• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ash39's Trip Reports & Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Crikey you did well there! As always some beautiful shots too, which takes some doing to make the 313s look good. You're right that the 313s are seriously unloved, I suspect that'll change once a confirmed date for the 717s is known, thankfully my last one with GN fell some time ago. I really must have a farewell spin on them at some point in the coming months, especially as there's some shacks they serve that I need...

My highest mileage train is 43002, at a little short of 3,000 recorded miles. I might have had it from Swindon to Paddington via Melksham as well, but my notes aren't clear so I've not included that. Next closest would be 43152 at around 1,500, as well as 43006 and 43008 before renumbering which were on around 1,150. Those are almost overtaken by my only MU to clear 1,000 in the form of 175116, which is on 1,100 and something.

Overall your short notice trip yielded a ton of results and I've got even more taste for visiting London later this week than ever before. My return to the UK rails is only 5 days away!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Was a good day, thanks for your patience putting up with my old man shuffling!

Two other incidents I recall with bemusement and annoyance are the painted blue club guy and his jawa like missus as well as the guard completely letting off that annoying old woman who had a 2 month out of day railcard. Like you said, if that was us.......?

ash39

Established Member
A busy day for your red pen in London today :)

Just so much to go after in London. Predictably I really want to go back now for a proper session!

Crikey you did well there! As always some beautiful shots too, which takes some doing to make the 313s look good.

Thankfully my 'proper' camera is fine, it just ran itself flat. Pretty annoyed with myself now as I missed out on some good shots of moving trains, as the phone camera isn't up to it.

My highest mileage train is 43002, at a little short of 3,000 recorded miles. I might have had it from Swindon to Paddington via Melksham as well, but my notes aren't clear so I've not included that. Next closest would be 43152 at around 1,500, as well as 43006 and 43008 before renumbering which were on around 1,150. Those are almost overtaken by my only MU to clear 1,000 in the form of 175116, which is on 1,100 and something.

Some big numbers there. My highest is 91103 on just over 600 miles. I've only had records from 2013 though. I suspect some of the VTEC IET's will end up being my highest mileage units over the next decade or so...

Was a good day, thanks for your patience putting up with my old man shuffling!

Two other incidents I recall with bemusement and annoyance are the painted blue club guy and his jawa like missus as well as the guard completely letting off that annoying old woman who had a 2 month out of day railcard. Like you said, if that was us.......?

I totally forgot about the guy on the tube with the blue paint, that should have made the report!

ash39

Established Member
Been fairly quiet since the London move, bar a couple of mini trips. Saturday 28th October I had another family trip to Skipton, which pocketed me a winner - 333016 on the outbound leg from Leeds. No more winners, but 185151 took us back from Leeds to Garforth, which was my first experience of the TPE refurbishment. Really like the overall look, but the metal seat backs in lilac sticks out to me, especially as some were scratched/chipped. I can’t believe that it would have added too much time and cost to the project to powdercoat them all in cool grey to match the blue fabric.

I also took the kids to a Lego exhibition at the NRM in Shildon on 11th November. Other than the winner shack at Shildon, I got almost nothing from this trip until the very last leg when winner 150270 was paired with mileage requirement 144009. Unfortunately, it would remain a mileage requirement as the Poppleton run only boosted it from two to five miles! However the exhibition and museum were excellent, if a bit busy. Will definitely return at some point.

West Yorkshire Day Rover – Sunday 12th October 2017

I was meeting some colleagues in Leeds for some drinks on Sunday afternoon, but I had a free day so to make the most of it I dragged myself out of bed for an early start. I caught the 0733 bus to the station, where I bought a return to Micklefield and my day rover, which the ticket office had no problems issuing. When checking the opening times the previous day, I was surprised to find it was staffed from 0730 to 2130 on Sundays. It actually closes at 2100 every other day, no idea why it’s later on Sundays.

66023 and 68003 were in the parcels sidings. Seen a wide variety of locos stabled there over the years but never a DB 66.

68003 & 66023 York 12/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I boarded dud 185144 to Leeds. The guard was incredibly cheery for the time of morning, but didn’t seem to like my ticket combination. I wasn’t challenged directly but I got a feeling it didn't go down well even though it was valid. We startled four deer somewhere around Church Fenton and they shot off into the woods. The weather was cold but glorious sunshine, I was ruing not having my proper camera with me, especially after the number of times I’ve lugged it around on dull cloudy days. It was another refurbished 185, and the seat backs still bugged me...

I made for the 1040 Morecambe train, formed of sub-ten mile 150226. I bailed at Shipley, hoping to find one of my last three 333’s. I had two shots at it, the first from Skipton was 333002 so I switched to the other side of the triangle and was rewarded with winner 333012. I could have bailed at required Kirkstall Forge, but staying on would clear it for ten miles in one swoop, and my plan was to see what was on the 0950 EMT service to St Pancras.

The EMT turned out to be double duds 43058 and 43059. Plan B was to wait for the York-Halifax service. I’d passed this on the way in from York, and it was refurbished (and required) 155346 with an unidentified 158. Unfortunately, the 155 had been left behind at York so when a single dud 158 rolled in, plan C was engaged which involved taking a TPE service to Huddersfield. I took the time I had at Leeds to redeem a free coffee I had on my Starbucks card, maxing out the value ordering a large Eggnog Latte. A bit early for festive drinks but it was just what I needed, if only to warm my hands up!

It proved to be the right call to engage plan C, as winner 185148 was on my Huddersfield train. Another refurbished set, they must be flying through them now. We were around 2 late which made my connection tight, thankfully it held as it was double winners 150147 and 142049! I took them to winner shack Slaithwaite. This was likely to be the only shack score of the day, as most of my remaining West Yorkshire stations are poorly served on Sundays.

