would be shown on "your diagram" and "notice case"

malor

Thanks for the info, just a follow up question, what info would be shown on "your diagram" and "notice case"
The information on your diagram would be your train destinations, headcode, your stopping pattern, your PNB and your finish time.

The notice case contains network rail information, the company information about the trains, weather updates, speed restrictions, safety information etc.

Saffa

Thanks for the info Malor.
I hope this don't sound like a silly question but with regards to the days off. Do they try and roster it so that they are together or could you be faced with say a Monday and then a Thurs off etc?
Thanks

malor

Thanks for the info Malor.
I hope this don't sound like a silly question but with regards to the days off. Do they try and roster it so that they are together or could you be faced with say a Monday and then a Thurs off etc?
Thanks

Hello Saffa,
No question is ever a silly question 8-).

In regards to the days off (depending on the link you are in cos they have 4 links in NXG), they do roster them together 98% of the time on the base roster which runs for 48 weeks approximately. There are some odd parts where you may have just one day off after working maybe 3 days. But because it is a 4 day week working roster, you would then have to just work one day and then you are off for 2 days. So to answer your question, you may be off on a Monday, but when next you are off, it would be Thursday and Friday together (hopefully this makes sense).

Saffa

Hello Saffa,
No question is ever a silly question 8-).

In regards to the days off (depending on the link you are in cos they have 4 links in NXG), they do roster them together 98% of the time on the base roster which runs for 48 weeks approximately. There are some odd parts where you may have just one day off after working maybe 3 days. But because it is a 4 day week working roster, you would then have to just work one day and then you are off for 2 days. So to answer your question, you may be off on a Monday, but when next you are off, it would be Thursday and Friday together (hopefully this makes sense).

Cheers Malor.

About the start on 1st April. Obviously it's day 1 so will be at Willesden I believe for the majority but NXG will be my depot once through the initial training.

Just wanted a heads up on how it all works!

Thanks

malor

Cheers Malor.

About the start on 1st April. Obviously it's day 1 so will be at Willesden I believe for the majority but NXG will be my depot once through the initial training.

Thanks

No worries Saffa, enjoy your training and good luck in your career as a train driver 8-)

Marino

Cheers Malor.

Thanks

The max turn length is 9hrs at NXG, shortest looks to be just over 6 1/2hrs. Your training will be between Swiss, Wldn & NXG. You're a bit more likely to do depot operations and shunting at NXG as they're more likely to have spare units than Wldn to play with...

Saffa

The max turn length is 9hrs at NXG, shortest looks to be just over 6 1/2hrs. Your training will be between Swiss, Wldn & NXG. You're a bit more likely to do depot operations and shunting at NXG as they're more likely to have spare units than Wldn to play with...
Thanks Marino!

malor

Max turn length is 9hrs 30mins at NXG

Marino

Out of curiosity, where would you place the "enforced 30 mins overtime" that was signed off last year if I may ask?
I was about to say it reduced from 9 1/4 hrs to 9 as part of last year's pay deal, but malor's put a new perspective on it...

Hoolay88

out of curiosity, where does the training take place, and is there actually car parking for staff at NXG and also where ever the training takes place if not also at NXG?

Thanks.

malor

out of curiosity, where does the training take place, and is there actually car parking for staff at NXG and also where ever the training takes place if not also at NXG?

Thanks.
Training is at Swiss cottage, willesden junction (simulator, PTS and some class training) and NXG depot. And yes there is staff car parking at NXG

baz962

Established Member
Unless anything has changed , there isn't training at NXG . NXG trainee's will do their driving hour's out of there , but that's it

malor

Unless anything has changed , there isn't training at NXG . NXG trainee's will do their driving hour's out of there , but that's it

Training is held at NXG (studs, depot induction, depot familiarisation, and class sessions all count as part of the training which are all held at NXG when you leave Swiss cottage).

Also the driving hours (shed, shunts, day and night driving) all count as part of the training to be honest.

baz962

Established Member
We didn't do class sessions. I'm a Willesden driver granted , but all classes were mixed last year , three of us Willesden and four NXG. Two day's out of the whole training period were at NXG . One familiarisation and an assessment , and that only because Willesden hadn't a spare unit. Other than that the NXG trainee's did their driving hour's.

baz962

Established Member
Two day's doesn't constitute training at NXG. If we had a spare unit , it would of been one day , the induction which isn't trainee driver training as anyone , visitors, contractors , and office staff need induction too.

Turner22

Training is everywhere. I get what both of you are saying. You go where you are told, when you're told.

Status
Not open for further replies.