• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asked to leave station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
As things stand, yes, it was justified - nobody should be on railway premises unless they are staff or they are making an essential journey, because by being there you pose a potential risk to (or from) others who may arrive there.
I don't agree with this. If you are permitted to visit the newsagent to obtain a copy of the Sun you are equally permitted to go to the station to obtain a Metro.

Non Multi

Anyone fortunate enough to live near a level crossing by a station could time their daily walk to coincide with the gates coming down and the train moving slowly by in front of them at close proximity.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don't agree with this. If you are permitted to visit the newsagent to obtain a copy of the Sun you are equally permitted to go to the station to obtain a Metro.

Ultimately in both cases you’re only there by concern of the owner, who has every right to withdraw that consent if and when they choose.

londiscape

I'm getting fed up of seeing the 'Essential/Key workers only' line everywhere on the railway at the moment.

The railways are there for people making essential journeys. Not just key workers. If you have to go to work and you aren't a key worker, that is an essential journey. Sure, stopping to watch a train isn't essential but to tell you that you cannot be there because you aren't essential workers is wrong and OTT.
Quite - anyone who has "reasonable excuse" to leave their place of living is allowed to travel on the railway, which includes anyone who is not reasonably able to work from home, regardless of whether they are "essential workers" or "key workers" (which are in any case subjective terms).

Unless they've managed to sneak a new Byelaw in without anyone noticing :-/

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is not true. There are various acceptable reasons why someone who is not staff, nor making an essential journey, can be on railway premises.

Do you have an example? I can't think of one, other than possibly "collecting a member of their household who has made an essential journey".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite - anyone who has "reasonable excuse" to leave their place of living is allowed to travel on the railway, which includes anyone who is not reasonably able to work from home, regardless of whether they are "essential workers" or "key workers" (which are in any case subjective terms).

Unless they've managed to sneak a new Byelaw in without anyone noticing :-/

I wouldn't agree. It has to be necessary to use the railway as well.

There is no need to use the railway to exercise.
There is no need to use the railway if you own and drive a car.

LowLevel

Established Member
Re the youths comment. Where we've been having our regular little and not so little darlings hanging around and smoking/drinking on the premises we've been phoning the police on them and having them removed. It seems to be working because I've hardly noted any recently.

Normally we are very fond of enthusiasts and others visiting our stations but railway staff at the moment are very much on edge and a frosty reception is likely. I like to wave at kids, I let them sit in the driver's seat and have a photo with their parents on turnarounds, I give them their own tickets with their name written on and a little drawing. These aren't normal times though.

It's a lockdown, even if it's an unmanned station you have to no reason to be about our workplace and to be blunt we don't want you there at the minute.

There are plenty of places to be if you want to watch the trains on a walk without calling into an actual station.

LowLevel

Established Member
Do you have an example? I can't think of one, other than possibly "collecting a member of their household who has made an essential journey".

Some stations are public rights of way and others house shops selling essential goods, both of which are entirely fair game to be there if being used for lawful purposes (though the latter tend to be more pricey so I probably wouldn't bother!).

Status
Not open for further replies.