142049 Slaithwaite 12/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

It was a +24 here, but at least it had warmed up a bit from earlier. I typed up most of this report during the wait, before eventually a pair of 142’s approached (9 late). It stopped way short of the platform and shunted forward again, and the rear unit had monumental wheel flats. Clearly struggling for grip with the leaf fall in the area. I’d got my hopes up for another 142 score but unfortunately it was double duds 142058 and 142040.

142040 Huddersfield 12/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The delay at Slaithwaite cut down my wait at Huddersfield, so no harm done. A productive morning was topped off nicely when poppy liveried 185111 approached Huddersfield to take me back to Leeds. This put me into single figures for 185 requirements, the last ones will no doubt be a pain to track down!

185111 Leeds 12/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

It was now 1145, and I was done for the time being. On the walk to meet my mates, I spotted 155346 crossing the bridge at the bottom of Briggate. A bit of searching through RTT showed it was due to work a Blackburn to York train that would get me back for a reasonable time, so that was noted for later.

I had a most enjoyable afternoon with some great beer (and my first game of shuffleboard!). I returned to the station at 1843 to see 333006 about to leave. I wasn’t about to let my penultimate one go, so I jumped on. I was going to bail at Kirkstall Forge but it was a 40 minute wait for the same unit back. It seems like every time I have a WYDR I intend to go to Kirkstall Forge but never quite manage it. In fact, it turned out the best option I had available was to ride through to Bradford Forster Square and back, so that’s what I did.

I had the option to catch a Manchester Victoria service as far as New Pudsey to meet 155346 coming the other way, but it was a very dud 158 and it also looked busy, so I decided to flag it. Annoyingly, two of my last five Northern 158’s were about to leave, but neither of them offered a connection that would get me back in time for the 155. One of them was my last 3-car set, 158753, on the Harrogate loop of all places. Had I been in possession of a standard York to Leeds return, I’d have been tempted to take it all the way back.

I then got well and truly stitched up by 155346 for the second time of the day, as dud 158795 showed up instead. Must have been a unit swap at Blackburn. I boarded anyway, as there was no quicker way to get home at this point. In spite of this, I couldn’t complain at what I’d got considering I was only on the move for around 5-6 hours in total, and I was home for 2030.

Day summary:

185144 YRK-LDS
150226 LDS-SHY
333012 SHY-LDS
185148 LDS-HUD
150147 & 142049 HUD-SWT
142058 & 142040 SWT-HUD
185111 HUD-LDS
333006 LDS-BFS
333006 BFS-LDS
158795 LDS-YRK

1 new station: Slaithwaite
6 new units: 1x 142, 1x 150, 2x 185, 2x 333
6 dud units: 2x 142, 1x 150, 1x 158, 1x 185, 1x 333

Day mileage: 143 miles

Kite159

Veteran Member
A few more winning units into your book, especially with the poor service offered at some of the stations on a Sunday

ash39

Established Member
Which ones are you after? Most of mine are in the upper number range...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171113-200431.png
    Screenshot_20171113-200431.png
    589.6 KB · Views: 40

ash39

Established Member
108 is a funny one for me, even my children have had 200+ miles on it... always seems to turn up when we go to Manchester Airport. One awful journey sticks in my mind though. The previous service was cancelled, so no seat reservations were in place. There were suitcases and people scattered everywhere. I managed to get the people sat in our original booked bay of four to reluctantly move (they weren't obliged to of course but my youngest was only 2 at the time). Of course we only had 3 seats reserved, so I spent the journey pressed against the door window by a suitcase and bike which kept whacking my leg every time we hit a bit of rough track... dreadful experience!

I'm sure you'll be tempted up to this part of the world when the 68's start next year, good opportunity to hunt down your last half-dozen 185's at the same time...

ash39

Established Member
Derbyshire Wayfarer – Friday 24th November 2017

This would be the beginning of a fairly busy week of trips. I’d planned to meet my mate in the early evening, but managed to finish work early. Not quite as early as I’d hoped as I was stuck in a meeting so I had to adjust my plan. I got parked at Meadowhall just before 1330 and bought my return ticket to Sheffield. Dud 144015 took me there, clearing 50 miles in the process.

I purchased my Wayfarer after a bit of a queue, luckily there was no rush as there were no trains south due to leave. I was prepared to do a Voyager move to Derby, but it was delayed so much that it eventually became apparent that the 1429 EMT service would be leaving before it. Unfortunately this was dud 222006, from the last Derbyshire Wayfarer I did in September. Not a great start to the day. I also had to wait 15 minutes for it to leave but at least it was a nice quiet service. I got a table seat to charge my phone but I realised after 10 minutes it wasn't adding any charge. It was shortly after that I noticed a message on the scrolling display explaining that the train goes into eco mode when it's parked up for long periods, and will return to normal shortly before departure. Good idea.

By starting slightly later and then being delayed by the Voyager, I had missed out on a run to Long Eaton. No big deal as the station was already ticked off, and there was a good chance the units I was planning to use to get there would feature later in the day. I therefore had a comfortable connection at Derby onto what would be my first experience of a Cross Country 170. First two as it turned out, as the station announcement declared it was formed of five coaches. Winners 170103 and 170117 took me to winner shack Willington. By complete chance I’d boarded the 3-car unit, which was fortunate as the rear two didn’t fit on the platform at Willington. I heard no announcement at Derby regarding this, so there was a good chance some Willington passengers were trapped in 170117!

I had another nice connection here. Just enough time to see the Voyager I intended to catch at Sheffield come barrelling through. 170101 returned me to Derby. We lost a bit of time on the approach which made my connection a bit dodgy. Platform 6 at Derby is narrow so I couldn’t even dash for it due to the crowds, but I made it over to platform 2 with a minute or so to spare onto double winners 153308 and 153321 which I took to Tutbury & Hatton.

