• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Atherstone to Tamworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Hi,

We've recently had two or three journeys from Atherstone to Tamworth (day return) but I have some questions regarding the fares available.

Each time we've bought our tickets from the Fast Ticket machine at Atherstone and the first couple of times I have managed to purchase an Off-Peak Day Return for £3.70.

But today I could not find this fare - I was in a bit of a hurry and had several attempts but I was unable to find the £3.70 fare.

Initially, I was only being offered a "Standard Anytime Day Return" for £4.20. Normally I prefer "anytime" fares when possible as I don't have to worry about restrictions, but I decided to try to look for the off-peak fare.

My first question is the machine asked me if I wanted "any route permitted" or "via Tamworth".

Firstly, which routes would be available with "any route permitted" and secondly, the bit that confused me was the "via Tamworth", surely Tamworth is the destination?

The off-peak "via Tamworth" fare being offered was £6.00 and the Anytime via Tamworth was £8.80.

Finally, am I correct in thinking the only restriction with off-peak fare is that the outbound journey cannot commence before 0900?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The restriction on the Off peak day return is B3, so yes that means valid on any train except those timed to depart before 09.00. I can see the two types of ticket, with the via Tamworth one being more expensive. In short, unless there is a good reason, it must be some mistake.

SS4

Established Member
I don't understand why there is a via Tamworth unless it forms part of a fare cluster. I could understand if via Tamworth was cheaper than Any Permitted because then it could basically be a not Birmingham ticket.

Finally, am I correct in thinking the only restriction with off-peak fare is that the outbound journey cannot commence before 0900?

Yes

island

Veteran Member
Seems like an error fare based on the way fares are defined by clusters.

The off-peak day return from Atherstone Warks to Tamworth is valid from 0900 onwards, as you say. I don't suppose you were looking for it before then?

sonic2009

Established Member
I've been to Atherstone a few times in the past couple of weeks, and I've notified London Midland of problems with the TVM, especially when it rains at the touch screen doesn't work correctly.

I don't understand why there is a via Tamworth unless it forms part of a fare cluster.

Flow Origin Q378
Cluster :
  • 1056 WILNECOTE STAFFS
  • 1177 LICHFIELD CITY
  • 1291 LICHFIELD T V
  • 1078 POLESWORTH
  • 1178 SHENSTONE
  • 1322 TAMWORTH

Flow Destination Q457
Cluster :
  • 1074 ATHERSTONE WARKS
  • 1077 NUNEATON.

It does appear that a VIA TAMWORTH fare applies for such journeys shown above in the cluster.

For example :

Wilnecote - Nuneaton via Tamworth
Wilnecote - Lichfield TV via Tamworth
Polesworth - Nuneaton via Tamworth

and so on.

sn1975

Many thanks for the replies. Just so long as it's not just me being stupid and missing something obvious :rolleyes:

Just out if interest, if the "any route permitted" ticket is valid, which route/s would be available? The only non-direct route I can think of is ATH-NUN-BHM-TAM, which my my rough estimates would take almost an hour at least, compared to the direct route of around 7 minutes?

At the moment, we are travelling after 0900 but that might change in the future.

With regards to Atherstone station, how long has there been a complete lack of customer facilities there? Never had any real problems physically using the TVM, just understanding the tickets - I guess I have been lucky.

The main problem I have with Atherstone is hearing the announcements - especially if a Pendolino just happens to be flying through at the same time :rolleyes:

Established Member
Note there is a subtle difference between 'Any route permitted' and 'Any Permitted' route - this often confuses people.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Normally I prefer "anytime" fares when possible as I don't have to worry about restrictions, but I decided to try to look for the off-peak fare.
That could be extremely expensive on some journeys.

If you genuinely do not know what the restrictions are, then all that will happen when you present a (Super) Off Peak (Day) ticket at an invalid time is that you would be excessed to the appropriate ticket that is valid.

The restrictions can be found on the National Rail Enquiries website, but I find the process quite tedious, so I'd suggest using brfares.com to look up the restrictions.

SS4

Established Member
Just out if interest, if the "any permitted" ticket is valid, which route/s would be available? The only non-direct route I can think of is ATH-NUN-BHM-TAM, which my my rough estimates would take almost an hour at least, compared to the direct route of around 7 minutes?

It's Any Permitted (not to be confused with Any Route Permitted). In this case Atherstone is part of Nuneaton (not relevant in this case) and Tamworth whereas Tamworth is it's own routeing point (RP)
Since there is a common RP only direct trains and the shortest route (+3 miles) are permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.