Asked to close window

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Trainfan344, 18 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainfan344

Trainfan344 Established Member

So on the dogbox (Class 153) home from Derby today, and get told to shut my window by an elderly lady, told her no as it was rather warm, and she threatened to get the guard involved...

The guard didn't turn up and eventually her and her friend moved away, there were 2 out of 14 windows open in our half of the 153, but what would have happened if she had complained to the guard, would I have been forced to shut my window?

2. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

If I was another passenger sitting within ear shot, I would have opened another window, or two, out of spite... Nothing would have happened, but try not to get too possessive over the windows ;)

3. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

If she was unable to put something else on, and you were in a position to take something off, I think you should have done that.

4. Trainfan344

I unzipped my coat and hoodie and made a very valid point... The smell coming from her takeaway was bad enough...
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I was hoping that would happen, but my fellow passengers seemed to be young couples more interested in each other than anything else!

5. johnnychips

johnnychips Established Member

I was envisioning a nice old granny with a walking stick who perhaps should have told you to take your hoodie off anyway, or you wouldn't 'feel the benefit' when you got off. But takeaway food is another matter, so perhaps a window open was appropriate. :D

6. Trainfan344

Half the windows were open, she complained about the window above me, and I pointed out that the windows were all open, so she closed them and went to close the one above me and I told her not to, and then she went on making remarks about how older people feel the cold more...

7. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

Sounds like you would have to deploy some Customer Service skills in this kind of situation... :lol: This sounds like a typical disappointed customer who doesn't get their way... oh you can tell I work in retail!! ;):lol:

8. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

I would have punched her in the face after weeks of arguments over the temperature in our office (I wouldn't really have done of course). Ha ha.

9. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

I think you should have highlighted that the fresh air was for her benefit as takeaway food is, in general, not a very healthy option for someone of her age......

10. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

The trouble with opening a window above you is that, whilst it is the only window you have control of, you feel no benefit yourself as the air sweeps through the hopper and cools the person 3 seats behind. Although it does have an overall effect of freshening the air in the carriage.

In a similar circumstance, I would have said:-

"I need fresh air, I feel so ill. I'm dosed up with immodium to get me home, vomitting and diarrhea is sweeping through our office."

Then do a fake cough.

11. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Sliding ventilators were much better for controllable ventilation. I never understood why they got rid of them.

12. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Speaking as a new member of "the septuagenarian club", I confess to feeling the effects of cold draughts far more now than in the days when I was a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed student of Manchester University in the early 1960's..:oops:

13. 387star

387star Established Member

Open windows will be phased out eventually with exceptions ie class 376

When all windows are open on a dmu very hard to hear the PA

14. bramling

bramling Established Member

Always seem to be issues at this time of year. Some still dress for the winter, whilst others turn up in minimal clothing and get the hump if there's any form of draught.

My view would tend to be that etiquette would say if you are first on then it's up to you what you want to do with the window, and if others who join later don't like it then find somewhere else to sit. If you join later then I can begin to understand others feeling unhappy. But generally, for what it's worth I'm not too sympathetic to those who claim to feel the cold - if you know you're going to have this issue, wear more clothes.

I would rather have a train where passengers have some control of the temperature, then an air-conditioned one, most of which I find too warm even when the system is working. Some can be unbearable, for example Northern 158s.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2015
  15. Greenback

Greenback Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The sensible thing would be for someone who is uncomfortable to move to another seat if possible. Many's the time I've got on to a bus and sat down only to find a window further up the vehicle is causing a draught to blow right in my face. I've never asked for a window to be shut as I just move or put up with it. Others may feel differently, and want that window shut.

16. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

tell them to move to Hong Kong, it can be like siberia in the MTR ;)

17. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

French trains and buses often have a sign saying that if there is a dispute as to whether the window should be open or closed, it should be closed. I'd probably agree with that in principle, particularly as it's more likely the elderly and infirm who are adversely affected by it being cold, while it might be unpleasant for someone to be a bit warm it's often much less of an actual issue.

