• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ash39's Trip Reports & Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
I'm looking forward to getting back there myself. Plenty more to discover in the area for sure.

Also forgot to thank tech for his tip regarding Tiny Rebel, I'll be sure to give it a look!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When I've spent nearly 2.5 hours on a 175 in the past, Manchester Piccadilly to Hereford on the 1530 from Piccadilly is almost that long, then I can sympathise. If I've had a few or at least got a few to enjoy on the way back it's not quite so bad!

I've had Jet Black Heart in a bottle, a nitro cask ale is an interesting concept and I must try it sometime. I did have a few in BrewDog Cardiff the other week, chances are I tried one without realising. Deaf Mermaid, yes that was quite a funky one! Live Dead Pony Club was another I had, and as I didn't like the bottled Dead Pony Club I wasn't expecting much. Quite decent that was, maybe I need to try Punk IPA on tap sometime and give it another try. If you like BrewDog stuff, I do recommend trying Electric India if you can find it, their Christmas beer which I fail to remember the name of is also good. 5AM Saint is my favourite though, loved that so much to use it as a trip title some months back.

Hopefully Tiny Rebel and their beers will appeal to you when you get the chance to try them. Imperial Puft is just insanely enjoyable, 9% mind so a half is enough!

ash39

Established Member
I previously had Jet Black Heart in a bottle and wasn't overly impressed, but on nitro it's a different brew altogether. So smooth you have to try it to believe it. It also seems to amplify all the coffee and chocolate flavours, in summary it's well worth a go!

I'm not sure you'll have had a nitro cask if you didn't have JBH - from what I've seen in Cardiff & other BrewDog bars, they seem to be trialling it on just that at the moment. I'd really like to try an IPA nitro though.

I've had Electric India, it's not bad. I like that the can looks like a can of Fanta, so you could easily drink it in a 'dry' area if you were inclined to do so :lol: I think the other one you're thinking of is Santa Paws, I had it last year but can't remember if I was too fussed for it.

I generally like all BrewDog's stuff, plus I like the fact their bars are generally civilised and never full of loud stag-do types. I'm into BAD brew co's beers at the moment as well, you might not be able to easily get hold of it in your neck of the woods as they're based in North Yorkshire, but Morissons up here stock it (not sure of the rest of the country). Their Boston Tea Party is my beer of 2017!

Best go change the thread title to 'ash39's trip reports, photos & beer reviews'... :E

noddy1878

Established Member
The beer talk has got me replying to this! Not made much mention in this neck of the woods for a while! Anyway Cambrian Tap in Cardiff is another pub worth a punt! As for BrewDog bars I generally like the beers on offer. I also agree they are civilised! But most ‘craft’ beer places are to be fair. Basically anywhere that doesn’t sell crappy lager! Imperial Puft is a truly awesome beer. Much better than ‘Stay Puft’ (which is nice to be fair!)! Get yourself on Untappd (if you’re not already!) and it’ll help you track down the good beers!

Nice photos by the way!

ash39

Established Member
The beer talk has got me replying to this! Not made much mention in this neck of the woods for a while! Anyway Cambrian Tap in Cardiff is another pub worth a punt! As for BrewDog bars I generally like the beers on offer. I also agree they are civilised! But most ‘craft’ beer places are to be fair. Basically anywhere that doesn’t sell crappy lager! Imperial Puft is a truly awesome beer. Much better than ‘Stay Puft’ (which is nice to be fair!)! Get yourself on Untappd (if you’re not already!) and it’ll help you track down the good beers!

Nice photos by the way!

Untappd is great! The trip advisor of beer! I'm possibly going to be in Devon next May as part of a multi day trip (including Cardiff again) - be interested to hear if you have any local recommendations!

Now finally up to date with reports...

West Yorkshire Day Rover – Saturday 25th November 2017

The family were out until early evening, so I had a full day to myself. Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I had a big trip to South Wales early the following week, so I stayed more local than I otherwise might have done.

I had a later start than originally planned, arriving at Garforth just after 10am. Rover promptly purchased from the ticket office, I boarded dud 144014 to Leeds.

I had no fixed plan for the day, but I wanted to make some inroads into my final 20 or so West Yorkshire stations. I decided to head towards Huddersfield, as I was yet to make a start on the Penistone line. I boarded very dud 185143, before quickly changing plans as I saw the Colas Class 67’s approaching Leeds as I left. After looking up their route on RTT, I figured if I left the 185 at Dewsbury, I could get back to Leeds and catch a train to Kirkstall Forge to see them pass through. That’s what I decided to do, so I swapped 185’s at Dewsbury and returned on 185148.

I was yet to see 333014, my last one, so I was hopeful to spot it so I could figure a plan to get it later in the day. Dud 333002 took me to Kirkstall Forge. 67023 and 67027 passed through on schedule.

67023 Kirkstall Forge 25/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had a +20 or so here, so I got a couple of shots of non-stopping 333’s also. Still no sign of 014, but in the end it wasn’t even a 333 on my return train to Leeds, but very dud 322484.

322484 Kirkstall Forge 25/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I saw my final 3-car Northern 158 in the station, and quickly knocked up a neat plan which would get me a few stations in. 158753 firstly took me to Morley, before 158793 took me back the other way to Cottingley.

158753 Morley 25/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

A winner from Sheffield to Meadowhall the previous evening, 150134, was up next. It was still early, but not too early judging by the state some of the rail ale trail participants had got themselves into. A fairly empty train suddenly got very full at Batley. A group sat around me but they were pleasant enough, though I politely declined their offer of a sip of toffee vodka! They left the train at Dewsbury but another group got on, and this group were seemingly further into their session as the singing had started. I did a tactical switch of coach which proved to be a good decision as the leading coach was now fairly quiet.

