...as this station has a short platform

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by SETCommuter, 5 Mar 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

The new station platform at Conon Bridge (this railway station, situated between Muir of Ord and Dingwall, was opened a matter of a month ago) that was constructed to a high standard, is only 15 metres in length. One has to remember the type of units that use this line.

2. quarella

quarella Member

Not concerned with feelings of inadequacy but I agree with the OP that as the platform length is fixed (for that location) and the train length varies then the announcement should be that the train is too long for the platform.
    But when has the railway been concerned about the niceties of the English language. Station stop/Final terminus!!/..will call at the following principal stations:-Gowerton/Journeycheck updates unable to cope with the past tense.

3. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

But during a single journey (barring splitting services) the train remains the same length, whilst each platform is of a different length
    (he says, perpetuating the borderline metaphysical wibble)

4. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

Yeah. I've always interpreted it as "compared to all the other stations with their perfectly adequate long platforms, THIS station has a short platform".

"Due to a long train, customers for Clapham Junction should join the front 6 coaches" just sounds confusing to me ;)

5. IanD

IanD Established Member

Yet still you feel compelled to comment :roll:

Labelling the OP an idiot is a bit rich.

If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. Simples. If you think it's inappropriate or in the wrong place, that's what the 'Report' button is for.

6. O L Leigh

O L Leigh Established Member

...as you could have done with my post if you'd felt it wide of the mark rather than simply being patronising.

I certainly don't recall calling the OP an idiot. I simply asked what he was going on about.

O L Leigh

7. BOBmcbob

BOBmcbob Member

At Isleworth the platform is too short for the 8 coach 450s but not the older 455s or the slammers before them.

8. IanXC

IanXC Emeritus Moderator

Thats interesting - on 170s, when travelling eastbound, and calling at South Milford on TPE services to Hull if the service is formed of 2x 170, the Guard can be seen to open a panel on each door on the rearmost coach, and presumably isolate the door.

I guess the 170 fleet must have some with and some without SDO?

9. Rich McLean

Rich McLean Established Member

The Costwold line is fun on an HST. Depending on which station, sometimes its the rear of the train, and sometimes its the front. Lots of exercise for the TM, but most regular passengers on that line know which coach to sit in in order to get off

10. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

There are quite a lot of stations that have short platforms, but problems will also occur when the train itself is formed of more carriages than will normally call at the shorter stations. The local door procedure that I have been trained on is that you open the front door only, regardless of how many doors fit on the platform, even if you've got a 6 car set on a 5 car platform, front door only.

11. GatwickDepress

GatwickDepress Established Member

Ah, the 442s. Clapham Junction has a very borderline example relating to them. The very last door on Victoria bound trains always seem to overhang the curve at the platform's end, and one occasion wasn't even on. Walking up past the "passengers must not pass this point" got me a very strange look from a member of staff.

Perhaps I should pack a hi-vis vest just in case it happens again.

12. island

island Established Member

And it can be different at the same station on different days if the train is reverse formed.

13. TEW

TEW Established Member

If the train is in reverse formation it will generally be the opposite to normal. The idea is to platform the TGS unless the signalling prevents it. I'm not sure which stations that affects on the Cotswold Line though.

14. Rich McLean

Rich McLean Established Member

On a Saturday, Shipton, Normal Formation on the UP, Coach H only

15. D1009

D1009 Established Member

I remember returning from Stroud a couple of years back on a very lightly loaded late running evening HST on a Cheltenham-Swindon working which was returning to Swindon before going ECS to St Philips Marsh. This must be a pain of a route to work with an HST as each station has a different portion of the train platformed. The particular Train Manager solved the problem by locking the entire standard class accommodation out of use and only using the first class! This resulted in quite a lot of time being regained.

16. TEW

TEW Established Member

Perhaps there aren't HST stops boards fitted at Shipton then. They're required for the train to stop with the TGS platformed if the TGS is at the rear. The HST stop boards have been fitted pretty much everywhere though including Yeovil Junction-Exeter St Davids and Castle Cary-Weymouth.

17. Cheds

Cheds Member

In nearly the same spirit as the OP, the standard TPE announcement on leaving Manchester Piccadilly to head north is:

"We apologise for the overcrowding on this service:this is due to the large number of passengers"

Since this is so regular, perhaps replace by: "......due to the train not being long enough"

18. cjp

cjp Member

YES!

Someone else who challenges inappropriate announcements whose frequent use makes them seem correct.

Praise to the original poster.:)

Negative easements anyone??

19. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

We have to do that with 6 car 185 formations if we are due to stop at liver south p/way, Warrington cent, or sesame (chester-le) street. as the platforms can only take 5 cars it is either isolate the rear 3 by the udb (unit door block) switch and despatch from the GOP or lock the carriage doors of the rear coach out of use. With Yarm the rear 3 have to be isolated as you can get barely 3 1/2 on.

As a throwback to my XC days the 09:03 PAD-MAN sat used to be formed of a west coast hst set (8+2) with a Solihull stop at 6 car length which a hst set was too long for but with grandfather rights was allowed to release doors and away the punters went. On introduction of voyagers said wc hst was replaced by 2x220 coupled together. Because of the Solihull stop back 4 locked out of use!!!

Oh, by the way. The hst buffet car on a sat morning did a roaring trade. Excess of £500 between slough and leamington spa. 8 cars.
    Voyager, 4 cars. With the embarassing situation of the rear 4 LOOU for the sake of one station stop no one used! full and standing from reading with still the Thames valley stops still to go and people left behind. Shop takes less than £50. That is just 10% for the same train time.

You do the maths. And they call this progress!!!

20. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Did First TPE experience a similar problem at Salford Crescent with 6 car Class 185 formations, which hopefully will be eradicated once the platform lengthening is completed. One such journey was the service that leaves Manchester Airport just prior to 0930 comprised of a 3-car set to Windermere and a 3-car set to Blackpool, that split at Preston.

21. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

Yes, 6 cars are too long as it currently stands. Although I don't know the arrangements for 185's here. I sign the route and traction but use SFC only for reversal movements and not as a station stop

22. 221129

221129 Established Member

This happens often on the HST from Paignton - Newton Abbot in the evenings.

23. Chrisgr31

Chrisgr31 Established Member

I regularly complain about this to my fellow passengers on the Uckfield line. The reality is that the platform (well in most cases) was built before the train and therefore it is the train that is too long not the platform that is too short.

Announcements that delays are caused by congestion also irritate me on the basis that the congestion is a symptom of the original delay, not the cause of it.

24. kieron

kieron Established Member

Do the trains you work on have designated doors for things like wheelchairs and bicycles, which may have trouble traversing a carriage? I'm trying to understand how a policy like that could work.

25. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

Yes. You just use your common sense and good customer service when people are boarding by asking them where they are going.

26. O L Leigh

Oh, the pedantry. What shall we do? Run shorter trains?

O L Leigh

27. Chrisgr31

Chrisgr31 Established Member

Nope, just make correct announcements!

28. O L Leigh

The existing announcement is as correct as your preference.

O L Leigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.