• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessment Day Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

I have an impending assessment day, for Northern, at Doncaster. I have a good idea of the expected questions for the CBI from various posts here in the forum. I am struggling, big time, for strong 'examples of a time when'. Anyways, there were a few on my application form that I was considering using. Question is; is there any disadvantage in using examples already used on the form? Will they even have access to my application form given that this Schenker, not Northern themselves, I imagine it is sort of like an external test and they just submit scores back to Northern based on their own questions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
I have an impending assessment day, for Northern, at Doncaster. I have a good idea of the expected questions for the CBI from various posts here in the forum. I am struggling, big time, for strong 'examples of a time when'. Anyways, there were a few on my application form that I was considering using. Question is; is there any disadvantage in using examples already used on the form? Will they even have access to my application form given that this Schenker, not Northern themselves, I imagine it is sort of like an external test and they just submit scores back to Northern based on their own questions?

As an assessor for recruiting I always referred to the original application form and too many deviation for the original form was a fail.

Stuart-h

Would the assments be the same for all rail operators or are they persific to where the train operator works?

chrisdmadd

I cant confirm 100% but ive just been through what your about to go through with northern and personally i dont think they have access to your application form.

A bit of advice for the day.... They get you to fill out the form... time your self!! You have about 5 mins per question.... keep it brief but to the point. Then after a short while they bring you back in and ask questions about your responses.

No matter how much detail you go into in your response i guarentee she will say... 'now tell me some more about X' so i would say keep a bit back for when she says that.

Have specific rules that you can quote for your examples. Its no good saying i follow the rule book we use at work its called x2323x. She will 100% ask to which specific rules you follow. Then when you quote a rule she will ask you to go into more detail.

I hope this doesnt scare you, im just trying to prepare you.

Really knuckle down on this part of the assessment. PM me if you want more info.

chrisdmadd

The assessments are the same for all uk train drivers. (and Depot Drivers)

Nothing to worry about if you put the time in to prepare fully.

You can get the exact questions youll be asked on here.... the hard bit it making sure you answer them with the right kind of experiences.... and i guess you can only do this if you truely have the experiences they are looking for.

Last edited:

Stuart-h

Are the questions in any forums at all or are they locked away out of public sight at all?

daddy_badger

give an example of a training course that lasted more than 2 weeks, where you have had to deal with an emergency situation, where to have spent a long time alone, where you had to concentrate for long periods. are a few that may be asked.

JCLeeds

As an assessor for recruiting I always referred to the original application form and too many deviation for the original form was a fail.

Thanks TDK, good knowledge; I am struggling on the 'time when you dealt with an emergency' question - havent dealt with many true emergencies either in work or elsewhere - I was going to use the example which on my application form, was what I used as 'time when I worked on my own' - which I did on my own and also was something of an emergency. Would you say this is a bad idea? Also - did you mention once before you work for Northern?

TDK

Established Member
Thanks TDK, good knowledge; I am struggling on the 'time when you dealt with an emergency' question - havent dealt with many true emergencies either in work or elsewhere - I was going to use the example which on my application form, was what I used as 'time when I worked on my own' - which I did on my own and also was something of an emergency. Would you say this is a bad idea? Also - did you mention once before you work for Northern?

An emergency is an emergency - matter of life or death. For example maybe if you have had to call the emergency services for say a fire/car accident/someone falling ill, this is what they are looking for - not what someone told me once when they had a stock take and was worried that they had forgotton something! This is not an emergency ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.