• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

...as this station has a short platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

SETCommuter

Does it ? Or is the train too long ?

The platform length is constant and the train length varies so why do the announcements make the poor platform feel inadequate ?

Discuss :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member

The platform length is constant and the train length varies so why do the announcements make the poor platform feel inadequate ?

But is the same platform always the same length *I'm looking at you XC* as some guards say the first 2 some say the first 3 and some say the first 4 for exactly the same platform on the same service with the same units (1x 2car 170 at front and 1x 3car 170 at rear) often on the same day of the week

O L Leigh

Established Member
I don't understand what the OP is asking. Platform lengths are not constant as some are shorter than others, which is why it is important to make passengers aware that the SDO will be in operation at certain stations and where in the train they should be if they wish to get out.

As for the number of doors opened on Cl170s, it all depends on where in the train the conductor is when he deselects the doors. They certainly do know how the SDO works and do not release doors not accommodated on the platform.

O L Leigh

LCC106

Established Member
Perhaps there should be an emergency platforms hotline, a bit like the emergency cones hotline on motorways...? :D

rebmcr

Established Member
If you have been affected by the issues raised in this thread, please move into the front carriages of the train, as the doors in the rear carriage will not open at this station.

dysonsphere

Not sure buts its a popular excuse not to add extra carriages on some routes. (thats if they could find them)

Buttsy

Established Member
There's a couple of stations where it's local door only!

Gilfach Fargoed & Three Oaks (or is it Doleham) would be examples.

Having boarded trains at Braystones, Falls Of Crucahan and Berney Arms, the guard has used the local door to allow passengers on even though there were other doors adjacent to the platform.

Michael.Y

Established Member
There's a couple of stations where it's local door only!

There's more than a couple. There's at least 10 in Wales alone I can think of.

Regardless, this is a fairly pointless, silly thread. Varieties in platform length, single/selective door opening and conductor/DOO safety procedure have been and will be discussed at length elsewhere and for less spurious reasons than this.

Buttsy

Established Member
And just to upset the first class punters, standard class folk sometimes have to alight via first class.

I've always wondered about that on the Cotswold line when in reverse formation with full buffet car as there are guards who stop people alighting through 1st at Oxford, do they charge Standard ticket holders to alight at Hanborough (1st 3 coaches only)...??? :D

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I've always wondered about that on the Cotswold line when in reverse formation with full buffet car as there are guards who stop people alighting through 1st at Oxford, do they charge Standard ticket holders to alight at Hanborough (1st 3 coaches only)...??? :D

I was on the 2007 Nottingham - Derby service a few days ago, an EMT HST originating from St. Pancras. Announced that standard class pax would need to move up to First Class to alight at Long Eaton. I was almost surprised that the two RPO's remained in the quiet coach at the rear of the train!

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Are you worried about the feelings of a inanimate section of concrete/brick/tarmac/steel?

Established Member
The display boards on Greater Anglia 170s say 'front two carriages only' next to stations which have short platforms. The problem is, the 2-car ones do it as well, and the displays fitted to the refurbished 156s use the same software so also do it!

stut

Established Member
Perhaps there should be an emergency platforms hotline, a bit like the emergency cones hotline on motorways...? :D

Wouldn't people just call it to discuss 1970s footwear, just as they called the latter to request a 99 Flake to be delivered to their car?

LCC106

Established Member
Wouldn't people just call it to discuss 1970s footwear, just as they called the latter to request a 99 Flake to be delivered to their car?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: And there I was for all these years thinking the cones hotline was a bit like a lonely hearts hotline :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sarahj

Established Member
On our 442's you can either open the front 5 or all 10, so at stations like plumpton which can cope with a 7 cars on a 377 its front 5 only on the 442'2 that stop.

The fun and games happen at places like portslade where the up can cope with 12, but the down 7. The gps is not that accurate and auto girl says 7, no matter which way you are going.

I still say that the extention of billingshurst of the down to 8 was a big waste of money. On the evening rush hour trains that are longer than 4 everyone walks down and gets out the front door (delaying the train) as its closer to the exit, dispite the fact that if you get out of eg coach 4 and walk down the platform, you get to coach 1 while people are still getting out.

mumble grumble

Qwerty133

Established Member
I don't understand what the OP is asking. Platform lengths are not constant as some are shorter than others, which is why it is important to make passengers aware that the SDO will be in operation at certain stations and where in the train they should be if they wish to get out.

As for the number of doors opened on Cl170s, it all depends on where in the train the conductor is when he deselects the doors. They certainly do know how the SDO works and do not release doors not accommodated on the platform.

O L Leigh

So s/he will know exactly where on the train he will opening the doors before departure from the first station to be able to say how many coaches. (At least 1 guard has said to me that he purposely says front 2 only to make his job easier). And next time I travel on this service with one of the guards that don't use SDO I will try and get a photo to prove it!.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was on the 2007 Nottingham - Derby service a few days ago, an EMT HST originating from St. Pancras. Announced that standard class pax would need to move up to First Class to alight at Long Eaton. I was almost surprised that the two RPO's remained in the quiet coach at the rear of the train!

That's weird as long eatons platforms are 4 coaches long and there is only 3 coaches of first class on emt hsts

asylumxl

Established Member
Some people have no sympathy.

It's not enough that the platform is made to feel inadequate by being constantly referred to as short, the poor platform is constantly stepped/trod on all day long, often has rubbish thrown upon it and there's the off chance someone may even defecated on it.

This cruelty has to stop :(...

IanD

Established Member

Regardless, this is a fairly pointless, silly thread. Varieties in platform length, single/selective door opening and conductor/DOO safety procedure have been and will be discussed at length elsewhere and for less spurious reasons than this.

:roll:I despair sometimes, I really do. God forbid anyone should have a sense of humour.:roll:

Think we should update the forum rules to make :lol: or :D or :p mandatory for "humerous" posts. But wait, the OP did include one, my bad :oops:

Anyway to the OP, you British, you always go on about the size. I'm talking about ze flavour! Nudge, nudge, ;) ;)

O L Leigh

Established Member
:roll:I despair sometimes, I really do. God forbid anyone should have a sense of humour.:roll:

Think we should update the forum rules to make :lol: or :D or :p mandatory for "humerous" posts. But wait, the OP did include one, my bad :oops:

So, once again, we get idiocy excused as humour.

Well, fair enough. If this is just a silly thread full of wibble and not a discussion about the railway perhaps it should be moved to a more appropriate part of the forum.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.