• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asbestos in steam locomotives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWTH

Do you mean locomotives currently in existence?

Asbestos lagging was used extensively around boilers and cylinders up until the late 1960's. No working steam loco that I am aware of in the UK still has any asbestos lagging, though several non-working locos retain their asbestos. The Isle of Man Steam Railway for example has a Beyer-Peacock 2-4-0T in a hermetically sealed section of their sheds because it contains asbestos.

oddiesjack

As well as boiler/cylinder lagging, there is graphited asbestos used in stuffing glands and also for mudhole/manhole door joints, It was also widely used in sheet material used for making steam-tight joints and it not unreasonable to expect that some of this may still be encountered. Whilst it is now illegal to sell asbestos-based products for the above purposes, I do not believe it is illegal to use it (for example if you have the materials in stock).

markindurham

The presence of asbestos is one of the reasons why it's unlikely that 46235 "City of Birmingham" will be released from the "Think Tank" in Birmingham any time soon, I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.