I wasn't in the mood for loud drunk people, so I came up with a plan to get off the trail, and bailed at fourth shack of the day, Deighton. It was another short wait here before 142051 rolled round the curve to take me to Wakefield Westgate.

142051 Deighton 25/11/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

My arrival here was not particularly well timed as there were no intercity services due for over half an hour. Instead I crammed onto a very busy 144006 to Leeds. At one point this was one of my last three to get, but on this occasion I couldn’t wait to get off it!

I’d been in touch with my mate who works for Northern, and he was guard on the 1459 Knaresborough service so I went along for the ride and had a (very brief!) catch up with him. His job for the day had it booked as a 155/153 combination, but it was actually formed of 144008 and 142084. We were 5 late leaving Leeds due to no driver, but that actually worked to my advantage as it reduced my wait at a chilly Horsforth to just 15 minutes.

It was a worthwhile move, as not only did I see my mate but I got a winner on the way back. 150211 doing the honours.

I was starting to think of getting back, but I’d seen a number of required 185’s earlier in the day and if I’d worked it out correctly, it was possible to meet one at Huddersfield and catch it back to Leeds for a nice connection onto a Garforth service. I had time first, and there was nothing worth doing in that would get me to Huddersfield in time so I went for a walk around Leeds. My home city, but now I no longer live there I’m always surprised how much has changed every time I’m in the city centre.

I ended up back at the station and got an eggnog latte from Starbucks, taking the opportunity to charge my phone as well. I should really have made my way to platform 16 earlier and tried my luck for a winner 185, but it didn’t matter as it turned out. Dud 185140 lead winner 185150 to Huddersfield. Platform was busy as usual, but due to the unexpected double set I easily got a seat.

I had a bit of time at Huddersfield, where 150134 was seen for the third time of the day. I must have got mixed up with my diagrams, as 185109 was on the Middlesbrough service, not 185134 as I’d hoped. It was also a couple of minutes late, which altered my connection from convenient to ‘iffy’.

I had to get my skates on at Leeds, but made it onto low mileage 150268 with a minute or two to spare. I picked up a Chinese for the wife and I from my old favourite takeaway and bombed it home up the A64 using my coat as a makeshift cool bag! It worked, but the coat needed to go in the wash...

Not a bumper day for winners by any stretch, but a couple more shacks ticked off. It was also particularly pleasing to get a winner 158 and 185 considering how close I am to clearing the Northern 158’s and 185’s as a whole. The last ones are always most difficult...

Day summary:

144014 GRF-LDS
185143 LDS-DEW
185148 DEW-LDS
333002 LDS-KLF
322484 KLF-LDS
158753 LDS-MLY
158793 MLY-COT
150134 COT-DHN
142051 DHN-WKF
144006 WKF-LDS
144008 & 142084 LDS-HRS
150211 HRS-LDS
185140 & 185150 LDS-HUD
185109 HUD-LDS
150268 LDS-GRF

4 new stations: Cottingley, Deighton, Kirkstall Forge, Morley
3 new units: 1x 150, 1x 158, 1x 185
14 dud units: 2x 142, 3x 144, 2x 150, 1x 158, 4x 185, 1x 322, 1x 333

Day mileage: 129 miles

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Untappd is great! The trip advisor of beer! I'm possibly going to be in Devon next May as part of a multi day trip (including Cardiff again) - be interested to hear if you have any local recommendations!

Plymouth - Vessel, 20 mins walk from station.
Totnes - New Lion Brewery, 5 minutes.
Newton Abbot - Tuckers Maltings, 5 minutes.
Exeter - The Beer Cellar, 10 minutes from Central station.

Vessel in my opinion is by far the best of the lot!

Enjoyable day out on a good value ticket by the way!

ash39

Established Member
Derbyshire Wayfarer – Thursday 14th December 2017

Bucking the trend of the Friday evening post work move, an opportunity arose to head out on a Thursday instead. I drove to Meadowhall as usual, and bought my return ticket to Sheffield. 60p more than usual, as I'd not managed to finish work early on this occasion, and it was just inside the evening peak.

My mate was due at Meadowhall half an hour or so after me, so I let duds 185148 and 142018 go, before finally giving up and accepting dud 158908 to Sheffield. I bought a group wayfarer ticket seeing as we’d be travelling together on this occasion, saving a couple of pounds in the process. I got my now obligatory eggnog latte from Starbucks and waited in the waiting room, as it was freezing. My mate arrived and we boarded 222018, though it wasn't due to leave for almost 20 minutes. At least it was warm, and we secured a table seat. This was the 1729 departure so we expected it to be fairly busy. The guard then came on the PA to apologise that the train was short formed 5 coaches vice 7. However, we left Sheffield with nobody standing, at least in our coach.

We hadn't got a firm plan, having decided fairly last minute to come out, so we were winging it to some extent, but we both agreed that trying our luck at getting some 153's and HST's in would be the order of the evening. Upon arrival at Derby though, the next five trains on the departure board were cancelled or delayed to some extent, which didn't bode well!

Derby Delays 14/12/2017 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We were foiled at our first attempt at getting a 153, as 156497 formed our service to Long Eaton. We both queried the number, as we were under the impression that EMT's were all in the lower region. It turned out it was an ex-Northern unit, which transferred around 7 years ago, before my rail interest had returned. We had over 10 minutes here, so rather than visit our usual corner shop we had just enough time to make it to Sawley Catch for some chips.

We made our way back to the station, where a few people and a dog were already waiting for our train. The dog looked very interested in our chips. It was another 156 for the trip back, and another winner, 156408. We ate our chips on board, and stayed on past Derby this time to winner station Duffield.

