• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashford to London via Haywards Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
This isn't a particular fare I'm after but just a general question. I know that the route via Haywards Heath isn't in the valid routes section in the Routeing Guide, but it appears that a season ticket is available for that route (it is in fact the cheapest one for Ashford to London) and yet singles/returns are not available. When you put "via Haywards Heath" in Southern's journey planner, they show trains via Tonbridge, Redhill and Gatwick Airport and reversing to get to Haywards Heath before venturing north again... Should there actually be fares for that route or is it such a long winded way of getting from A to B that it isn't there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Singles and returns are available.

Ashford Intl - London Terminals
Route Via Haywards Hth

Anytime Day Return £51.90
Off-Peak Return £30.90 Restriction 4B
Anytime Day Single £28
Off-Peak Day Return £27.80 Restriction B1
Off-Peak Day Single £27.70 Restriction B1
Super Off-Peak Day Return £16 Restriction PB
Super Off-Peak Day Single £15.90 Restriction PB

johnnycache

I just checked in webTIS and you certainly get some strange options (Ashford-St Pancras-Haywards Heath-Victoria for instance). These include huge doublebacks (Redhill-Haywards Heath-Redhill) so should not be allowed. The fares in question are not really of any value for passengers who want to go direct to London but may be of interest for people who want to break journey at say Brighton or Gatwick Airport. It is allowed to have routes that allow travel via routes not included in the routeing guide. Any permitted tickets are not valid on such routes.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have actually used this route with a through ticket in the past.

Once with the Oyster card offer a couple of years back (Southern took part in the offer and South Eastern didn't, therefore the five pound fare to Ashford was only available via Haywards Heath).

If I remember correctly, I also got a reasonably priced advanced ticket for the return journey a couple of days later.

philjo

Established Member
Fares to London from somewhere like Eastbourne will have a permitted route via Ashford.

we went last year to Eastbourne (mine was a CDR from Potters Bar) - journey out was from Victoria and returned in the evening via Ashford & HS1 to St Pancras.

island

Veteran Member
It is allowed to have routes that allow travel via routes not included in the routeing guide. Any permitted tickets are not valid on such routes.

Unless the Any Permitted fare is higher than the route-specific fare.

johnnycache

"You may only use all the permitted routes if the fare is unrouted or the route
is described as "any permitted". An "any permitted" ticket cannot be used for
travel on a route not listed in the Routeing Guide for which a higher priced
route specific fare exists. It can be used on any route not listed in the
Routeing Guide for which a lower priced route specific fare exists".

You are right. As above.

ji459

When you put "via Haywards Heath" in Southern's journey planner, they show trains via Tonbridge, Redhill and Gatwick Airport and reversing to get to Haywards Heath before venturing north again... Should there actually be fares for that route or is it such a long winded way of getting from A to B that it isn't there?

If you put "via Hastings" instead, you'll get the correct fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.