• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asking Virgin to amend an advance ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel78

Bit of an interesting one I had today.

I'm travelling from London - Manchester on 12th October, so I went online today and booked an advance single through the Virgin website, £21. Unfortunately like a dope I booked it for the 19th by accident. Entirely my error, but I found an archived thread on this forum where someone said a swift call to Virgin customer services had the ticket changed and the admin fee waived, so worth a try.

I phone up and explain my problem. Nice lady is understanding, puts me on hold for a couple of minutes to check. Comes back "as a goodwill gesture we will give you a full refund and sell you a new ticket". Lovely.

Problem - no advance tickets are released for the 12th yet. She initially quotes me £78.90 but realises the issue. Back on hold for a couple more minutes.

Now I'm told "please phone back before 5pm tomorrow and if advance tickets are available we'll give you a full refund and sell you a new ticket. Otherwise, you can phone back later when they are on sale and we will change the ticket subject to a £10 admin fee".

I find it a bit strange that whether I can have the fee waived is dependent on whether the new ticket is available by tomorrow, (at least when I want to change to an earlier date, I'd understand if I was asking to change my ticket to weeks later). Not worth losing sleep over, and I realise it was my mistake and I don't have the right to have the fee waived. It just seems a bit off to me.

Here's hoping advances for the 12th show up tomorrow :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The general principle is that the £10 admin fee applies, but is waived if the error is realised rapidly and the ticket is re-booked immediately. Unfortunately there is a complication in this case.

East Coast would not even give you the option of the admin fee being waived. They would be making you cough up the £10 - guaranteed! (and if anyone disagrees with that, I'd love to know how you manage to get them to apply good customer service and show discretion - please give me your contacts & methods!!!)

headshot119

Established Member
The general principle is that the £10 admin fee applies, but is waived if the error is realised rapidly and the ticket is re-booked immediately. Unfortunately there is a complication in this case.

East Coast would not even give you the option of the admin fee being waived. They would be making you cough up the £10 - guaranteed! (and if anyone disagrees with that, I'd love to know how you manage to get them to apply good customer service and show discretion - please give me your contacts & methods!!!)

East Coast have once waived the admin fee for me. (Ill send you a PM with the details of it later on)

Status
Not open for further replies.