156408 Duffield 14/12/2017 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

It was a nice +4 here, which became a +8 as there was a delay to the return service. We already knew this was 156414 as we'd seen it earlier at Derby, and so it proved to be. We still hadn't seen a single Class 153, despite these services usually being pairs of them on our previous visits. Back at Derby, we waited for the arrival of the Crewe service, which was 153308. At last, a 153, even though it was a dud for me. My mate needed it so we planned to take it back out on its next service to Tutbury & Hatton, but we were foiled again as people were told not to board it by staff. In rolled yet another 156 to replace it, and the 153 went back to the depot empty. Instead, we let it go and tried to come up with a plan B, but we were struggling as there were still many cancellations occurring, particularly to Cross Country services which were suffering from a lack of available conductors.

The best we could come up with was another run to Duffield, and once again no 153 as it was 156410 this time. At least my 156 numbers had received a significant boost, roping in almost a third of the EMT fleet. This was looking like a foolish move as the return was looking very tight, we'd left Derby 3 minutes late, and the return was 1 early. We stood by the doors ready to make a dash for it, but the train was nowhere to be seen. It hadn't passed us, so we were initially a bit perplexed. A few minutes later, headlights appeared around the curve, but it soon became clear it had no intention of stopping. It was a delayed Voyager which came barrelling through, and after that we worked out that our train had been held to allow the Voyager through first. It eventually followed in 8 late, and as expected it was dud 156408 from earlier.

We were still struggling for another move at Derby, and we decided to do our usual combination of moves back to Sheffield. We then spotted a HST arriving which confused us at first, before realising it was a terminating service. Still gave me opportunity for a decent shot of 43066.

43066 Derby 14/12/2017 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I was messing about with the tripod and had failed to notice our train north was approaching platform 1, so we had to take the underpass and make a bit of a dash for it. Unfortunately, our Cross Country HST was formed of 4 coaches today, and we all know what that means, but at least it was a requirement 220024. My mate wasn't impressed, but as I'd cleared the XC power cars on the previous trip, it wasn't as much of a downer for me.

The passenger info screens were still describing the service as a HST, even though it most definitely wasn't. We gladly left it behind at Chesterfield, where for some unknown reason it sat at a green signal with all the doors closed for over a minute past departure time before finally leaving.

220024 Chesterfield 14/12/2017 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We were now hedging our bets on the penultimate move of the day, an EMT HST which would dictate how much of a success the evening was. I got lucky, winners
43047 & 43044 were on our train, but my mate had already had both!

We also had no luck on the return to Meadowhall, the TPE service was dud for both of us, and the Leeds & Huddersfield services were formed of 144's. We walked to the end of platform 1 to see if the 2140 Huddersfield train was a mileage requirement, but it was 144015 which is actually my second highest. By the time we got there and weighed up our options, the 2130 had left and the 2134 was about to, so we stuck with 144015 back to Meadowhall.

158908 MHS-SHF
222018 SHF-DBY
156497 DBY-LGE
156408 LGE-DFI
156414 DFI-DBY
156410 DBY-DFI
156408 DFI-DBY
220024 DBY-CHD
43047 & 43044 CHD-SHF
144015 SHF-MHS

1 new station: Duffield
8 new units/power cars: 2x HST, 4x 156, 1x 220, 1x 222
3 dud units: 1x 144, 1x 156, 1x 158

Day mileage: 116 miles

ash39

Established Member
Greater Manchester Wayfarer – Friday 22nd December 2017

Continuing a tradition I seem to have started, I used my mad Friday early finish to head out on the rails for probably the last time of the year. A few options were considered before settling on Manchester, but the prospect of getting 67015 in the book swung it in the end. I finished early, but not as early as expected as I ended up staying to do a quiz. I also forgot I needed fuel, and when I saw the nearest petrol station was a Morissons, I had to get a salad bar tray for lunch! In the end I was around an hour behind schedule, but made up good time on the run over despite some major fog. I wasn't sure if there'd be any parking spaces at Hadfield station, but I got a space right outside. I made the 1259 train by 3 or 4 minutes, even had time for a quick photo.

323231 Hadfield 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Hadfield was a winner station, but 323231 was dud from my last GM trip. I broke up my journey towards Manchester by bailing at winner shack Newton for Hyde. I liked the underpass here which reminded me of a tube station, although it was actually painted brick rather than actual tiles. The rest of the station wasn’t so nice, the sound of the recycling plant next to the Manchester bound platform gave it an edgy feel.

Newton for Hyde
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Another dud 323237 took me back the other way to Hattersley.

323237 Hattersley 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I’d set eyes on the other unit heading out to Hadfield, so I knew it was winner 323224 up next. I’d had enough of the line now, and I only need Godley to clear from Guide Bridge up to Hadfield/Glossop, so I took this one right to journeys' end at Manchester Piccadilly.

I decided to wing it from here, rather than try to follow my plan which was to get some shacks on the lines towards Marple. Nothing in the bay platforms was worth going for so I headed for platforms 13 & 14, which were already very busy. Instantly I was in luck, winner 142045 turned up heading for Southport. Unfortunately it was busy, and a couple of minutes ahead of schedule, so by the time we left at 1422 it was fully rammed. More managed to just squeeze on at Oxford Road, where I would normally have bailed such a wedged service, but I’d spotted a couple of nice connections at Deansgate.

I was stood near the door, so I got off without too much trouble. A GBRf container train had passed us on the approach which meant my +1 would be fine. I had options though, the first being dud 150273. I let this go as there was a Liverpool-Oxford Road service a couple of minutes behind. Strangely the boards said the next train was in 20 minutes, leading me to question whether the service I'd seen on realtimetrains was meant to be set down only. Another possibility was a glitch with the screen, as around half a dozen other passengers also boarded dud 156440 to Manchester Oxford Road.

