• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Atherstone to Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Hi all,

Could I request some train times and ticket/fare details for the following, please?

Outward journey:
Atherstone to Carlisle on Friday, 21st July or Saturday, 22nd July.
Saturday departure would be to arrive in Carlisle around 1000.
Possible overnight break in journey (if allowed) if departing on Friday.

Return journey:
Carlisle to Atherstone on Saturday, 22nd July, departing Carlisle around 1600.
Carlisle to Atherstone on Sunday, 23rd July, departing Carlisle late morning.

For parts of journey with VTWC looking for first class and standard class ticket options, please.

I am unsure whether or not to travel to Carlisle and back the same day. I have not travelled this route before and I think it might be a bit too far for a day trip!

So I am considering breaking the journey at least on the way up, possibly on the way back, with stops overnight on Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday, if that makes sense.

Another concern is buying tickets in advance - due to health reasons there is a small chance that I might need to change my plans at the last minute. Is it possible to obtain refunds on advance tickets that are not used for travel?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Currently you can do Atherstone-Carlisle on Saturday 22nd for £42.50 departing Atherstone at 6:22, arriving Carlisle at 9:47, changing at Crewe on an advance, off peak return is £85.10. Weekend first is £25 in both directions on Virgin

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another concern is buying tickets in advance - due to health reasons there is a small chance that I might need to change my plans at the last minute. Is it possible to obtain refunds on advance tickets that are not used for travel?
The safest thing to do is use walk-up fares.

If you wish to break your outward journey, you may need a combination of fares.

In contrast, the return portion of an Off Peak Return would be valid for a month so you could break your journey as many times as you like within the validity period.

If you do go for Advance fares, these are non-refundable.

Most companies charge £10 to change them (there are some exceptions, such as XC allowing free changes to XC Advance fares if booked directly on the XC website), and most companies charge £10 per ticket. Trainsplit.com and Trainscanbecheaper.info charge £10 per transaction (regardless of the number of tickets). In addition to any admin fees, you would need to pay the difference (if any) between the price paid and the new price at the time of re-booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.