• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF or RMT (Even Both)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick82

Maybe a little premature, but i am currently a member of the RMT with my current role. I am awaiting a date to start my driver training but I am wondering is there a better union of the two for a qualified driver (or trainee). Do I stick with the RMT or is it considered a better option to join ASLEF.

Also can you join ASLEF whilst training or only when you have passed a certain point in your training.

Apologies if my thread is some what a silly question, just considering my options.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
Maybe a little premature, but i am currently a member of the RMT with my current role. I am awaiting a date to start my driver training but I am wondering is there a better union of the two for a qualified driver (or trainee). Do I stick with the RMT or is it considered a better option to join ASLEF.

Also can you join ASLEF whilst training or only when you have passed a certain point in your training.

Apologies if my thread is some what a silly question, just considering my options.

Many thanks in advance.

I used to be RMT as a guard. Now I'm a driver I'm with ASLEF.

During my training an ASLEF REP came along to speak to us and you could sign up then and there.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Would be very surprised if your local Aslef reps didn't 'pounce' on you so to speak during your rules at some point and give you an Aslef application. It has to go through your local branch and your application voted on (I've only ever known of 1 to be rejected and there was history behind that) but no reason at all that you cannot apply as a trainee.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
To the OP: ASLEF seem to represent the drivers very well. RMT tend to deal with the technical staff although they do represent drivers.

Would be very surprised if your local Aslef reps didn't 'pounce' on you so to speak during your rules at some point and give you an Aslef application. It has to go through your local branch and your application voted on (I've only ever known of 1 to be rejected and there was history behind that) but no reason at all that you cannot apply as a trainee.

Do you have to be voted in as a member of ASLEF? Our union will have anyone who fills in the form and pays the subs!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I would suggest you go with whatever the union is the one that best represents the depot you are going to be based at.

BestWestern

Established Member
Aslef is by far the better union, in my opinion. Their dealings with both staff and management are infinitely more professional than those of the RMT, and I always get the distinct impression that companies have more respect for them. There is also the fact that if you're in a tiny minority of RMT Drivers and everybody else is Aslef, you're doing yourself out of a vote every time there is a ballot on anything. On the flip side, you'd be able to avoid any industrial action only affecting Aslef members, but I don't honestly imagine you'd want to in most cases.

Forget the ATCU, might as well save your money and go without anything at all.

Lrd

Established Member
I agree with everyone else. Aslef all the way.

Even if they do cost more.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Do you have to join a Union ?

Not any more - but up t the indvidual.

I kept my TSSA membership right tothe end (only used them twice - and he were excellent) - when I fianlly retired ,they gave me a very nice letter and a modest loyalty bonus.

455driver

Veteran Member
No but if you dont and you err and are invited in 'for a chat' you will wish that you had.

If you are lucky it will be the most expensive diary you ever buy, if you are unlucky it will be the best money you ever spent.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As I'm sure you are aware (being a current member), RMT represent all grades including drivers, whereas ASLEF only represent drivers.

It must depend on the company as Aslef on the Underground has a Managers branch and also have members in Service Control grades.

crehld

Established Member
Stupid question time - why are unions representing railway workers (and I guess other industries) fragmented? In many other industries there is a single union representing all workers in that industry. Would it not make sense for the RMT and ASLEF to pool resources and join forces? Strength in unity and all that...

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Because some people are not happy about the way some unions work, think they cost too much or dont like the reps and so join a different union.

BestWestern

Established Member
Stupid question time - why are unions representing railway workers (and I guess other industries) fragmented? In many other industries there is a single union representing all workers in that industry. Would it not make sense for the RMT and ASLEF to pool resources and join forces? Strength in unity and all that...

Yes, it would make a lot of sense! However, different unions have different approaches, and in addition the RMT also represent maritime workers, bus and transport drivers, cleaning and auxiliary staff and just about anybody else they can persuade to join! :D I don't imagine that degree of diversity appeals much to Aslef.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Not at all - however there are practical benefits if you find yourself in the brown stuff.

Not any more - but up t the indvidual.

I kept my TSSA membership right tothe end (only used them twice - and he were excellent) - when I fianlly retired ,they gave me a very nice letter and a modest loyalty bonus.

you could have remained a retired member if you wanted your diary ;)

God - don't go there! That road leads to internecine warfare. It is more to do with the history of the various unions and their constituencies:

ASLEF: Drivers and Firemen
TSSA: Salaried staff aka "White" collar workers
RMT: General railway/technical staff aka: "Blue" collar workers
UNITE: not sure but there are members in the railway industry

There have been periodic attempts to merge which have usually ended in unpleasantness and recrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.