I crossed over to platform 1 and jumped on a pair of EMT 158’s, not knowing whether they were required or not. Got off at Piccadilly to find my luck was in, I’d been travelling in winner 158857, with dud 158788 on the rear.

A pair of 156’s were heading the other way, but both dud so I headed back to the bay platforms. Thought I’d try my luck out towards Marple after all, but the next service was dud 142055. Sat on 9 miles, it was tempting to take it to Gorton to clear it for 10, but on the adjacent platform a required 323 was about to leave on a Crewe service. As I could also get a winner shack on this move, and the with the 323’s facing an uncertain future, I took the second option and boarded 323228 to Cheadle Hulme.

There was a +1 here onto an ex-Crewe service, which I made comfortably, but it was a dud 323 so I waited for the ex-Stoke service 15 minutes later. This worked out well as it allowed me to get a photo of a passing Pendolino for my ‘stations’ album, and my train turned out to be winner 323225.

I noticed a couple of services following in close succession at Stockport, so I bailed here and jumped straight onto a pair I’d spotted earlier in the day. Purple dud 150141 leading white winner 150142 back to Manchester.

150142 Manchester Piccadilly 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Another shuffle over to the bay platforms, and a winner 142 got my attention. Unfortunately it was going nowhere, and there was a delayed inbound service due into the same platform which was supposed to form a Rose Hill train. The platform was wedged, and then they announced the next outbound service was running non stop back to Rose Hill to make up time. Chaos ensued, but luckily unlike those people I didn’t have to go that way so I crossed the station for what felt like the tenth time of the day. Winner 150207 showed up on platform 14 so I took it for an Oxford Road leap. I was more interested in the unknown pacer attached to the back, but in the end it was dud 142013.

I thought I’d have plenty of options for getting back, but when I checked on my phone there was only one train I could officially catch that would get me back to Piccadilly for the loco-hauled ATW service. Taking no chances, I made a zero connection onto 350401. My only TPE 350 under 10 miles, and so it remains but at least it now has two Oxford Road leaps to its name!

350401 Manchester Piccadilly 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had around 13 minutes for the 67, so I got a cortado from Costa and got in position to get a prime seat. Not that the platform was particularly busy, due to it being mad Friday everyone had seemingly either headed home from work earlier in the day or stayed in town for drinks. Still, I took satisfaction in judging the length of 67015 to perfection, as the leading door of the first coach stopped right in front of me allowing me to board first. 67015 became my 12th 67 in the book, and I stayed on board to the Wayfarer boundary at Warrington Bank Quay.

67015 Warrington Bank Quay 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

This proved to be a good decision, shortly after leaving 67015, 60002 paused for a crew change. Also got a couple of photos of Pendolinos, the light fog adding to the scene nicely.

60002 Warrington Bank Quay 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

390125 Warrington Bank Quay 22/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Winner 175104 took me back after an enjoyable 20 minutes or so. This time, my trek across Piccadilly station was worthwhile as winner 142056 was forming the next Rose Hill service. 142057, also required, was just arriving into platform 1 with a service from Adwick, which would then form a service back to Sheffield. I could do a +5 at Romiley onto this service which seemed too good to be true. There was then a zero connection possible at Marple, but the return was 6 late at Grindleford so it looked like it could work.

The highlight of the run to Romiley on 142056 was a woman trying to leave the train at Hyde North. After pressing various holes in the cab bulkhead, she shouted ‘how do I get off?!’ before half the coach replied with a pantomime-esque ‘it’s behind you!’. She then turned the wrong way and was in danger of being overcarried before someone dashed over to open the door for her, to loud cheers and laughter.

Everything went to plan, and 142057 appeared from the mist to take me to Marple. In the end I had a comfortable connection as the ex-Sheffield service lost more time. Continuing the 14205X theme, mileage requirement 142055 from earlier in the day was on this service. I can’t remember the last time I had 2 required Northern pacers in a row, so I was glad I’d kept my eyes peeled at Piccadily.

This service offered a nice connection onto the 1946 Hadfield service, so it seemed like a good time to call it a night. It was looking in jeopardy due to the now 9 minute delay to my train, but when I checked in more detail I noticed the inbound Hadfield service was delayed also. It was actually behind us by the time we reached Ashburys, so all I had to do was walk round from platform 1 to platform 2 to find my train following us in. I’d used all my luck for the day, dud 323231 from the first move of the day way back to take me Hadfield.

Ideally I’d have picked up something to eat on the train, but there wasn’t time. I checked out food options in Hadfield and found a few takeaways walkable from the station. Got myself a donner meat and chips from Pizza Royal, might as well start the Christmas feasting early! A good end to the ear and the annual mileage ticked over 9,500, but unfortunately reaching 10,000 with only a few days of the year remaining is now not likely.

323231 HDF-NWN
323237 NWN-HTY
323224 HTY-MAN
142045 MAN-DGT
156440 DGT-MCO
158857 & 158788 MCO-MAN
323228 MAN-CHU
323225 CHU-SPT
150141 & 150142 SPT-MAN
150207 & 142013 MAN-MCO
350401 MCO-MAN
67015 MAN-WBQ
175104 WBQ-MAN
142056 MAN-RML
142057 RML-MPL
142055 MPL-MAN
323231  MAN-HDF

6 new stations: Cheadle Hulme, Hadfield, Hattersley, Marple, Newton for Hyde, Romiley
11 new units/locos: 1x 67, 3x 142, 2x 150, 1x 158, 1x 175, 3x 323
9 dud units: 2x 142, 1x 150, 1x 156, 1x 158, 3x 323, 1x 350

Day mileage: 114 miles

Kite159

Veteran Member
A productive evening in the GM wayfarer area :)

Agreed about Friday evening being quieter than normal, I guess either the workers had already finished for Christmas, had a half day or were staying later on Bloody Friday to celebrate

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very productive time in Manchester! Good memories generated for me there, both of clearing the 323s and of something else but let's not go there!

