• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessment Travel Reimbursement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgb

Afternoon everyone,

Don't mean to be a tight git with this question but here goes.. :oops: I've got my assessments coming up which are split over 2 days in 2 different towns/cities. The problem is that the 2 Assessment Locations from my home are a combined 270 mile round trip! The cost for the 2 train tickets / coach comes to nearly £60 at the cheapest! ..of course I know I need to pass the 1st day first but ...

My question is: is it likely I may be reimbursed for reasonable travel expenses, perhaps the 200 mile round trip part? There is nothing about travel costs in the email or preparation materials?

I would love this job but the costs just for applying are beginning to stack up with such a short chance of success. :( I know that the pass rate is only around 15% so while I am staying positive and preparing this is still a slim chance I'll be successful. I plan to still to see it through even at my own expense but this is now becoming a financial investment and not just a time one. :|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth43

60 quid is not really an investment is it, generally what ever job one goes for one has to pay to get there and back, so it should not be an issue.

What TOC are you going to, some offer a free travel pass to get you to the assessment centres?

jonb

Established Member
I remember a few years ago I went for a position with NXEA and in the letter it stated that I could use it to get to the assessment centre by using their services for free.

Like yourself I have a few coming up next week and have had no offer of reimbursement for travel. I think during a period where a lot of people are looking for work, employers feel they don't have to sub costs for candidates to come to them.

However you could always raise the question, the worst case scenario is they won't offer anything but you never know.

tomgb

60 quid is not really an investment is it, generally what ever job one goes for one has to pay to get there and back, so it should not be an issue.

Have to disagree. The station I applied for is 1 mile away. The assessment centre is not were I would be working everyday so I miss your point.

If I was unemployed or a single parent than £60 is a hell of a lot of money, its a weeks worth of food in the cupboard. :| I am still willing to pay myself but I definately see this as an investment. Maybe will call the TOC later this week and ask?

Nym

Established Member
You know something, why don't you email the HR manager at the company you have applied for and ask them if there is any assistance available...?

tomgb

I think during a period where a lot of people are looking for work, employers feel they don't have to sub costs for candidates to come to them.

Yes, this is what I was thinking. The competition is so fierce for Rail Jobs with thousands applying that they probably don't need to worry about this. :|

You know something, why don't you email the HR manager at the company you have applied for and ask them if there is any assistance available...?

Thanks, think I may contact them. Its just a little embarrassing to ask for handouts when one hasn't even got the job haha but I guess £60 is not lose change so its worth asking. :oops:

Gareth43

Have to disagree.
Really, ok my point is when applying for a job regardless of where it is you need to be able to get yourself to the interview and normally at your own cost,
I have been to a interview where I have had to go to a company's head office 200 miles away, the round trip totalled 400 miles and all this was at my cost the actual job was based just 5 min away from where I lived, so it was a huge cost to me as I had not long been made redundant and faced having my home repossessed, therefore I was effing skint, so what I am saying is most companies do not care for your current financial circumstances and if potential new candidates wish to attend an interview so be it at there own cost.

However like I also said MOST TOC's do offer free or subsidised travel to and from assessment centres
I had one assessment with FCC 3 years ago where they did give me free travel, but also I had another assessment last year for the same company and they did not give free travel, so just ring them and ask would be my advise.

tomgb

Really, ok my point is when applying for a job regardless of where it is you need to be able to get yourself to the interview and normally at your own cost,
I have been to a interview where I have had to go to a company's head office 200 miles away, the round trip totalled 400 miles and all this was at my cost the actual job was based just 5 min away from where I lived, so it was a huge cost to me as I had not long been made redundant and faced having my home repossessed, therefore I was effing skint, so what I am saying is most companies do not care for your current financial circumstances and if potential new candidates wish to attend an interview so be it at there own cost.

However like I also said MOST TOC's do offer free or subsidised travel to and from assessment centres
I had one assessment with FCC 3 years ago where they did give me free travel, but also I had another assessment last year for the same company and they did not give free travel, so just ring them and ask would be my advise.

I Disagreed because you said it wasn't a financial investment. But it is.

Its a financial investment in yourself as you clearly had to do in your above example when you were made redundant. At that point you could have said no, I can't afford to spend money going all that way but you decided it would be worth it. You invested in yourself and the opportunity rather than withdraw your application and save the money. To be fair, no where on the Application form or website does it say part of the process is a 250 mile round trip at the expense of the applicant. So any poor / unemployed person applying thinking it will all take place in their local station may not be able to go unless they can get reimbursed. Which could mean a better candidate (but financially poorer) can't get through.

Again, this is all speculation. I'm willing to pay myself but will call them this week to see if there is any free passes available. Considering most applicants will be using their own trains its not too much to ask I guess :D

Gareth43

Ok lets agree to disagree, the joys of open debate;)
What TOC are you applying to? and does there line run from where you are located to the city their assessment centre is located, if it does then it should not really be a problem for them to offer you a travel pass.

Ps, best of luck to you.

tomgb

Ok lets agree to disagree, the joys of open debate;)
What TOC are you applying to? and does there line run from where you are located to the city their assessment centre is located, if it does then it should not really be a problem for them to offer you a travel pass.

Ps, best of luck to you.