153321 Tutbury & Hatton 24/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

A nice +7 here, but any tighter and it could have been iffy as it’s a staggered platform separated by a level crossing. I made it over and expected another 153 pairing back to Derby, but it was 158889. Relative luxury compared to the 153, although I only managed to get a tip up seat in the aisle. I checked my sheet and saw it was a winner, but I had it marked down as a South West Trains unit. I vaguely remembered something about it transferring to EMT a couple of years ago. I also noticed the carriage numbers when getting off (52808 & 57808), and remembered that it was former 3-car Trans-Pennine unit 158808 (the centre car now being part of Northern 158754). A well travelled unit!

158889 Derby 24/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I was now due to go meet my mate at Chesterfield. Happily this was a Cross Country HST northbound, to meet another coming back. I was hoping one of them would have my last power car on. I didn’t have to wait long in the end, as 43357 crawled into platform 1. Cross Country power cars cleared! At Chesterfield the rear power car was ID’d, 43303.

My mate was already here, as he’d taken a pair of 158’s ahead of the HST. 43321 and 43301 took us back to Derby. Everything seemed to be delayed by a few minutes, making sticking to a plan tricky. It also made getting infrequently served stations tricky, but we pressed on regardless and took 153379 to Spondon.

153379 Spondon 24/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

170636 took us back again, and it was a carbon copy of earlier in the day trying to pick a path through the passengers on the narrow platform. This time it was in vain, as we missed our planned move to Long Eaton by a few seconds. A shame as it was required 156405, and it would have meant I’d travelled on every type of EMT unit in a day.

We went to Long Eaton anyway, as we still had time to get there and meet the return train. We took winner 222013. By now I was really quite hungry, so it was another déjà vu moment as we visited the same corner shop we’d visited when we first ticked off Long Eaton in September. None of the ‘real’ food looked at all appetising so I just got a Mars bar to keep me going. It was a special edition brownie version so it caught my attention. In the end, it tasted just like a marginally firmer standard bar. You could probably achieve the same by putting one in the fridge.

Dud 153381 and winner 153385 took us to Derby again. Next on our plan was Burton-on-Trent but the connection was starting to look iffy due to some more minor delays. We pressed on anyway, taking 170398 to Burton-on-Trent.

170398 Burton-on-Trent 24/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Our service made up a couple of minutes and our return train lost a few, so in the end it was a comfortable connection. As Burton is a large island platform, we even had opportunity to watch impeccably timed 66122 pass through with a rake of hoppers before walking over to catch the HST.

43285 and 43304 were up next, third XC HST of the day. For the first time of the day, we stayed on board at Derby and travelled through to Chesterfield. I went to pick up my bag to leave the train and noticed a GWR reservation label on the floor next to it. It was dated 18th November, and it was from Birmingham New Street to Wakefield Westgate! My theory is the electronic reservations system must have been down so they ran off some manual ones at Laira. Seeing as it had already been there for the best part of a week, I thought I'd do a good deed and get rid of it for them...

43285 Chesterfield 24/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Our last shack target of the day was Langley Mill, and we noticed there was a decent looking chippy just yards from the station. I spotted a late running Norwich service which we could jump on first, which scored Alfreton for my mate. 158788 and 158854 were both unfortunately dud, but it broke up the wait. Our Langley Mill train had suddenly lost 6 minutes, so once again we were chipless. We missed out at Dronfield last time we did a Derbyshire Wayfarer because the queue was out of the door and we only had a +10!

158784 did the honours from Alfreton to Langley Mill. In the end, we were moving at a sedate pace and we were now wondering if we’d even make our HST back. If not, it would have been a 50 minute wait for the same unit back. At least chips could be sourced, but neither of us fancied being stuck there for that length of time. We made a run for the HST, it was another staggered platform with a road underpass splitting the two. We made it with about 30 seconds to spare before the headlights appeared. Much like when we boarded a HST at Long Eaton last time round, it was essentially local door boarding as the first three coaches were first class/buffet, and the rest were hanging off the back of the platform! I was surprised at how busy a lot of the smaller stations I'd visited today were, with around half a dozen other passengers also awaiting the HST. 43045 was leading, and we took it right back to Sheffield. 43076 was on the rear, which was a nice end to the move.

We'd done the same service back to Sheffield as we did last time (avoiding the mad dash as Chesterfield this time), and this works out nicely as there are three options for getting back to Meadowhall shortly after it arrives.. The 2130 to Leeds was a 144 over on platform 1, which was no use to either of us. The 2137 to Cleethorpes could have been 185101 which my mate needed, but this proceeded to shunt onto the centre road and shut down. It was instead 185135 which was dud for us both, but the final option saved the day as 150134 on the 2140 to Huddersfield was required for me.

150134 Sheffield 24/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We still hadn't eaten anything, and my mate had found us a last gasp takeaway not far from Meadowhall. I hadn't felt that cold at any point so I was surprised to find a fully iced up windscreen on my car! Finally got some chips just before 10pm, but not wanting to hang around much longer (particularly as it wasn't a particularly welcoming looking area...), I ate them in the car on the way home. No dodgy road closures or diversions this time, and I was home before 2300.