Beautiful photos, as always, you sure have a knack for them!

ash39

Established Member
Thanks, probably my best GM wayfarer day out of the four or five I've done this year, purely for the nice mix of winners, stations and photos. Won't be rushing back until they stick another winner 67 on the ATW set though!

ash39

Established Member
South Pennines Day Ranger – Saturday 30th December 2017

Didn’t expect to be out again this year, but my mate fancied doing the first TPE loco hauled service and I didn’t want to miss out! I drove to Woodlesford station to find a surprisingly empty car park. My mate wouldn’t be joining me until the evening, so I had a couple of hours to kill first. I’d also heard that 91105 and 91117 were operating top and tail for the day and would be due in Leeds in the early evening so I wanted to be back for that, other than that I was making it up as I went. First up was 144022 on the 1340 to Leeds.

No ticket check was done on board, but I managed to buy my ranger with no fuss from the ticket stall on the footbridge at Leeds. I had enough time to get a photo of required 155346 in its new(ish) white livery.

155346 Leeds 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Unfortunately it was on a Knaresborough service which meant I couldn’t do it with my ticket, meaning I would remain no nearer to clearing the awkward small class. Instead I headed west on dud 185113 to winner station Stalybridge.

My next train was already in the bay, and the 142/156 combination looked promising. Unfortunately they were both dud, 142090 leading a filthy 156452 to Ashton-under-Lyne.

156452 Ashton-under-Lyne 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Ashton-under-Lyne wouldn't usually have been a logical place to bail, as it was a +29 for a train back. I had a plan though. I’d been wanting to pick up FIFA 18 since it dropped in price, but nowhere local to me had it in stock. Conveniently, there was an Argos 4 minutes' walk from the station, so I went and got it.

A short wait back at the station finally produced a winner, white 156489 for the short run back to Stalybridge. Another white one was heading the other way, Northern seem to be getting through the 156 repaints a lot quicker than their other fleets.

156438 Stalybridge 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The last train I could get back across the Pennines in order to comfortably catch the blunt 91 left Manchester Piccadilly at 1626. As it didn’t stop at Stalybridge, I went into Manchester to come back out. Dud 185122 took me in. I took the opportunity to pick up some food for later, a ‘kebab style chicken’ limited edition sandwich from Boots, reduced to a pound, was purchased.

The through platforms at Piccadilly were closed for engineering works, as well as a couple of the higher numbered bay platforms, so there were a lot of services trying to use the remaining platforms. After a delay and a last-minute platform change, dud 185114 took me back over to Leeds. Annoyingly the delay was now around 16 minutes which meant there was a good chance any Leeds-bound Huddersfield fans would be on my train after their game with Burnley. This proved to be the case, although due to the game being a 0-0 draw spirits weren’t particularly high and the train remained civilised.

Despite the delay, I had enough time to get a shot of the unusual formation before boarding the train.

91105 Leeds 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

It was the 1745 Leeds to London Kings Cross service, which offered a good connection at Wakefield Westgate onto a northbound Voyager which my mate was on. I had enough time to get a honeycomb latte from Costa before boarding 220031. I wasn’t happy about boarding a Voyager, and I was even less enthusiastic when I found it to be a dud. My mate was in coach D, which to my bemusement was not the rear coach of the four car unit. I realised this when I couldn’t find him!

We had a tight connection at Leeds onto a Hull-Manchester service. It ended up leaving before our train came to a halt, which threw that out of the window. It was also 10 seconds early! Another train was 15 minutes behind, so my mate took the chance to get some food from McDonalds. My ticket, despite being valid, wouldn’t work the barriers. In contrast, my mate accidentally presented his Greater Manchester Daysaver instead of his West Yorkshire Day Rover, and it let him through!

We came back through the barriers to the sight of a rake of immaculate looking blue & grey mk2's in platform 9, and the unmistakable sound of a Class 68. It was the Pathfinder tours 'Trans-Pennine Deltic Reprise' railtour, with 68031 on the south-facing end. The 68 couldn't have been positioned worse for a photo, with units blocking it in and the platform 10 buffer stop obstructing the only half decent view available! We didn't have time to see the Deltic on the other end, as our train was arriving on platform 16.

185145 was our train to Manchester. An uneventful journey followed, arriving in Manchester at 1945. We had just under an hour before the loco hauled service, and we’d identified a couple of potential time killing moves we could do in the meantime. One of them was a New Mills service leaving from the adjacent platform, which offered a decent connection at Ashburys. My mate was keen as he required 142007, and I had it for less than a mile so we decided to board. The unit then shunted back to couple up to 150141, another low mileage unit. We never made it any further though, as an announcement then followed stating that the driver was 15 minutes late, which meant our Ashburys connection wouldn’t hold.

We now had no option but to stay put for the 68's, so we went to Sainsburys for a drink. I got a pizza slice as well, having bought one from here before and found it to be nicer than expected. I also bought my TPE-only return to Manchester Aiport, as the day ranger wasn't valid to the airport. We had a walk down platforms 8/9 to see what was happening over on the through platforms. Freightliner 66563 was at the head of a short rake of open wagons, with the driver looking rather fed up with his feet up on the dashboard.

