• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashchurch MOD traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
How often does the MOD facility at Ashchurch see rail traffic? Obviously this can depend on Britain's military commitments at the time but I ask because I've just seen this working on realtimetrains which is due to run tomorrow.

6U42 0935 Ashchurch War Dept G.F. to Tyseley T.M.D.
Schedule Information
STP schedule UID O25383, identity 6U42
Runs on 05/09/2016 only
Service code 53693601
Civil Engineer
Operational Information
Schedule from VSTP
Timed for 134mph max
Diesel locomotive

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O25383/2016/09/05/advanced

Will this be a track machine I wonder?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
I don't think there is any traffic at all now, ad-hoc or otherwise, I'm afraid.

MARK

Has the line been declared as out of use or is it just moribund?

Just had a look at RTT, there are out and return paths to Didcot but they obviously don't run.

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
Traffic at Ashchurch has always been more erratic because the site deals with vehicles, which don't tend to be moved as often as stores, which is the job of Bicester (though a lot of its work is being moved to Donnington in Telford) or ammunition, which is what Kineton handles.

Ashchurch was due to close, but now seems to be guaranteed a future until 2025 after Babcock got a 10-year contract to look after military vehicle maintenance. Whether Babcock plans to use rail transport remains unclear, hence the current lack of traffic noted above.

Harbornite

Established Member
Traffic at Ashchurch has always been more erratic because the site deals with vehicles, which don't tend to be moved as often as stores, which is the job of Bicester (though a lot of its work is being moved to Donnington in Telford) or ammunition, which is what Kineton handles.

Ashchurch was due to close, but now seems to be guaranteed a future until 2025 after Babcock got a 10-year contract to look after military vehicle maintenance. Whether Babcock plans to use rail transport remains unclear, hence the current lack of traffic noted above.

Thanks for clearing that up, the last movements of vehicles by rail to and from the site were in 2014.

GlosRail

The War Dept appears to be sidings on the main line, under the A46 bridge, which often store track machines.

I walked over the foot crossing (coming out of the church grave yard) over the line into the MOD stores last week and the line is all still in place and is clear and looks ready to use as and when needed.

Harbornite

Established Member
The War Dept appears to be sidings on the main line, under the A46 bridge, which often store track machines.

I walked over the foot crossing (coming out of the church grave yard) over the line into the MOD stores last week and the line is all still in place and is clear and looks ready to use as and when needed.

Thanks, good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.