• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashchurch to Worcestershire Parkway - no fares avilable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Good afternoon,

I'm currently in the process of planning a trip, and as part of that I'm trying to obtain an Ashchurch to Worcestershire Parkway ticket on one of the handful of direct CrossCountry services. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any fares available. (This is for 30th December, 1 adult with 16-25 railard, aiming for the 0725 or 0803 from ASC and 2158 from WOP.)

On the CrossCountry website:
Capture.PNG
Nothing here then.
On the National Rail website:
Capture1.PNG
Only fares via Worcester itself seem to be available.

I've never come across this before, presumably it's because the station is new. I wonder what would happen if I just got on the train and asked for a ticket?

Is anyone able to advise on this?
Thanks very much if you can.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the fare via Worcester is actually two fares combined:
Capture2.PNG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
There are indeed no fares set. Perhaps contact the relevant TOC and ask if they can set a fare?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s quite usual for fares to initially be missing or screwed up by new openings or newly available routes.

Perhaps the fares managers never get told it’s happening, or just don’t know the effects...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will it be permitted to use a Ashchurch to Worcester ticket to change at Worcestershire Parkway on these trains?

ABB125

Established Member
There are indeed no fares set. Perhaps contact the relevant TOC and ask if they can set a fare?

It’s quite usual for fares to initially be missing or screwed up by new openings or newly available routes.

Perhaps the fares managers never get told it’s happening, or just don’t know the effects...
Thanks both. I will make an enquiry with CrossCountry and see what they say.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Ashchurch to Worcester stations will be valid via Worcestershire parkway as it's within 3 miles of the shortest route.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I don't know, but that seems to be a rather convoluted route, taking longer than the direct train which avoids the station.
Its 100% valid - it's only a hair longer than taking the Abbotswood Jn.-Norton Jn. curve, so it's well within the permitted 3 miles of the shortest route.

I wouldn't exactly call it a convoluted route, either, when you are never more than a couple of hundred yards off the curve forming the shortest route. That'd be like calling Reading-Oxford changing at Didcot Parkway a convoluted route because there's an avoiding curve which some trains use!

Several fastest journey opportunities are also created by the construction of WOP, some being quite useful in filling gaps in ASC's otherwise two-hourly service (e.g. 08:03 ASC - 08:14 WOP, 08:55 WOP - 09:05 WOS).

ABB125

Established Member
Its 100% valid - it's only a hair longer than taking the Abbotswood Jn.-Norton Jn. curve, so it's well within the permitted 3 miles of the shortest route.

I wouldn't exactly call it a convoluted route, either, when you are never more than a couple of hundred yards off the curve forming the shortest route. That'd be like calling Reading-Oxford changing at Didcot Parkway a convoluted route because there's an avoiding curve which some trains use!

Several fastest journey opportunities are also created by the construction of WOP, some being quite useful in filling gaps in ASC's otherwise two-hourly service (e.g. 08:03 ASC - 08:14 WOP, 08:55 WOP - 09:05 WOS).
Perhaps I should have said longer journey time: the itinerary you list takes 1 hour, compared with about 20 minutes for the direct train. That's not to say that some people wouldn't opt for the route via WOP, but unless I had to, I'd take the direct train!

Status
Not open for further replies.