• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ascot-Ash Junction line

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWTDesiro

It's strange that this line runs from Ascot (which connects with the Reading Line) and joins at Ash Junction BUT then runs to Aldershot (which connects with Guildford line and services to Waterloo.) It occured to me why aren't there direct services from London Waterloo to Guildford via Richmond and Ascot? I know during engineering works on the mainline services are diverted via this route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's strange that this line runs from Ascot (which connects with the Reading Line) and joins at Ash Junction BUT then runs to Aldershot (which connects with Guildford line and services to Waterloo.)
Is it? Why?:s
It occurred to me why aren't there direct services from London Waterloo to Guildford via Richmond and Ascot? I know during engineering works on the mainline services are diverted via this route.
Because there's already enough trains between Ascot & Waterloo, so there is no need for these trains to continue beyond Ascot.

There are some peak hour trains that continue beyond Ascot, such as the 1805 Waterloo - Aldershot. It arrives in Aldershot considerably later than the 1825 Waterloo - Alton.

SWTDesiro

Is it? Why?:s

Because there's already enough trains between Ascot & Waterloo, so there is no need for these trains to continue beyond Ascot.

There are some peak hour trains that continue beyond Ascot, such as the 1805 Waterloo - Aldershot. It arrives in Aldershot considerably later than the 1825 Waterloo - Alton.

So what's the point of the peak service?

hotelmode

A direct service to Bagshot, Camberley and Frimley. Aldershot is just the first place to turn back/stable.

During the day the trains dont 'connect' to the Guildford line at Aldershot, they reverse and are the Guildford line.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
More people travel at peak times, therefore there is more demand for extra services east of Ascot. It also provides some through services for commuters from intermediate stations.

Additional trains at peak times are common throughout the network.

SWTDesiro

More people travel at peak times, therefore there is more demand for extra services east of Ascot. It also provides some through services for commuters from intermediate stations.

Additional trains at peak times are common throughout the network.

Yes there is also a through train during peak hours from London Waterloo to Shepperton via Richmond which calls at Vauxhall, Clapham Jctn, Putney, Richmond, Twickenham then all stops.

chrisdoward

Oh ok. So were there ever direct services to Guildford via Ascot?

I'm not sure when direct non-peak services from Waterloo to Guildford ended. Probably sometimes in the 80's.

In the 1978/79 WTT the off-peak service from Waterloo was:

xx:05 Guildford via Richmond fast to Feltham Headcode: 26
xx:23 Guildford via Richmond fast to Richmond Headcode: 28
xx:35 Reading via Richmond fast to Feltham Headcode: 36
xx:53 Reading via Richmond fast to Richmond Headcode: 38

The xx:35 connected into the xx:23 and the xx:05 connected into the xx:53 at Ascot, so there was a logic to the service pattern even if doesn't seem so from what's above.

I also have vague memories of there being a direct service during the off-peak in the early 90's with the service pattern between one train an hour to Reading and one to Guildford, with the other half-hour being covered by a Reading - Guildford via Ascot service and vv. As I say this is only vague memory but I am fairly certain it happened

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
1N93, 1705 London Waterloo to Aldershot via Ascot, arriving at 1831 forms 2N51, 1838 Aldershot to Guildford so it is a through service, it's just not advertised as one.

The Colonel

1N93, 1705 London Waterloo to Aldershot via Ascot, arriving at 1831 forms 2N51, 1838 Aldershot to Guildford so it is a through service, it's just not advertised as one.

And as it happens guys & gals I was on it tonight. Leaves from P2 at Ascot whereas the usual shuttle uses P3, so a semi rare crossover. The 08.26 (07.58 ex Richmond) & 19.01 (18.05 ex Waterloo) also do this crossover. According to the TT at Ascot all London services use P1, so the 06.28, 06.59 & 07.29 ex Aldershot to W'loo services do the corresponding up crossover.

IIRC there was a photo of three trains leaving Guildford, all bound for Waterloo, one via Ascot, one via Woking and one via Cobham in Southern Railway days, at something like 9.47 a.m. in one of the SR history books.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I'm not sure when direct non-peak services from Waterloo to Guildford ended. Probably sometimes in the 80's.

In the 1978/79 WTT the off-peak service from Waterloo was:

xx:05 Guildford via Richmond fast to Feltham Headcode: 26
xx:23 Guildford via Richmond fast to Richmond Headcode: 28
xx:35 Reading via Richmond fast to Feltham Headcode: 36
xx:53 Reading via Richmond fast to Richmond Headcode: 38

The xx:35 connected into the xx:23 and the xx:05 connected into the xx:53 at Ascot, so there was a logic to the service pattern even if doesn't seem so from what's above.

I also have vague memories of there being a direct service during the off-peak in the early 90's with the service pattern between one train an hour to Reading and one to Guildford, with the other half-hour being covered by a Reading - Guildford via Ascot service and vv. As I say this is only vague memory but I am fairly certain it happened

I used to travel on that line as a child in the 80s / early 90s. I still have lots of edmonson card and early Aptis tickets for this route. I clearly remember that the regular off peak service from Frimley was 1tph to Waterloo and 1tph to Reading. Think it might have been different midweek, but I have lots of old timetables at home so will consult them later after work.

Status
Not open for further replies.