• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arsenal vs Liverpool potentially to be moved to Christmas Eve (Update: plans now abandoned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 170101

Established Member
Noticed subsequently that there are three Premier League Games on that Saturday 12:30, 17:30 and 19:45. So doesn't look like there is a Championship games that day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

Noticed subsequently that there are three Premier League Games on that Saturday 12:30, 17:30 and 19:45. So doesn't look like there is a Championship games that day.

BT have the 17:30 Premier League games on Saturdays, Sky will often have a Championship game at the same time.

Gemz91

Next batch of televised Championship games on Sky are apparently announced on the 8th of November, no doubt at least one will be shifted to Christmas Eve.

Howardh

Established Member
BBC reporting the Xmas eve games are not going ahead.
I note that the games have been taken off the 24th - not due to the concerns for travelling fans, but that the clubs can't guarantee getting the correct amount of staff/stewards in.

marks87

Established Member
I note that the games have been taken off the 24th - not due to the concerns for travelling fans, but that the clubs can't guarantee getting the correct amount of staff/stewards in.
The games were never on the 24th in the first place.

It was all just baseless speculation, with plenty of straw men thrown in to attack Sky (not here specifically, but in the media reports and other forums).

Darandio

Established Member
The games were never on the 24th in the first place.

It was all just baseless speculation, with plenty of straw men thrown in to attack Sky (not here specifically, but in the media reports and other forums).

Games were planned to be moved to the 24th, the Premier League had stated as such long before it all blew up simply because of their obligation to the broadcaster(s). But this is absolutely no different than planning any other weekend.

The main issue was that because people/media/whoever assumed that the broadcaster(s) would most likely go ahead with it and went on the offensive. We now know they didn't.

marks87

Established Member
Games were planned to be moved to the 24th, the Premier League had stated as such long before it all blew up simply because of their obligation to the broadcaster(s). But this is absolutely no different than planning any other weekend.

I don't think I saw any claim that games were being planned for the 24th. The closest is the PL saying that no games on the 24th would kick-off after 4pm (or words to that effect) but that's not saying that games would actually be moved to any time.

Everything on this prior that statement was pure media speculation based on Christmas Eve being a Sunday, and Sunday being Sky's prime football day.

SteveP29

Nothing unusual with the Live TV scheduling not giving a t*ss about travelling fans, look at how the poor 'Toon' fans have been scheduled at daft O'Clock away on the South Coast during the festive period in previous seasons......T'was ever thus I'm afraid..... :(

Never mind the Christmas period, look what they've done to us so far this season:
Swansea, 360 miles, Sunday 4pm
Brighton, 345 miles, Sunday 4pm
Southampton, 322 miles, Sunday 4pm
Burnley, 116 miles, Monday 20:00

Can I chip in about Boxing Day derbies? It seems that these are thin on the ground these days because Football league clubs can't find the money to pay for the increased police and stewarding costs on Bank Holiday rates (or higher) - I note mine has had this problem before and has moved fixtures away from Boxing day (and other holidays) to a Tuesday evening.

They're thin on the ground because television companies wanted to spread the 'big' games, ie the derbies around the season so they have more chance of showing them all.
Away from the North East, I wouldn't imagine there's much interest in Newcastle v sunderland, but these games were almost always televised live, much like I couldn't really care about Manchester United v Manchester City, I find Spurs v Arsenal to be incredibly tedious in the last 10 years, even though there's been some extremely talented footballers on display.
A lot of fans around the country are finding football at the highest level to be repetitive, boring and staid. I've paid a merely passing interest in the Champions League final in recent years, had it on the tv but not really taken much notice. As with the 'top' Premier League fixtures, I find that game to be ultimately, a very boring experience, where the talent on each time largely cancels each other out, no wonder non league is seeing a resurgence in crowds
I'd probably only show an interest if it was to directly affect Newcastle's league position

Cletus

Established Member
The National League is probably the most geographically-spread league for travelling.

Already this season Dover Athletic have been to:
Hartlepool
Halifax (Tuesday night)
Macclesfield (Friday evening)
Tranmere (Saturday evening)
Guiseley
Torquay

This Saturday we're away to Gateshead, then to come includes Wrexham, Chester, Fylde and Barrow.

LuSiVe

When we join you next season at least we're nice and central for the travelling :)

Our 'local derby' would appear to be Halifax though....

Status
Not open for further replies.