• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assistant Train Managers apprentiship Scheme

What should Ido

• Go for a NVQ L3 in signalling systems with Network Rail

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Wait a year and go for a 5yr apprentiship with GBRf

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • See if I can get into the BTP at 18

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Go for the armed services

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Do what the heck you like, my life is bad enough

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

Some of those of the grand old age of 18 or greater might be intrested in this
http://www.gbrailfreight.com/gb-railfreight-train-manager-apprenticeship-scheme/p_30/

Unfotunatly i'm too young for this :cry: but I'm planning on applying next year. One thing I have noticed is that in the third year you have to get 225 hrs driving experiance. Does that mean they don't just train you to be an assistant train manager (shunter) but they train you up to be a fully qualified train driver as well.

The reason I ask this is I have got past the application selection for Network Rails apprentiship scheme and I'm currently not very happy at the college I go to.I REALLY want to be a driver but NR are giving me a reason to quit college this year (in stead of next year). But if i do go for NR my chances of becoming a train driver are reduced due to the diffrences between the operational and engineering side of the railways. Something tells me I have alot of sole searching to do.

I might not follow the poll it's just most of my friends tell me to ask a girl I like if she's intrested, If not, go for NR. This is too unreliable for me.

Just to make it a bit more complicated, if I go for GBRf, BTP of the armed forces it will mean staying at college

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"See if I can get into the BTP at 18"

I have a mate who is a Community Support Officer within the BTP and you might like to do this job (it's only 4-6 weeks training and you can do it from 18.) It's way easier to get into and will help you decide if you want to carry on and join the "regulars."

Add me to Messenger & I'll get you in touch with him :)

Andy

Is 18 the youngers age to work on the railway/station or is there a lounger age that that.

Met Driver

Established Member
andy said:
Is 18 the youngers age to work on the railway/station or is there a lounger age that that.
It believe it is possible to get employment on the mainline railway from the age of 16 in some cases (station work). The London Underground Apprenticeship Scheme is also available to 16 & 17 year olds and could lead to a job as a Train Operator at the age of 18.

nutter

andy said:

I looked into this when I was 16 at school (all those many moons ago) and the rules say you can do 'light' station duties at 16 although MOST TOC's only employ 18+ because under 18's are harder to insure in the railway enviroment. You are not allowed near NR tracks until you are 18. Best bet is to go for the LU if you are in the area or go into retail until your 18 so you prove you are trustworthy and can handle money.

nutter said:
I looked into this when I was 16 at school (all those many moons ago) and the rules say you can do 'light' station duties at 16 although MOST TOC's only employ 18+ because under 18's are harder to insure in the railway enviroment. You are not allowed near NR tracks until you are 18. Best bet is to go for the LU if you are in the area or go into retail until your 18 so you prove you are trustworthy and can handle money.

Some Retail places wont take you on if you are under 18. Sometimes its a bit of a catch 22. My case was that i didnt know what to do, so i did a year of A levels and went and worked in a Kitchen for a year. I then went on to GNER with what skills I had gained from working in the kitchen. IE Stock rotation, Stock control. Food and Hygene etc. This put me into a good postion for the catering side of the railway.

Once your into the railway keep your head down and get on with it. Anything you do always make sure you can justify it and no one will bother you. That way you can move up your career ladder whether that be Guard onto driver or into management! and watch the money come in.

Sprog

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
Some Retail places wont take you on if you are under 18. Sometimes its a bit of a catch 22. My case was that i didnt know what to do, so i did a year of A levels and went and worked in a Kitchen for a year. I then went on to GNER with what skills I had gained from working in the kitchen. IE Stock rotation, Stock control. Food and Hygene etc. This put me into a good postion for the catering side of the railway.

Once your into the railway keep your head down and get on with it. Anything you do always make sure you can justify it and no one will bother you. That way you can move up your career ladder whether that be Guard onto driver or into management! and watch the money come in.

*cough* Trolley Dolly *cough* ;)

andel

When he left school he said he wanted to travel and meet new people but was that what he had in mind?

Tea or coffee?

AlexS

Established Member
At least Shane is off his arse contributing to the country and the place he lives instead of some lazy twats of young people who sit around doing nothing claiming their dole money!

A job is a job - at least Shane's not a moneysucking leech on the people around him.

Sprog

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
No need for that Tom

ha, ha, ha.........:roll:

OK then...ill STFU if u stop threatening to 'kill me' or whatever the hell you told me youd do on MSN and on my fotopic site. (Sorry Seth, last time i promise ;) )

Also, i hope you aint reffering to me with:

A job is a job - at least Shane's not a moneysucking leech on the people around him.

I work, i pay my way, i have respect....just not for people who threaten violance against me.............:rolleyes:

AlexS

Established Member
Referring generally to your average chav dolies - don't take the proverbial toilet water out of people with any kind of job.

And a final warning here as a mod too, if you don't leave your private issue off the forum you'll be staying off with it.

Andy

AlexS said:
And a final warning here as a mod too, if you don't leave your private issue off the forum you'll be staying off with it.

Dose this mean that you will kick us off then if we start private issue.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well said. I have to agree (shocking! I agree with someone!) with BPC on this, it is a way into the industry, one that doesn't get any respect or anything with it. Trust me, if you're working in catering, you do get treated with no respect (until they need you to cover for the other lazy sods) from any boss or co-workers. This I know from experience in catering.

In my honest opinion, anyone who works in catering deserves respect. Why? It's a very demeaning job to be doing, especially when you get the bad customers. Even in food preparation (kitchen work I'm thinking of here), you have to be ultra cool and calm with customers. On-train catering requires you to have a high level of patience with every customer, brilliant knowledge without reference to the cost of items on the trolley or buffet and much more. It takes the right sort of person to do this, it's not a job for just anyone. Especially on late trains...

