• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Astley Level Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senex

Established Member
Three years ago Joseph Locke wrote in a thread about Astley: "The permissible speed over it is shortly to be raised to 75mph (90 elsewhere on the Chat Moss route), ...."

It looks as though the speed over the crossing remains at only 60, even though the rest of the Chat Moss section has indeed gone to 75 and the rest of the route to 90. Does anyone know why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ships

We had a renewal over astley level crossing, this was canceled so that could be the cause! My manager also told me about where they had raise the line speed (in theory) on a chat moss renewal but due to ground conditions the line speed went straight back to where it had been before.

Last edited:

55z

A temporary speed restriction applied over Chat Moss for a number of months but the line speed has now been raised to 75 mph. The 60 mph limit apples in both directions approaching and over the crossing but not much beyond. Relaying might be the problem or it could be signalling issues with regard to braking distances, but no idea really.

Loop & Link

It's 60mph over Astley crossing raising shortly after to 75mph on the Up, and on the down raises to 75mph then to 90mph. It's 90 on the Up from Broad Green (LE296) to just before Astley where it goes to 75 then 60.

Senex

Established Member
It's 60mph over Astley crossing raising shortly after to 75mph on the Up, and on the down raises to 75mph then to 90mph. It's 90 on the Up from Broad Green (LE296) to just before Astley where it goes to 75 then 60.

Thanks - that's what I thought. So the claim that it was going to go to 75 has not been delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.