• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Athens and other sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Going to Athens later this year, and looking for any hints and tips. Flying out, then coming back after 8 nights. I see there is a 7-day ticket available on the local train and bus. Anyone know how far out this will take us?
Also wanting to get to Edpidaurus and Mycenae. I know there are some trains down that way, but can't seem to find any details. Or is the bus, or even a coach tour, the best way? And we would like to get to Delphi, but that seems to take most of a day to get there.
So, any wise words out there? (60 year old with 57 year old wife, so nothing too rough!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QJ

Epidaurus and Mycenae

Best done by coach tour if you don't want the hassle of trying to get there by public transport. Otherwise it would be bus from Athens or Korinthos (note the new standard gauge station is some way out to the south of the town). The narrow gauge Pelopponese Railways has ceased operating apart from a couple of short stretches in the west of the island. Timetables for the bus companies can be found on the internet. Be careful when looking up train times for Hellenic state Railways. They are not always accurate. There was a through train from Larissa station to Korinthos showing on the timetable and the station departure boards at 0807 or thereabouts. However, in reality this was a ghost train not scheduled to run and it was necessary to catch an earlier train to an interchange station a few stops down the line and switch to another to make the journey.

I believe cruise ship tourists hire taxis for the day from Nafplio to visit these sites or you could hire a car to get you from Athens if you are feeling brave.

PTG advertised a tour by train and coach to these sites and others in the area but it is already full. It may give you some ideas for your own itinerary though.

Last edited:

Stan63

Going to Athens later this year, and looking for any hints and tips. Flying out, then coming back after 8 nights. I see there is a 7-day ticket available on the local train and bus. Anyone know how far out this will take us?
Also wanting to get to Edpidaurus and Mycenae. I know there are some trains down that way, but can't seem to find any details. Or is the bus, or even a coach tour, the best way? And we would like to get to Delphi, but that seems to take most of a day to get there.
So, any wise words out there? (60 year old with 57 year old wife, so nothing too rough!)

The 7 day ticket is just for getting around Athens and the suburbs (Except the airport route) on bus, train, tram or trolleybuses. Great for exploring the city itself but no use for going further afield. The trains are not reliable although they have improved in recent years.
The main problem using public transport would be overcrowding and getting from the railway station to your final destination. I would definitely recommend a coach tour as they are well organised, air conditioned (usually) and will take you to the places you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.