What's my point? Joking about catering staff I can't stand for. I won't stand for it either. As I've said above, it's not an easy job. I have nothing but respect for those involved in any form of catering.

Final point is that it is still a way into the rail industry, which I'm tempted to take up. I've got some e-mailing to do it seems...

Sprog

Established Member
Ahh, whatever..

I have my sights set on my career. its realistic and within reach of me and all........not some pie-in-the-sky dream, fantasty or happy ending. We cant all be traindrivers............. :roll: I feel i deserve it, and i am willing to help people to a certain extent - people i can trust and who i know wont screw me over at the earliest oppertunity :mad: But but when it comes to job hunting, you look after number one. Ruthlessness and personal dealings are the key to sucess aswell as a sheet of Qualifications and a sharp suite.......

SPM, here i come!...............................:hello1:

spm_43030 said:
ha, ha, ha.........:roll:

OK then...ill STFU if u stop threatening to 'kill me' or whatever the hell you told me youd do on MSN and on my fotopic site. (Sorry Seth, last time i promise ;) )

Also, i hope you aint reffering to me with:

I work, i pay my way, i have respect....just not for people who threaten violance against me.............:rolleyes:

I left the whole thing a day after it all happened . It seems to me you keep having the digs at me. I no longer care what you do or what you think. You have mearly shown how unresponsible person you are. Your behaviour seems very childish. If you have a problem with me, you know where i am. There is a PM function on this site as well as an email facility and MSN messenger.

And by the way i did not leave comments on your fotopic site.

David

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
Ahh, whatever..

I have my sights set on my career. its realistic and within reach of me and all........not some pie-in-the-sky dream, fantasty or happy ending. We cant all be traindrivers............. :roll: I feel i deserve it, and i am willing to help people to a certain extent - people i can trust and who i know wont screw me over at the earliest oppertunity

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but whether you feel you deserve a job or not is beside the point. I feel that I deserve some jobs, but I know I'll never get them. Call it defeatist, call it whatever you want, I call it realism.

Also, you say you will help people to a certain extent. If you are in a job where customer service is a must, then failing to help some customers will quickly see you getting your P45.

Bonnie Prince Charlie has come up with a valid point when it comes to work....

Bonnie Price Charlie said:
Once your into the railway keep your head down and get on with it. Anything you do always make sure you can justify it and no one will bother you. That way you can move up your career ladder whether that be Guard onto driver or into management!

No matter if it's working on the railways, or doing something completely different, that is the best advice anyone could follow.

Just as a follow up, if I had to employ either BPC or SPM_43030 from what I have read on this forum, I know who it would be BPC.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm not taking sides as such on that final matter there, but I do think that BPC would get my vote if I were in the position to employ one or the other. The world of recruitment and business means that you wouldn't have time to choose friends, you have to choose the candidate who's best suited to the job from the evidence you get from the interview, application form, references and CV.

I agree with BPC and David (if that's not your first name, I apologise) though about keeping your head down and getting on with the job, as well as ensuring anything you do has a valid reason and all that. Excellent advice, I couldn't say anything better than that. Although there are times when that rule can be broken in my opinion, although to say when these times are would be diverting from the topic too much.

I may not know BPC, but from just this topic, I know I would personally hope he is serving the refreshments on the GNER services I travel on this Saturday approaching.

Sprog

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but whether you feel you deserve a job or not is beside the point. I feel that I deserve some jobs, but I know I'll never get them. Call it defeatist, call it whatever you want, I call it realism.

Also, you say you will help people to a certain extent. If you are in a job where customer service is a must, then failing to help some customers will quickly see you getting your P45.

No, sorry HP, you misunderstand me bud.

Im not talking about punters, im talking about others looking for employment etc. Ive been in many-a-situation where i have a freind or aquintance who ive put myself out to help find a job or get something, only to have it shoved back in my face when they are sucessful. ie, ive done all the donkey work and they reap the benfits.

Currently, i work in the Bristol branch of Matalans (a Nation-Wide chain of stores that sell clothes/shoes/homeware etc for those of you who are asking what it is). My role is GSA - General Sales Assistant -. I work on the tills, i work with stock - unpack, organise and display - i keep the shop floor tidy, re-organise stock thats been left behind the counter or in the fitting rooms ['rejects'], or dumped around the store as some peope have a bad habbit of doing :roll:.

Its a very varied line of work that, TBH, i have trouble getting bored with. So unless im in the stock rooms, i am constantly working one-to-one with the general puiblic, so in my job people skills are essential. I have to deal with kids, adults, the elderly and the disabled,. Some punters are freindly, some are rude, abusive and even violant - BUT i treat them all the same. I keep my temper and just ignore it. Ive even been commended by my manager a few times for how i deal with 'rude' customers. So i dont need to be lectured on customer awareness. I am very cabable of that thank you very much. ;)

As for my comment on BPC, fine, i suppose it was out of order - and to all you who i offended soo much, i apologise.

I knew id probably get flamed for it, but what the hell. I didnt see you lot rallying to support me when i was being blatently insulted by him. But thats in the past, so......Im not willing to call a permenant truce with BPC as things have gone too far, BUT i will no longer bring up 'off-forum' occurances here (even though this is where it all started :rolleyes:)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I never had the chance to defend you when he started on you, but that's in the past. As I've already said, I'm ex-catering staff, will probably end up back in it, hence I know what it's like. When I read your post it really did read like you were taking the mick just for him being in catering. This, obviously, I won't stand for, hence my previous postings on this thread.

I'm aware myself you work in Matalan, a job which I can't imagine myself working in. To say would start a bit of flaming I reckon, so I'll stay quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.