Again, delays were stacking up on trains approaching the station. It wasn't clear which platform the 68's would arrive into, but it was now late arriving and we were starting to be concerned, as the service had to run to time in order for us to make a +10 at Piccadilly onto the Leeds train, and a +7 at Leeds onto the last Woodlesford train of the day. We realised it would be arriving on platform 7 when we noticed around 100 people eagerly awaiting it with cameras! In rolled 68003, with 68030 on the other end as expected. We took a seat in the rearmost coach, which was first class. Despite the late arrival of the ECS, the train was dispatched quickly and we were away just 3 late at 2041. Hopefully the first of many runs behind winner 68030.

It wasn't long into the journey when the lights packed in on the coach next to ours, which was the buffet (10212). Torches were quickly put out, suggesting that this was not entirely unexpected! An announcement followed over the PA (which later also packed in) asking if anyone had 50p for the meter! We were in 11018, and our lights held out to the airport, where everyone poured out to get photos. Us included!

68003 Manchester Airport 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

68030 Manchester Airport 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

68030 Manchester Airport 30/12/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Manchester Airport isn't the best station for photography, but I was happy enough with them as a record of the first TPE loco hauled service of the new era. I was pleased to get 68003, a loco not destined to be allocated to TPE in the future, into the book. On the contrary, it seemed most of the other people on board were after 68030 as it hadn't worked much prior to this.

We left 3 minutes early at 2112. We were now in the blackout coach, as the coach we had travelled down in was now full as it was right next to 68003. It was an enjoyable run in the darkness, trundling along at a steady speed behind a Wilmslow to Manchester Piccadilly stopper. We overheard a conversation between someone who had been involved with the coaches, presumably a DRS or TPE employee, saying that when it arrived with them this particular coach only had 20 volts on its batteries, and they have a low voltage protection system which kicks in at 75 volts.

Our train back to Leeds was following from the airport. Unfortunately, it was now 3 minutes late, which made our connection at Leeds dodgy. Dud 185151 was our train home, and we managed to get a pair of priority seats right behind the drivers cab in coach A. We lost another couple of minutes en route, but we were dealt a huge slice of luck. The inbound Sheffield service which forms the last Woodlesford train out of Leeds was 18 late leaving Sheffield, meaning it would arrive in Leeds after it was due to leave.

We would have had around 90 seconds had it been on time. In the end we even had time to use the toilets on platform 12 before making our way to platform 11 for the train. In rolled 144007, and a swift turnaround leaving at 2243 meant were only 8 minutes late into Woodlesford. I dropped my mate off at home and arrived home just after 2330. Only 3 winners and 2 stations for half a day is not hugely successful, and I didn't make much use of the ranger validity, but it was certainly a unique day out!

Day summary:

144022 WDS-LDS
185113 LDS-SYB
142090 & 156452 SYB-AHN
156489 AHN-SYB
185122 SYB-MAN
185114 MAN-LDS
91105 LDS-WKF
220031 WKF-LDS
185145 LDS-MAN
68030 MAN-MIA
68003 MIA-MAN
185151 MAN-LDS
144007 LDS-WDS

2 new stations: Ashton-under-Lyne & Stalybridge
3 new locos/units: 2x 68, 1x 156
11 dud locos/units: 1x 91, 1x 142, 2x 144, 1x 156, 5x 185, 1x 220

Day mileage: 227 miles

Iskra

Established Member
Nice report, I do like a South Pennine Ranger. Well done on 68003. I was on the Deltic railtour, the coaches are very smart indeed and some have been freshly painted to make a uniform set. I was also on the service out of Sheffield that was 18L as far as Chapeltown which formed your train to Woodlesford.

Why were the 91's arranged like that?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good day with a good variety of locos

I saw that Mk4 rake earlier in the day with the 91 leading, I guess the other 91 must have been attached in London as I'm pretty sure I didn't see one at the rear (this would have been its first southbound service)

ash39

Established Member
Nice report, I do like a South Pennine Ranger. Well done on 68003. I was on the Deltic railtour, the coaches are very smart indeed and some have been freshly painted to make a uniform set. I was also on the service out of Sheffield that was 18L as far as Chapeltown which formed your train to Woodlesford.

Why were the 91's arranged like that?

Yes I just read your report, sounded like a good day out! I'm confused by the Sheffield delay though, it does sound like you caught the same service, but you had a 158/142 combo. When it arrived at Leeds it was a solo 144!

Most common reason for a blunt 91 is a DVT failure.

Sounded like a good day with a good variety of locos

I saw that Mk4 rake earlier in the day with the 91 leading, I guess the other 91 must have been attached in London as I'm pretty sure I didn't see one at the rear (this would have been its first southbound service)

From the info posted on another site, it sounds like it came off Bounds Green in this formation.

What you're saying has happened before though when a DVT has failed 'up north'. They run the loco round, run southbound with no loco on the rear and then stick another one on at Kings Cross.

Established Member
I'm just catching up with a few write-ups.
The photo of 60002 at Warrington is great!

I was slightly tempted by the 68s, especially 68003 for the reason you give, but had a long day on the 30th and couldn't be bothered doing the trek over.

Excellent reports and photos!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I didn't know the 68s had now started on TPX, interesting...68003 has been dud for ages here, 68030 however is very much required.

Nice fun day out there for you though!

Established Member
Yeah; as far as I'm aware, TPE had to run a 68 hauled service before 31/12/17 or be in breach of their franchise commitments.

ash39

Established Member
I'm just catching up with a few write-ups.
The photo of 60002 at Warrington is great!

I was slightly tempted by the 68s, especially 68003 for the reason you give, but had a long day on the 30th and couldn't be bothered doing the trek over.

Excellent reports and photos!

Thanks!

Yes the 68's were a bit of a cop out really, not sure a red-pen special to the airport and back was what they had in mind when that particular condition of the franchise was agreed! Definitely whet the appetite for when they start for real though.

Bit of a brief review of 2017, seeing as it's now over. I didn't really have any targets at the start of the year, but I've way surpassed my expectations and had a bit of a bumper year, particularly the 7 day FONE rover I did in the summer.