(Though personally I would prefer it open at most times of year :) )
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Eating takeaway hot food on trains is rather inconsiderate (try that on a Nat Ex coach and you will get a proper gobful from the driver and your chips lobbed out of the window). In that case I might well have invited her to get the guard involved :)

Merseyrail used to have posters discouraging this. Wouldn't a sandwich or salad have been more appropriate?

Last edited: 19 Apr 2015
  18. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

Absolutely. Why 99% of passengers don't have the intelligence to realise this simple fact never ceases to amaze me.

I have sympathy with the OP if the woman was stinking out the carriage with some vile takeaway, I've occasionally been in similar situations with women applying nail varnish but it's always a source of wonderment why it seems quite acceptable to open a window but closing one is frowned upon!

19. snail

snail Established Member

This. Over the winter I've catching the same train each day from Mcr Victoria. There was one person who always sat in the same seat and always opened the window regardless of the temperature outside or on the train.

I find the hopper windows worse when you are standing up. And if it's a crowded train there isn't the option to move. Standing in a blast of ice cold air for 15-20 minutes is no fun in the middle of winter.

20. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

That is the truth. It is a relief from the outside air in September though.

21. pompeyfan

pompeyfan Established Member

On the buses I drive it's always the opposite, people will sit in sweltering heat with all the windows shut, and no one will open it. However if all windows are open, and the weather goes slightly overcast (for example) then a knee-jerk reaction will be to shut all windows, as apposed to only 1 or 2.

22. hulabaloo

hulabaloo Member

She gave up the right to common decency when she decided it was socially acceptable to eat her smelly dinner on the train. That's the only problem with train travel, you have to share the experience with the rest of the public.

23. quarella

quarella Member

It is an annoying time of year for shift workers who need a coat at one end of their day such as 0500 or 2300 but the other end of the working day, early afternoon it is a confounded nuisance.
    We all feel comfortable at different temperatures, but it is impossible to have the "right" temperature for all when you have such variations of attire between stereotypical Newcastle female going clubbing and someone wearing a coat the same as the type used on the last expedition to the South Pole. Add to that someone has been stood on a chilly platform for some time due to just missing the previous train. Passenger 2 has had a brisk 20 minute walk and passenger 3 sat in their car until the train pulled into the platform.

24. Bletchleyite

Presumably these shift workers don't have a bag to put their coat in, along with (say) their lunch?

Of all the things that are a nuisance in the world, this one seems pretty low level! :)

25. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Obviously this argument is solved by air conditioning.

Hot food on the trains is a weird one. I don't like it and as mentioned above it is banned on coaches. But on long distance trains, hot food is actually sold on the train!

Last edited: 20 Apr 2015
  26. Greenback

Greenback Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I just used to take my jacket off and carry it!

It's very difficult to find the right temperature for everyone to feel comfortable, as I discovered during one job I had running a call centre. I could solve all other problems there except for the arguments about having a window open and finding the right level for the heating.

As for eating on the train, I think we all have to accept that other passengers are going to be doing things we don't like such as eating, drinking, having a loud conversation, or having crying babies with them. As long as these things aren't prohibited, we just have to put up with them. The best way to that is to be as tolerant of others as you can be. I'm very conscious of the fact that I and my mates could have annoyed other passengers on some occasions in my younger days!

27. Bletchleyite

If it works :)

True. That is of course an argument for a restaurant car, where hot food can be sold/consumed, leaving cold takeaway food for elsewhere :)

28. GodAtum

GodAtum Established Member

is there any difference from hot food being served on planes and trains?

29. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

It isn't! You usually end up with some folk coming it's too cold and some complaining it's too hot.

30. Bletchleyite

Unless everyone is eating at the same time, which on long haul they mostly are, it's unpleasant on planes as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.