Day summary:

144015 MHS-SHF
222006 SHF-DBY
170117 & 170103 DBY-WIL
WIL-DBY
153308 & 153321 DBY-TUT
TUT-DBY
43357 & 43303 DBY-CHD
43321 & 43301 CHD-DBY
153379 DBY-SPO
SPO-DBY
222013 DBY-LGE
153381 & 153385 LGE-DBY
170398 DBY-BOT
43285 & 43304 BOT-CHD
158788 & 158854 CHD-ALF
158784 ALF-LGM
& 43076 LGM-SHF
150134 SHF-MHS

5 new stations: Burton-on-Trent, Langley Mill, Spondon, Tutbury & Hatton, Willington
15 new power cars/units: 3x HST, 1x 150, 4x 153, 1x 158, 5x 170, 1x 222
11 dud power cars/units: 5x HST, 1x 144, 1x 153, 3x 158, 1x 222

Day mileage: 239 miles

I also did a WYDR yesterday, and I've got my Cardiff trip on Tuesday which I'm looking forward to. Not so much the three hours on a 175 from Manchester to Cardiff, so I think I'll use that time to write up the WYDR report!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Only a matter of a couple of hours between my visit to Tutbury & Hatton and yours! Interesting 153379 escaped to the east of Derby, it had been on the 1607 Crewe-Derby.

Nice work on clearing the XC HSTs!

ash39

Established Member
What a coincidence that we did it on the same day. As I only had an afternoon I picked out the shacks with the easiest connections, the problem I've left myself with is the ones that are left are the awkward ones! Matlock line in particular looks like a pain to do...

It would have been major back luck if I hadn't got my last power car - I'd seen a pair going north just after I got to Sheffield and it wasn't on it, so if it didn't feature on one of the three that we did I wouldn't have been happy!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Matlock line isn't that awkward to do, the only couple evil ones (in terms of connections) are:

Duffield is best from the Derby direction and is a handy island platform
Belper is better from the Matlock direction, be in the middle of the train IIRC. Although if you do miss the connection there are retail options at Belper.

The others are all on the single track section so assuming you don't need Matlock itself:
Derby - Matlock Bath - Belper - Cromford - Ambergate - Whatstandwell - Derby

Anyhow, sounded like a good day trip in Derbyshire, well done on getting a couple of those awkward ones into your book (Willington & Spondon). The advice for Peartree is to alight from the train, access is controlled via a locked gate, and it is in case you have any issues with the control room releasing the gate

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like an enjoyable day in Derbyshire.
The Matlock shacks aren't too bad, compared with some of the Skeggy & Lincoln line shacks.

Established Member
just caught up with this lot, it's been a cracking read Mr Ash and cracking photos to boot too

Oh yes I keep forgetting the 68s are coming to TPX!
Obviously Ash and I certainly haven't Tech, Some loco hauled turns returning over the Pennines, will certainly evoke some memories. The words and numbers readily spring to mind, ie, 4 in 8 Freedom of the North East, will be fun indeed.

Kite159

Veteran Member
just caught up with this lot, it's been a cracking read Mr Ash and cracking photos to boot too

Obviously Ash and I certainly haven't Tech, Some loco hauled turns returning over the Pennines, will certainly evoke some memories. The words and numbers readily spring to mind, ie, 4 in 8 Freedom of the North East, will be fun indeed.

Or a South Day Pennies Day Ranger ;)

Andy Pacer

Established Member

I have a 4 in 8 Freedom of the North East planned for February, will this be too soon for the 68’s?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
That Derbyshire Wayfarer report was a great read, one of the really good value tickets price wise, it’s just handy to have a plan to use it to its full advantage. I did one a few Saturdays ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite one of the XC HSTs I went for turning out to be a Voyager that day....

ash39

Established Member
Thanks all - particularly Kite for the advice on the Matlock line. I hope to put that to use next summer sometime!

I've got a bit of a report backlog building now - just had an excellent two days in South Wales. I'll get them up as soon as I can. The report is typed up but I need to sort the photos, which takes me a while as I'm obsessive about adding info and tags to the file properties. Hopefully the future me will appreciate it!

ash39

Established Member
I'm now out of sync with my reports as I haven't got round to sorting the photos from my WYDR yet... somehow I was more enthusiastic about the South Wales ones! I'll get that sorted sometime next week. No rush as I'm not due another trip for a while now...

Explore Cardiff & Valleys day ranger – Tuesday 28th November 2017

Day started with an 0445 alarm. Feeling a bit groggy, I dragged myself up and had a bowl of cereal before driving to the station. I arrived about 15 minutes early, noticing that 66023 was still in the parcels sidings, and now had wheel skates fitted to two axles. Clearly in a bad way. My train for the first leg of the journey was 185102, which was only on a lowly 7 miles so it was a good start. First thing I did after finding my seat was set my alarm for 0700, and pretty much slept all the way to Stalybridge. This was easier than normal as the engine was out on my coach, so I had loco-hauled style comfort!

I had 15 minutes or so at Manchester Piccadilly to pick up some refreshments. There was no way a bowl of cereal was going to keep me going until lunchtime. The Costa kiosk was located right next to platform 11 where my train was leaving from, which would have been handy but the queue was huge. Instead I picked up an almond croissant and a smoothie from Sainsburys.

175006 formed my train to Cardiff Central. I wasn’t excited about spending 3 hours on this train. I was less enthusiastic still when I saw seat reservation labels out. My ticket was ‘counted place’, but unfortunately the only place free was the tip up seat in the vestibule. I queried it with the guard, who said not to worry as it usually empties out at Wilmslow. Today it didn’t, and now there were people standing as well. At Crewe, even more people were waiting to join but fortunately quite a lot got off, and I went and got a window seat finally. I demolished the croissant before we even left the station.

Even with a proper seat, the rest of the journey was still a real slog. The seats are awful on these units, and the engine sounded really boomy. The only entertainment was the huge wheelslip accelerating away from each stop. Finally I arrived in Cardiff just after 1030. I purchased my ranger from the ticket office - great value at £12 for the area covered.