Mileage: 9,749 (up from 4,865 in 2016)
Stations: 194 (total visited at end of 2017 stands at 317)

Working out overall winners from the way my sheet works would be too much effort, but a few highlights based on what I've been most interested in...

HST - 32 winners (up to 62/194)
Class 67 - 5 winners (up to 12/30)
Class 91 - 6 winners (up to 30/31)
Class 142 - 56 winners (up to 79/94)
Class 144 - 3 winners (now cleared)
Class 185 - 8 winners (up to 43/51)
Class 333 - 6 winners (up to 15/16)

I'm slightly annoyed I didn't make 10k miles and 200 shacks, but I've seen a lot of new places and had some memorable trips this year, so no complaints. I'd like to aim for the same sort of numbers again in 2018, but the big aims for the year are to finish the Class 142's before they are no more, as well as making inroads into the many HST's that are vacant from my book. 91110 and 155346 and 333014 would be nice to get as well...

And now, the first of 2018's travels...

Greater Manchester Wayfarer - 6th January 2018

For the third week running, I found myself Manchester bound! This time it was for a forum challenge. Travel would be courtesy of Northern, thanks to some delay repay tickets arriving in the post a few days prior. As usual with Northern, it had been so long since submitting the claim, I’d forgotten about it...

Even though I could have boarded the same train at York, I drove to Garforth instead. It takes under half an hour, and saves either a 20 minute walk or paying £7 for weekend parking at York station. After finishing my breakfast I was cutting it a bit fine, but the roads were quiet and I arrived around 5 minutes before the train. Not having to allow time to buy tickets was also a bonus. A Virgin HST on a Skipton-London Kings Cross service (via Hambleton Junction) passed, before my train appeared in the distance. First move of 2018 fell to dud 158756. Thankfully, it nice and toasty on board. An ex-Grand Central HST was seen on Neville Hill depot, with big chunks of missing paint where the branding was hastily removed.

When travelling to Manchester on Northern-only tickets in the past, I had always changed at Leeds. This time I decided to change at Hebden Bridge, as there was a +14 available and it broke up the journey a bit more.

158756 Hebden Bridge 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I got lucky here, as following shortly behind my train was 150203 fresh from the paint shop at Doncaster, running back to Newton Heath.

150203 Hebden Bridge 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I used the toilets before making my way back under the underpass. My train was one of the ‘new’ Manchester Oxford Road services, utilising the Ordsall Chord (basically an extension of the Leeds-Man Vic service). I didn’t know what unit to expect on this, so I was pleased when winner 155343 turned up. Just 155346 to go now!

I bailed at Victoria, despite being tempted to go round the chord. I’m sure I’ll do that many times in the future. I bought my Wayfarer, and grabbed the worlds slowest coffee (Starbucks trainee) before making my way over to platform 6. I had an hour until the challenge began, and I’d spotted a station score was possible before the meeting time. 153304 and 150132 were taken to Castleton. Victoria had been eerily quiet, and only a handful of people joined this service. Due to the 153 being on the front and inaccessible from the 150, I had my own private unit for the journey!

150132 Castleton 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Dud, and busy, 150218 lead dud 150134 back to Victoria, where I met up with the group. There were a number of Burnley fans on my train heading to the away FA cup tie at Manchester City. It became apparent they were Burnley fans when they started singing as they alighted the train. Couldn’t help but think of the scene from The Inbetweeners Movie!

150134 Manchester Victoria 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

1100 soon came, and I made for the 1102 Liverpool Lime Street service, which was dud 319379. I had done a rough plan for the challenge, but mistakenly thought you only had to pass a station to count it. I also thought the whole Wayfarer area counted, but only the GM daysaver ticket area was valid for points in the challenge. I was surprised to see most people make a dash on foot to Piccadilly, but Mike395 and Statto joined me on the 319. Whilst we hadn’t officially decided to form a team, our plans were broadly similar so we stuck together.

We left the 319 at Newton-le-Willows, scoring Eccles and Patricroft for challenge points on the way. Winner 175009 took us back. We had eyes on the Liverpool stopper next, but as it would have been almost 30 minutes to wait at Oxford Road, we stayed on to Piccadilly and caught winner 319368 back to Oxford Road.

Our train was showing as arrived, but it was still a couple of minutes away. It arrived and we boarded, although there was still 15 minutes until departure. I got my list of moves up to date, which was taking longer than normal as I don’t usually bother with departure and arrival times, but these were necessary for the challenge. I also ate my homemade coronation chicken sandwiches that I brought along to save some cash. The train was formed of winner 150276 and dud 150224, and we took them to winner shack Birchwood.

150224 Birchwood 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I remember as a youngster hearing the announcements for Liverpool-bound trains at Leeds station. I knew all the local stations and bigger towns on the route, but I never knew quite where Birchwood was. It took a couple of decades, but I can now say I’ve been there!

From here we had a nice connection onto a TPE back, but a late running Northern service arrived first. We wouldn’t score any extra points but took 156460 anyway, a low-mileage unit for me. This terminated at Oxford Road, and we crossed from platform 3 to platform 2 to board our original planned service, which was 185109. Unfortunately it was a few minutes late, making our platform 13 to platform 1 interchange at Piccadilly look unlikely. In the event, we would have made it but I’d made a mistake – the Rose Hill train we aimed to catch left at 1314, but I thought it was 1315!

We were on the footbridge as it pulled away, so we made a dash for plan B which was a Chester service. We nearly missed that one as well, platform 12 being the only platform in the station that is inaccessible from the footbridge! 150117 took us to winner shack Hale.

