• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashford to Folkestone - 100mph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
12 car 375s automatically derate to avoid overloading the current supply (at least they did a few years back when I was briefly driving them with a DI). 12s were noticeably more sluggish than 8s, especially on the looong climb out of Rochester towards London on the Chatham mainline.
Thanks for the knowledge mate

FlippyFF

Yes and yes. Bidirectionally signalled lines are almost invariably slower in the 'wrong' direction in order to keep costs and complexity down. Where there are differential speed limits, the upper limit applies to any train that doesn't match the lower category/ies.
Between Ashford & Folkestone West it's not bi-directional is it? Yes signals are there but they are covered over.

Simon

Established Member
Between Ashford & Folkestone West it's not bi-directional is it? Yes signals are there but they are covered over.

Simon

It’s SIMBIDs (simplified bi directional signalling) rather than fully bi-di from just south if Orpington to Ashford, which is max 70mph in the “wrong” direction. Not sure about beyond Ashford.

brad465

Established Member

Simon
Unless something has changed in the last year or so where I haven't been that way, it's still bi-directional between Dollands Moor and Ashford. There are covered up signals in the Folkestone area dating from when 4 tracks existed here until the late 90s when they were cut to 2, reflecting the closure of Dover Marine/Western Docks and the Channel Tunnel opening.

FlippyFF

It was the covered signals at Folkestone West that I was thinking off.
A couple of years ago the am peak was knackered by a unit coming out of the sidings at Folkstone (IIRC) and everything being stuck behind it, if bi-directional running was available, they didn't use it (If it was available there may of course be reasons why it wasn't used).

Simon

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Indicative, I should have written. Unless you have a way of knowing the driver is full notch 0-60.
Which you can't know. You can make educated guesses based upon:
1. If you feel any more power applied across the speed range,
2. If the driver is late they will surely go full power to make up time.

Even those methods aren't reliable.

D365

Veteran Member
Even those methods aren't reliable.
Hence why I keep reiterating that, as long as mechanical specification is broadly the same, the difference in rate of acceleration between subclasses is minimal.

notadriver

Established Member
Hence why I keep reiterating that, as long as mechanical specification is broadly the same, the difference in rate of acceleration between subclasses is minimal.

You are correct of course but when I’ve struggled to get a 375/9 up to 100 mph before braking for the Westenhanger stop and a 375/6 easily achieves this before Herringe its very obvious. You only get 8 minutes from Ashford so it’s full power all the way :D

D365

Veteran Member
You are correct of course but when I’ve struggled to get a 375/9 up to 100 mph before braking for the Westenhanger stop and a 375/6 easily achieves this before Herringe its very obvious. You only get 8 minutes from Ashford so it’s full power all the way :D
Given that most of my work assignments so far have concerned Cl377/379 (which, of course, are not relevant to this discussion), I'll concede that I'm not as familiar with the Cl375!

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
If you mean it takes a 375 8 minutes to get from Ashford to Westenhanger, you are implying a Javelin takes 8 minutes to reach just 85mph (assuming you meant 6 car formation). I don't know if a Javelin could ever get to 100 on level track.
I think the 395 could only ever achieve 100 downhill on DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.