My main aim for the trip was to pick up as many of the 15 ATW Class 142’s as possible. I also wanted to make inroads into the 143’s, and any 150’s would be a bonus. So typically, first up it was 150267 round the corner to Cardiff Queen Street. There were a few of these leaps in my plan for the day, as it was the only way to cover as many diagrams as I could. As 54 chain leaps go, it’s one of the more interesting ones. I like how you climb alongside the main line before swinging over to the left.

150240 was up next. I didn’t know until I later checked, but this was one of only two ATW 150’s I’d previously had. I took this to Llanishen, which is a nice little station. I was grateful they’d gritted the slope down to the platform though, it was a steep one!

150240 Llanishen 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

At last, 142074 showed up to take me back through Cardiff and on to Grangetown. Despite planning these moves a month or so previously, I’d managed to accidentally plan it perfectly as a RHTT was following behind us. 66051 lead 66047, predictably filthy, through the station.

66051 Grangetown 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Shortly after 150251 took me further along the line to Eastbrook.

150251 Eastbrook 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

143609 and 142006 took me back the other way, just under a mile to Cogan before 150259 took me to Barry.

150259 Cogan 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I then walked to Barry Island, as I wanted to get some fish and chips for dinner and it looked like a nice walk. After my chips, which were pretty average, I went to Coastal Coffee for an iced latte to wash it down, mainly because I hoped they’d have plug sockets as my phone was clearly not going to last the day. I got a socket, but quickly realised I’d made an error. I thought my train out of Barry Island was at 1336, but it was actually 1326. It was almost quarter past, and to make matters worse the staff were rushed off their feet and my coffee was still being made. I asked them to put it in a takeout cup instead, and made my way up to the station. The coffee would be good for my energy levels but my phone was only about 10% better off. A mobile power bank for future trips like this is a must!

143604 was leading 142077 on the 1326 (not 1336...) from Barry Island back up to Cardiff. This was the start of a more successful streak of finding pacers. 142083 and 143602 were next up for a Queen Street leap.

142083 & 143602 Cardiff Central 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

142082 brought me back. Continuing the countdown (I seemed to be getting the pacers in reverse numerical order...), 142081 on a city line service to Coryton was next. Upon seeing my ranger, the guard asked me if I’d be joining them up to Radyr as well, but I told her I’d be getting off at ‘the next one’. The next one was Rhiwbina, and I didn’t fancy embarrassing myself by pronouncing it wrong to a local! I would see 142081 and the guard again shortly, as a brisk ten minute walk down the road took me to Whitchurch, where I picked the service up on its way back.

142081 Whitchurch 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

This time I took it to Heath Low Level.

142081 Heath Low Level 28/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I’d allowed around ten minutes to get to Heath High Level, but really it can be done comfortably in less than five. From High Level, double winners 143608 and 142085 took me to Cardiff Queen Street. Working out the diagrams and planning the day to avoid repeats was working out nicely. However, I made a mistake here and casually watched my intended next train leave from another platform. It was only a 150, but it meant there was no simple way to pick up my plan again. As the phone was dying and I wanted to dump one of my bags, I instead decided to have a break and check into the hotel instead. Dud 150240 from earlier took me back to Central.

I checked into my room at Sleeperz hotel just next to the station. I had a view of the railway crossing the bridge to the east of the station, but only just. It was a small room but the fittings were modern. After boosting my phone up to over 60% and freshening up, I returned to the station to resume my plan, boarding duds 142083 and 143602 to Caerphilly. This was the only booked repeat set in my plan, and I didn’t mind as I only had a low mileage Central to Queen Street leap on them earlier. Winner 150254 took me once again to Cardiff Queen Street. It was the evening peak now, and the station was looking busy. I really wanted to be on the 1705 to Rhymnney, as it was a peak buster which comes out of Canton depot for one return run. I was hoping it’d be a required 142, but looking at the masses on the platform, getting on board would be a challenge itself. Dud 142074 appeared, with another on the back. I managed to squeeze in the rear set, not knowing what it was. A couple of miles on this service was enough for me, so I bailed at Heath High Level to discover 142010 on the rear. Happy days.

I did the reverse of earlier and walked over to Heath Low Level. A short wait later 143623 appeared. I chose to travel through to the other side of Cardiff to get Ninian Park ticked off, and meet the last diagram on my plan which was covered by 150255.

I figured now would be a good time to cover the bay shuttle, which I’d set eyes on a couple of times during the day. 153312 took me down the mile long branch to Cardiff Bay. A notable station as this was my 300th visited station in the UK. I then returned straight back, and was ready to go have a couple of beers. My lucky streak continued as 143610 and 142075 took me back round the corner to Central.

A couple of delightful halves of beer in Brewdog, and phone topped up again, I was ready to go again. I picked up a meal deal from Tesco Express and returned to the station to see 142069 in platform 0. This would be my tenth of the day, no way I would be turning it down. Once I’d figured out how to get to platform 0, I made my way up the stairs and boarded 142069. Had it not been for the sign, I would have thought I was going into the staff room at M&S food hall! I was going to take this service to Risca & Pontymister but the connection was a +3 and I couldn’t see for certain how to switch platforms on Google street view, so I played safe and bailed at Rogerstone. It was fairly nippy here, another passenger who left the train struggled to de-ice the windscreen of their Ford Ka in the car park. I expect they needed a new set of wiper blades after listening to them scrape the frosted screen for a good 10 minutes or so.

150283 returned me to Cardiff. One of the slowest trains I’ve ever been on. I worked out our average speed to be under 25mph, which for a non-stop service is pretty poor. We were overtaken by a freight at one point. Mercifully, we eventually arrived. I figured there was no point doing any more new stations tonight, as it was difficult to get photos without messing about setting up the tripod. I fancied a couple more leaps to fill the book though, so I did another return to Queen Street – dud 143610 outbound and winner 143601 back. I was about to call it a night but decided to do one more which was a masterstroke as 142076, 143607 and 150251 (locked out of use) were on the 2132 to Rhymnney. I assumed this must be a positioning move for units for the next day, as it certainly wasn't busy enough to justify 6 cars!

