• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriving at Stansted Airport - will the ticket office let me start short

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Will the Stansted ticket office sell me a single from Elsenham :) or Audley End to Tottenham Hale?

The current guards on the Stansted Express don't seem to know very much so I doubt whether they'd sell such a ticket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
They may (don't know the area or station so can't be definitive) but it would be safer to get it a bit before travel (the day before ideally) as otherwise they ay question why when you are already there.

That said, I'm not sure there is anything saying they shouldn't, but am prepared to be corrected on that

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I will just point out that regardless of whether they should or not, if staff refuse to sell you a ticket, there is pretty much nothing you can do if you need to travel imminently.

Get the ticket beforehand or online if I were you.

GadgetMan

I will just point out that regardless of whether they should or not, if staff refuse to sell you a ticket, there is pretty much nothing you can do if you need to travel imminently.

Get the ticket beforehand or online if I were you.

As above. Buy the ticket you want online, and then collect from a TVM at the station. No risk of hassle then (well not at the ticket office anyway).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm constantly surprised this is still permitted... I'd have thought by now they'd have found a way to stop it- surely just replacing "any permitted" with "not stnsd airpt" would do it?

barrykas

Established Member
I'm constantly surprised this is still permitted... I'd have thought by now they'd have found a way to stop it- surely just replacing "any permitted" with "not stnsd airpt" would do it?

In days of yore there were tickets routed Not Stansted, at least from Cambridge...but they were priced exactly the same as the Any Permitted, thus eventually withdrawn.

The main disadvantage of buying to/from Audley End rather than Stansted itself is that the only period return is an Off-Peak, which isn't valid to arrive into Liverpool Street before 10:00, nor to depart Liverpool Street before 09:30, nor between 16:29 and 18:34 (inclusive).

Cheers,

Barry

paul1609

Established Member
In days of yore there were tickets routed Not Stansted, at least from Cambridge...but they were priced exactly the same as the Any Permitted, thus eventually withdrawn.

The main disadvantage of buying to/from Audley End rather than Stansted itself is that the only period return is an Off-Peak, which isn't valid to arrive into Liverpool Street before 10:00, nor to depart Liverpool Street before 09:30, nor between 16:29 and 18:34 (inclusive).

Cheers,

Barry

Slightly off topic but is it still only Southern TVMs that have a "buy from another station" button. This seems to have been extended throughout the Southern Network now even to the older style machines.

island

Veteran Member
The ticket office downstairs ought to sell you it on request. If it's closed, the guard ought to sell you it as well (but you are strictly supposed to buy some sort of ticket from the TVM and part-exchange it). The office in the arrivals hall is useless so probably won't do it.

I agree with everyone else that buying online is better.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm constantly surprised this is still permitted... I'd have thought by now they'd have found a way to stop it
If it's a "Protected Fare" then the available route(s) may be protected as well as the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.