Thanks I'm gonna need all the luck I can get :D

...and yep their trains do service all 3 towns/cities, I'm thinking perhaps paying myself for the first day and then seeing if anything is offered should I be successful. Good luck to everyone else - this sure has to be one of the most difficult careers in the world to get in to :shock::o

Gareth43

Thanks I'm gonna need all the luck I can get :D

... this sure has to be one of the most difficult careers in the world to get in to :shock::o

Now that I do agree with completely it is extremely difficult to get into,
I have been trying for the past 3 years since I was made redundant the first few jobs I applied for were completly stitched up and although I did very well at the assessments I was told that they were pulling the job vacancy, I later found out from my brother who works for the same Toc that the job was marked up for someone within the company, even though it was an external only vacancy.
Imagine how P**sed I was.

tomgb

Now that I do agree with completely it is extremely difficult to get into,
I have been trying for the past 3 years since I was made redundant the first few jobs I applied for were completly stitched up and although I did very well at the assessments I was told that they were pulling the job vacancy, I later found out from my brother who works for the same Toc that the job was marked up for someone within the company, even though it was an external only vacancy.
Imagine how P**sed I was.

This is my biggest concern. That even by some miracle if I can get through these assessments and structured interview that there may not even be a job at the end of it. That's why expenses bother me a little.

I've learned of horror stories on these forums of "holding pots" or 6 -9 month waiting times for training start dates only for people to not be included in the next batch etc. Someone else who waited a year after passing and still no job. Imagine telling your friends/family you have passed to become a train driver, and then 12 months later you tell them your still waiting to start! :lol: The funniest thing is I don't even think that the TOC fully understand how much and emotional and drawn out experience it is. Each part of the process is conducted by a different member of staff. Then gets passed over to someone else for the next bit etc until the end. And then its fingers crossed time...

This has been the most difficult job process I have been through and will be my last with the Rail. If I don't pass the assessments I won't apply again. As much as I want this job I can't put myself and family through this again in 6 months. I'm seeing GB dots in my sleep haha :lol:

Clip

Established Member
If I was unemployed or a single parent than £60 is a hell of a lot of money, its a weeks worth of food in the cupboard. :| I am still willing to pay myself but I definately see this as an investment. Maybe will call the TOC later this week and ask?

But you are not so it is a false argument to bring into the equation. However the job centre would most likely supply a travel warrant if you were unemployed so that doesnt make your statement hold much water either.

But anyway I wish you all the best with yoru assesments and hopefully interviews and that you get the role you are going for. The reason its hard to get into is because theres a lot of people going for jobs on the railway - even more so if its a drivers role you are going for so they are only going to pick the cream of the crop.

Though I do find it strange they have not provided you with a letter to travel on their services - whoever they may be.

tomgb

But you are not so it is a false argument to bring into the equation.

How do you know I'm not? :lol: ..but even so £60 is a fair bit of money to fork out in this climate, especially when people also have to lose 2 days worth of pay or use holidays in their current job to actually go to the mid-week assessments...

But anyway I wish you all the best with yoru assesments and hopefully interviews and that you get the role you are going for. The reason its hard to get into is because theres a lot of people going for jobs on the railway - even more so if its a drivers role you are going for so they are only going to pick the cream of the crop.

Though I do find it strange they have not provided you with a letter to travel on their services - whoever they may be.

Thanks for the best wishes i'll need them ;) ...yep I was suprised that no letter to use as free transport (just an email) but oh well, perhaps we will be offered something should we hopefully get through to the 2nd day! Anyway need to concentrate all my energy and focus on these dots and test material :(

Gareth43

I see you mention that you had an email, when you receive everything they post to you prior to assessments you should have a travel pass within your package.

Established Member
There was a day when train companies used to offer travel tickets to the interview. Three companies I know of advertise jobs in towns far from the assessment centre and expect candidates (often up to 20 per assessment) to pay for their own travel.

Northern Rail use York for Leeds/Huddersfield jobs, a £12-£15 return.
Virgin have previously used Crewe for Manchester jobs, a £14 return.
London Midland use Birmingham for Crewe jobs, a £35 return.

Bit unfair in my opinion.

Clip

Established Member
How do you know I'm not? :lol: ..but even so £60 is a fair bit of money to fork out in this climate, especially when people also have to lose 2 days worth of pay or use holidays in their current job to actually go to the mid-week assessments...

:(

Because you started your sentence with 'If I was unemployed' if you were unemployed then you would state it as such.

So you would prefer the company to do weekend assessments? because you have to take 2 days off? Thats the real life and is generally the case for every job i have ever been for - not just on the railway. People work through the week - that includes HR people.

whhistle

On Moderation
I personally wouldn't ask at all. You are potentially showing yourself to be a cheapo.

It's a cost you have to find yourself.

However every TOC I have dealt with has provided a travel pass to allow me on their train services to where I need to be. The point about the location you would work at is a non-argument. Take Virgin Trains for instance. Their "Talent Centre" is in Crewe. But if you were applying for Glasgow or London, you would have no choice but to travel, although it would be free.
However if I lived in Derby and applied for an East Coast position where I had to travel to York, then I shouldn't expect East Coast to invest money in me when I may not even pass the first set of tests.

I also note you have ignored the question of what position you are applying for.

W230

Established Member
I've taken three trips to London for the railway post i'm applying for. That's three round trips of 320 miles a time. I've taken three days holiday to attend the assessments and have had to stay overnight each time (although that was at no cost with family members). But if i'm successful it'll all have been worth it!

I appreciate the situtation you're in but ultimately you'll probably be up against alot of competition who are all in the same boat. It'll come down to how much you want the job at the end of the day! :D

reapz

when your on the phone ask them if they can come to your house to do the tests.

This will go down as well as asking for travel costs . if u get a rail warrent great , if not then tuff either pay up or dont go.

TDK

Established Member
This is my biggest concern. That's why expenses bother me a little.

If it bothers you don't go, there are plenty of others willing to pay £60 to go without whining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.