The icing on the cake was double winners 143622 and 143625 back to Central and back to the hotel for the night, after a great day. 11 of 15 142’s in the book was a good start, taking my overall tally to 73 of 94.

My room had a bunk bed, which I’d known when I booked. I fancied sleeping on the top bunk for the novelty, but after trying both it was apparent the bottom was much comfier. I watched a bit of TV on the top bunk, as you couldn't s ee it from the bottom! I made a decaf coffee which I’d not normally have but I always seem to in hotel rooms when it’s laid out in front of you. There was a shelf for the top bunk but it was arms length away, if I’d dropped the coffee from that height onto the wooden floor the mess would have been quite horrific. Thankfully I didn’t, and I climbed down to sleep around 2330. The pillows were a bit firm for my taste, but not terrible. I would use the hotel again, the location couldn’t be better for the station.

Day summary:

185102 YRK-MAN
175006 MAN-CDF
CDF-CDQ
150240 CDQ-LLS
LLS-GTN
GTN-EBK
& 142006 EBK-CGN
CGN-BRY
& 142077 BYI-CDF
142083 & 143602 CDF-CDQ
142082 CDQ-CDF
142081 CDF-RHI
142081 WHT-HLL
& 142085 HHL-CDQ
150240 CDQ-CDF
142083 & 143602 CDF-CPH
CPH-CDQ
142074 & 142010 CDQ-HHL
143623 HLL-NNP
NNP-CDQ
153312 CDQ-CDB
153312 CDB-CDQ
143610 & 142075 CDQ-CDF
142069 CDF-ROR
ROR-CDF
143610 CDF-CDQ
143601 CDQ-CDF
142076, 143607 & 150251 CDF-CDQ
143622 & 143625 CDQ-CDF

16 new stations: Barry, Barry Island, Caerphilly, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff Central, Cardiff Queen Street, Cogan, Eastbrook, Grangetown, Heath High Level, Heath Low Level, Llanishen, Ninian Park, Rhiwbina, Rogerstone, Whitchurch

29 new units: 11x 142, 9x 143, 6x 150, 1x 153, 1x 175

10 dud units: 3x 142, 2x 143, 3x 150, 1x 153 1x 185

Day mileage: 334 miles

Explore Cardiff & Valleys day ranger – Wednesday 29th November 2017

I set the alarm for 0730, but didn’t roll out of bed around 0800. I was actually quite pleased the rover wasn’t valid until 0930, as it meant I could have a leisurely start to the day and pick up some breakfast. A few minutes' walk from the hotel there was a Starbucks, where I got a bacon roll and iced caramel macchiato. I also learned from the previous day, and made sure I left here with 100% charge on my phone!

After an excellent breakfast, I made my way back to the station. In addition to my ranger, I also purchased a return to Newport for £5.70. As well as hunting for more pacers and local stations, I hoped to sample my first Class 800. I should have the best part of four decades to get these in the book, but I was keen to see what they were like. The ideal would be to get a HST one way and an 800 the other.

I spent a bit of time getting some photos at Cardiff. It was another glorious day, and I had some intel on where my remaining Class 142’s might be. Two of the four were in service, which would be acceptable for me. 13 or 14 of the 15 units was my realistic aim for the trip.

142076 Cardiff Central 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

43194 Cardiff Central 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr
Having purchased the tickets I had, I had an urge to move somewhere but nothing productive was showing up. I nearly boarded a HST to Newport, but there was no Class 800 service back from Newport for a couple of hours so I let it go.

In the end, my patience paid off as 142002 produced as hoped. I took this to Radyr, it felt strange passing stations at speed on a pacer. Radyr was a nice little station, the layout reminded me of Swinton in South Yorkshire, but much leafier and nicer with its riverside location. Just over the river was Coryton, where the city line all-stop services run to. I thought it was a shame there's no bridge linking Radyr & Coryton as it would make a nice circular line, but then I remembered it's single track from Coryton to Heath Low Level so there'd be no real use as you couldn't run trains in both directions.

142002 Radyr 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

142075 & 142085 took me to Cathays. I didn’t expect ticket barriers here, and my ticket got rejected going back in the other side. The attendant let me through, but due to the barriers this was not a good station to do a double back from. I had time though, and a few minutes later 150279 approached to take me to Llandaf.

150279 Cathays 29/11/2017 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Llandaf was another nice station, with a modern ticket office which looked like a fairly recent addition. I noticed a lot of stations around Cardiff have lifts, which is a much nicer way of making stations accessible than the huge eyesore ramps that grace some of the stations up north (Barnetby & Normanton spring to mind).

I’d come to Llandaf in the hope of bagging another 142. As well as the two I knew were out, I’d seen another leaving Cardiff just as I arrived around 0930. My diagram had it coming back from Merthyr Tydfil on the next service, and sure enough it did. 150280 and 142072 were taken through to Cardiff Central.

I now had my sights on the penultimate one, 142073. I knew 142080 wasn’t out. I was sorely tempted to use my Newport ticket as 43002 had just pulled in to form the 1155 to Paddington, but again I couldn't get back on a Class 800 from Newport and still make the remaining pacers I wanted to get.

43002 Cardiff Central 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

As great as it looked in the sun, I let 43002 go. I stuck to my plan, but I had time before I could make a move to meet 142073, so I went for some lunch. I’d planned to have a light lunch and a bigger meal in the evening but as I had 40 minutes to kill, I went to Five Guys. The burger was one of the best I've had in the UK, and the fries decent too but I forgot to ask for spicy fries!

