• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashford-Minster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southernrover

Afternoon all,
I'm doing some research into the Ashford-Minster section of the former SR and have a few queries.
There's plenty of historical material around about the line already out there but what I want to know is
what is the current situation regarding the signalling on the line.
Ashford IECC controls that end but who supervises the signalling and level crossings at Wye, Chillham, Chartham
Sturry & Minster.
I understand that the Signalbox at Canterbury West is still operational so has that taken over supervision of the line or have things all gone to Ashford IECC?

Thanks for any info anyone may have.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
My Trackmaps has a Canterbury/Wye Area Control Centre covering Chartham to before Wye (Up)/Wye to before Chartham (Down) and Sturry/Minster still as before. I hope someone can update this.

Gloster

Established Member
There is a 2017 video titled Canterbury Area on The Signalling Record Society’s FARSAP video pages: under Archives (I think). Sorry, I haven’t watched it and can’t do a link.

BS56

My Trackmaps has a Canterbury/Wye Area Control Centre covering Chartham to before Wye (Up)/Wye to before Chartham (Down) and Sturry/Minster still as before. I hope someone can update this.
That is correct although the level crossing's at Wye and Chartham are controlled locally. A second panel was installed in Canterbury / Wye area signalling centre to extend it's control out to Minister but the work was cancelled not sure if the second panel is still there or has since been removed.

Southernrover

Thanks all for the replies.
I did find the 2017 FARSAP video but wondered if anything had changed since then.
The Canterbury Wye area “hut” is still in situ near the main box and I believe still interfaces with a couple of local crossings.
The Signalbox at Minster seems to be closed so who is overseeing the triangular layout there?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I am not aware that Minster signalbox is closed...

My memory is a bit hazy but Canterbury West controls the station area whilst the Canterbury-Wye Area Control Centre (sited in the shadow of Canterbury West box) controls up to (and including Wye). There is a gate box at Chartham with release and a ground frame and manual gates at Wye. The respective protecting colour lights at Chartham and Wye cannot display a green until the gates are locked to road traffic and the release lever(s) reversed (or pulled).

Sturry used to be a gate box but became a block post around 2003 as the section between Canterbury West and Minster was too long, considering both the domestic and HS1 services would use the line

Minster box works to Sandwich and presumably fringes with East Kent Control Centre somewhere between Minster and Ramsgate

There are no semaphore signals between Ashford and Minster although a few mechanical ground shunt signals remain at Canterbury West

Last edited:

Southernrover

Thanks again for the reply,
Not sure why I had it in my mind that Minster box had closed-maybe I read something about "when" NR wants it to close by.
I haven't heard anything about any plans to move the line into Ashford (or Gillingham) IECC so I guess the current arrangements will continue for the foreseeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.