150117 Hale 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

This was a good move, as not only was it the best connection back towards Manchester, but it was the furthest out station on the GM daysaver area. Winner 150118 took us back, and we stayed on all the way back to score points for Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme.

Second time lucky, this time we made a +4 onto a Rose Hill service, which was formed of dud 150205. We took this to Romiley, in order to take the alternative route back via Bredbury to score more points. We had 15 minutes at Romiley, so Mike went to get some sustenance whilst I aimed to get a photo of the station, as it was dark on my only previous visit.

142012 Romiley 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Dud 142087 took us back to Piccadilly. We had enough time left for one more move before the 1700 cut off time, and decided the best move would be to get the 1541 TPE service to Stalybridge, to catch the shuttle back to Victoria. Once again I had a stroke of luck, not only was it winner 185147, but it was a refurbished unit so I could put some charge onto my phone. The refurb made no difference in the end as we even managed to secure a table on an unusually quiet 185.

Our shuttle was already in the bay at Stalybridge. I had major déjà vu from the previous week when I caught a 142/156 combination from the same platform. Those were double duds, but today I was on a roll and winner 142037 became my 80th 142 in the book, with winner 156486 on the rear for good measure. We sat in the 156 for 10 minutes or so before departure, using the facilities on board in the meantime. With the engine off, the hand dryer sounded like an F1 car from the outside! As usual with train hand dryers though, the performance left a lot to be desired.

We finished the challenge with 28 stations called at, which I considered quite respectable considering we took it fairly steady and did no walks or bus moves. We caught a tram to the finishing point, which was outside the town hall. Unfortunately we came way down the pecking order in the challenge, but it was a good day overall and I got some stations and units ticked off as well.

I left the group just after 1710 to make my way back to Victoria. I was originally going to wait until I got home to eat, but as that wouldn’t be until after 2030 I decided to get a muffin from Starbucks. In complete contrast to my poor experience at Victoria this morning (where not only was the service slow and borderline rude, but my gold member free extras were not deducted from the total), the barista randomly gave me a wallet full of 50p off each item vouchers! I didn’t see him give any to the person before or after me, which was a little odd. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I gratefully accepted and he even used two vouchers against my order, meaning my latte and muffin came to under £3! I’m slowly learning to not use franchised stores at train stations/motorway services, as the prices are higher and service much poorer.

I ate the muffin in store, before walking the last few hundred yards to Victoria. I had two possible routes home – the way I came (via Bradford) or Huddersfield. Things weren’t looking too good, both trains were in their respective bay platforms. The Leeds train was dud 155343 from this morning, and the Huddersfield train was dud 156486 and 142038 from a hour ago! Another 142 rolled in to attach to the 155, but it was also dud so I went for the Huddersfield option on the grounds of variety of route (plus I’d get an extra move from HUD-LDS).

I had a bit of time for photos at Huddersfield before my train.

158849 Huddersfield 06/01/2018
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

158849 was on my stopper, not what I expected! We left a couple of minutes late behind a slow TPE service (nothing new there). Leeds seemed to arrive quicker than expected, probably because I wss typing up the trip report en route. Annoyingly, 155346 was spotted in one of the bay platforms! I had a very convenient same platform change onto my train home, but there was 20 minutes until depature time. 144017 was in position but still locked up. I walked over to get a photo of 91104 in platform 9, which is fairly unusual. Other than early and late departures where multiple sets run to/from Neville Hill, they tend to go into platforms 6 or 8.

144017 was my train home as expected, meaning I’d now travelled on every type of Northern DMU over the course of the day, which I'm pretty sure was a first for me. Arrival at Garforth was on time at 2004, and I was home just before 2040 after a short delay due to a frosted windscreen!

158756 GRF-HBD
155343 HBD-MCV
153304 & 150132 MCV-CAS
150218 & 150134 CAS-MCV
319379 MCV-NLW
175009 NLW-MAN
319368 MAN-MCO
150276 & 150224 MCO-BWD
156460 BWD-MCO
185109 MCO-MAN
150117 MAN-HAL
HAL-MAN
150205 MAN-RML
142087 RML-MAN
185147 MAN-SYB
142038 & 156486 SYB-MCV
156486 & 142038 MCV-HUD
158849 HUD-LDS
144017 LDS-GRF

3 new stations: Birchwood, Castleton, Hale
9 new units: 1x 142, 2x 150, 1x 153, 1x 155, 1x 156, 1x 175, 1x 185, 1x 319
15 dud units: 2x 142, 1x 144, 6x 150, 2x 156, 2x 158, 1x 185, 1x 319

Day mileage: 247 miles

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
As always your photos are brilliant! I can't wait for the 68s to start properly on the TPEs. One of your aims is the same as mine, clear the 142s before it's too late!

ash39

Established Member
As always your photos are brilliant! I can't wait for the 68s to start properly on the TPEs. One of your aims is the same as mine, clear the 142s before it's too late!

Thanks. The last ones are the hardest to track down! How many have you got to go?

A good day in Manchester :)

And you survived a trip to Birchwood without getting mugged ;)

I was only there a matter of minutes so I didn't see much of it, but it seemed an OK place. Did you have a different experience?!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had around 5 minutes there a few years ago, quite a few "ABSO" kids hanging around the station who looked like the sort of kids you don't want to run into when it was dark as they probably were carrying knifes ready to mug anybody from "not around here".

Felt safer on some of the urban Glasgow stations

noddy1878

Established Member
Thanks. The last ones are the hardest to track down! How many have you got to go?

Six. I trip to the North East and another to the North West coming up in the next few months should hopefully see that fall once more.

No report up yet....?! Looking forward to seeing yesterday’s little jaunt here.

Been reading back through and can’t get my head round does 142007 count even though it was had for about 1 metre?

Status
Not open for further replies.