I waddled back to the station and after a brief delay due to a late arriving inbound service, I headed to Pye Corner on dud 150267. I was supposed to meet 142073 coming back from Ebbw Vale, but something must have changed since my info was provided as it was 142010. At least this run would clear it for ten miles.

No sooner had I arrived back in Cardiff, I spotted 142073 at the other side of the station! It was too late to catch it, but I worked out it was going to Treherbert and back and I should still be able to get it before my train home. I also had a plan that would get me a HST and 800 combination to Newport, and this all fitted together perfectly. First I had a bit of a gap, so I took 142069 round the corner to Queen Street. I decided to sample the Cardiff Bay line again, mainly to tick off another 153 and get a photo at the station, but I also wanted to see the line in daylight. 153320 was the unit for today’s round trip.

153320 Cardiff Bay 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

This got me back to Queen Street at a good time as there were a handful of services heading to Central in quick succession. I didn’t have long to wait, the first one was winner 143606.

It was now time to finally use my Newport ticket. 43188 ‘The Welshman’, quite fittingly for this trip, lead 43145 to Newport.

43188 Cardiff Central 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Shortly after I arrived in Newport, 66100 came flying through on a steel train. I was updating my mate on my progress so I missed getting a photo, took my eye off the ball there! I was now incredibly thirsty after the salt-fest of a lunch I’d just consumed, and I had a +51 here which was slipping due to a delay on my return train, so I walked into the city centre and found another Starbucks. I got the same again as it went down so well earlier in the day. I took the opportunity to get my phone topped up as well, and I also took a bit of charge from the HST on the way over.

I made my way back to the station in plenty of time. The modern footbridge structure at Newport station seems a bit out of place with the rest of the place. It looks more like something you would find on the extended section of the Jubilee Line on the tube. The delay was up to around 15 minutes, and there was now a real chance I could miss 142073 at Cardiff. RTT was estimating I would be back in Cardiff at 1601, and the Treherbert service I needed to be on left at 1606. Any further delay would probably be too much. The PIS stated first class was at the front and rear, so I positioned myself half way down the platform to hopefully ID both sets on arrival, as it was going to be tight in Cardiff. In they eventually came, double winners 800008 and 800009.

800008 & 800009 Newport 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The train was lightly loaded – the only person to exit the train at my door was wearing a Hitachi fleece! First impressions were of how new everything looked and smelt. How long that will last is anyone’s guess, but my table was scratched already! I got the rearmost seat in the set next to the bulkhead. We were overtaken by Colas 70802 on a coal train as we left, but caught it up again at the other side of the tunnel.

The seat was what I expected, firm but not hideously uncomfortable. Unfortunately the armrests are way too low though. That’s just bad design, if they were higher a short person could still use them, but where they are is useless for me and I’m only just ovet 6ft! I will say it was very quiet and smooth though. It’s a great regional express train, I’d happily do a 60-90 minute journey on one. No way would I relish the thought of taking one from London to Edinburgh and beyond though! Anyone currently making that journey on a HST or mk4 will almost definitely find these trains less comfortable.

Happily enough though, they did the job and got me to Cardiff in time for my pacer service. The only problem was platform 6, where it was supposedly leaving from, was unoccupied. My Welsh let me down here, as the scrolling departure board which alternated between English & Welsh said something other than a time next to it, and I assumed it meant cancelled. I was about to walk away when it flicked to English and what it actually said was ‘arrived’, and it was on platform 7, not 6. I made a quick dash for it, and as I approached the number came into focus and it was definitely 142073! I only had time to take it to Queen Street, but that would do for me. 14 out of 15 was a great outcome from the two days.

I was in the same position as a couple of hours previously, with multiple services available. This time I let a dud go, before 150208 arrived on the next one. A great finish to the trip. I popped back to the hotel to pick up my other bag they kindly stored for me for the day, and then nipped back into Brewdog for another half before making my way back for my booked train.

My tickets were never gripped on the Newport services, and the barriers were open at Newport, so i actually possessed three valid tickets that could get me through the ticket barriers, which was an unusual first for me. As I’d had such a good trip I had become slightly blasé about the fact I had over 100 miles of loco haulage to look forward to. Required 67015 had been on the WAG set until recently, but it went to Crewe for an exam and was replaced with dud 67014. I didn’t mind too much, as I’ve got a soft spot for the two shabby ex-Wrexham & Shropshire/Chiltern liveried locos. It still wears the holes where its Thomas Telford nameplates once sat!

Despite the set being short formed by 1 mk3, there was no problem getting a seat. Unfortunately the socket at the seat I chose was out of action but I had a decent amount of battery left to get me home. It was a much more enjoyable run than the journey down on the droning 175. The 67 making a great sound up front. I left the service at final winner station of the trip, Shrewsbury.

67014 Shrewsbury 29/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had around 40 minutes here so I went off to find a light meal. I found a Tesco Express which would do fine. One thing I’ll say about Shrewsbury is they know how to do Christmas lights! They even had a giant illuminated reindeer!

Back at the station, winner 175105 was next up back to Manchester via Stockport. The train was about half full, I got an airline seat to myself in what must have been the unofficial quiet coach. Nobody was speaking, it was so quiet I felt awkward fishing my meal out of my carrier bag. I got a pesto pasta salad and a fruit smoothie, trying to address the balance after a couple of days of eating like a horse. I carried on typing up my trip report, and time passed by pretty quickly. It felt like much less of a drag breaking the journey at Shrewsbury even though it took longer.

Back in familiar territory at Manchester Piccadilly, I had half an hour or so for my train back to York. I found out from RTT that my train was due into platform 3 so I waited there. Somewhat annoyingly, required 185118 was about to leave said platform with a Cleethorpes service. At least it was pretty quiet I thought, so won’t be a problem getting on. Even with a reserved seat you fear boarding a 185 as it’s always a scrum to get on. Predictably, despite it being 2142, a mass of people descended onto the platform at the last minute. Dud 185113 was to be the last journey of the trip. Fortunately, it had arrived from the airport practically empty so everyone managed to get a seat.

The train lost 20 minutes between Marsden & Huddersfield due to ‘having to perform an inspection of the line’. The Leeds stopper was then in front of us, but we flew past it on the centre road at Dewsbury. Eventual arrival was at 2320, 24 minutes late.

Day summary:

142002 CDF-RDR
142075 & 142082 RDR-CYS
CYS-LLN
& 142072 LLN-CDF
150267 CDF-PYE
142010 PYE-CDF
142069 CDF-CDQ
153320 CDQ-CDB
153320 CDB-CDQ
143606 CDQ-CDF
43188 & 43145 CDF-NWP
& 800009 NWP-CDF
142073 CDF-CDQ
150208 CDQ-CDF
67014 CDF-SHR
SHR-MAN
185113 MAN-YRK

6 new stations: Cathays, Llandaf, Newport, Pye Corner, Radyr, Shrewsbury
13 new power cars/units: 2x HST, 3x 142, 1x 143, 3x 150, 1x 153, 1x 175, 2x 800
8 dud locos/units: 1x 67, 4x 142, 1x 150, 1x 153, 1x 185

Day mileage: 303 miles

Trip summary:

22 new stations
42 new locos/power cars/units
Trip mileage: 637 miles

It was a great couple of days, and I got very lucky with the weather. It snowed back up north the next day!

Already planning to go back to the area in May with my mate this time (who was rather jealous of my Welsh success) - one thing that I noticed when I looked at the rover map was despite getting a lot of stations and units in, I didn't venture very far out of the city. Next time I'm looking forward to going further into the valleys. At least the days will be longer in May too...

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good couple days in Cardiff area, Cardiff Central - Queen Street leaps used to be so much easier before platform 8 opened at Central and Queen Street got remodelled [previous it was a single island platform with the Bay service going from what is now platform 2], so less of a walk between platforms.

Mr Techniquest won't be happy you didn't like the 175 move, but that 67 made up for it

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Two very good reads, as always, with some gorgeous scenes. You managed to make urban Cardiff look appealing :lol:

As for the 175s, well beer is less subjective than trains and comfort, but the principle is the same. What I like is not what someone else is going to like, and vice versa. I did take great pleasure in pointing out to one of the owners of Hereford Beer House that people in this hobby are far worse for pointless arguing than in the beer world! Sadly the two worlds are colliding with each other and the petty arguments get worse! My point is that ash39 is certainly welcome to his opinion, and as much as I like 175s because I find them comfortable with a lot of legroom, I can understand why his experience was far from pleasurable! The difference between different members of the class is quite significant, and if it wasn't for the free WiFi installed on them I would have lost the plot on my recent journeys on them. Then again, my enjoyment of the UK railway is hardly what it was in 2016, I'd prefer to go exploring the world! Which reminds me, I need to post once more on my trip report thread before I post my End of Year Review...

The beer enthusiast in me wants to know what you had at BrewDog, and next time I recommend a visit to Tiny Rebel a little further up the same street. Some amazing beers in there and they're produced in Newport so nice and local too. I had quite a session in there last month...

I do sympathise with the long journey you had, Crewe to Hereford recently was bad enough so I dread to think what Manchester to Cardiff felt like! Breaking at Shrewsbury on the way back was definitely a good idea, and you may want to make a wee edit of your trip report as I doubt you had 170105 ;)

ash39

Established Member
Two very good reads, as always, with some gorgeous scenes. You managed to make urban Cardiff look appealing :lol:

As for the 175s, well beer is less subjective than trains and comfort, but the principle is the same. What I like is not what someone else is going to like, and vice versa. I did take great pleasure in pointing out to one of the owners of Hereford Beer House that people in this hobby are far worse for pointless arguing than in the beer world! Sadly the two worlds are colliding with each other and the petty arguments get worse! My point is that ash39 is certainly welcome to his opinion, and as much as I like 175s because I find them comfortable with a lot of legroom, I can understand why his experience was far from pleasurable! The difference between different members of the class is quite significant, and if it wasn't for the free WiFi installed on them I would have lost the plot on my recent journeys on them. Then again, my enjoyment of the UK railway is hardly what it was in 2016, I'd prefer to go exploring the world! Which reminds me, I need to post once more on my trip report thread before I post my End of Year Review...

The beer enthusiast in me wants to know what you had at BrewDog, and next time I recommend a visit to Tiny Rebel a little further up the same street. Some amazing beers in there and they're produced in Newport so nice and local too. I had quite a session in there last month...

I do sympathise with the long journey you had, Crewe to Hereford recently was bad enough so I dread to think what Manchester to Cardiff felt like! Breaking at Shrewsbury on the way back was definitely a good idea, and you may want to make a wee edit of your trip report as I doubt you had 170105 ;)

The 175 on the way back was a lot more bearable. I think 3 hours is too long on almost anything except a mk3!

I must have been flagging towards the end of the trip, as I've recorded it as 170105 on both my report and my notepad :lol: Thanks for spotting that!

On the first night I tried Jet Black Heart, which I've had from a bottle before but this was from a nitro cask. It was so smooth, definitely try a nitro cask ale if you get the chance. I also had a Deaf Mermaid which was a tropical IPA, very much my kind of beer.

On the second night I was driving 6 hours or so later, so I just had a half of Dead Pony Club, as it's one of my favourites and it's fairly low abv.

Status
Not open for further replies.