• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATOC privs and protected staff travel update

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkyadrian

Important update for all staff

Certain TOCs and staff are under the impression that users of leisure staff travel, whether priv or free, are not entitled to onward travel via road transport or overnight accommodation. I have contacted ATOC and Pensions Management over this and sought a reply via email. I will shortly be receiving and official letter from ATOC. I have today, talked with Adrian Larkin. TOCs are going to be informed and amendments, to already printed stuff, are in the pipeline.
The email:

Dear Mr ****

Thank you for your e-mail. I passed this query back to the policy department at Rail Staff Travel. Please find below their response.

"When staff using their travel concessions are subject to train delays and service disruptions they should be dealt with no less favourably than the public insofar as the provision of alternative transport, overnight accommodation or compensation (based on actual fare paid if appropriate) is concerned".

In other words the staff travel facilities holder should not be "out of pocket"

I will ask Virgin Trains to remind their staff of the above.

Regards

Adrian Larkin
Senior Scheme Manager
Rail Staff Travel Limited

Tel: 020 7841 8137

Kind regards
Lisa

Lisa Slasor
Senior Travel Administrator

RPMI
T: 01325 342805 E:
http://www.rpmi.co.uk

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 24 February 2012 15:14
To: [Travel]
Subject: FW: Virgin Trains and other TOC's -Staff Travel

Dear Fiona
I believe this is one for you.

Regards

Salome

Rail Staff Travel
Association of Train Operating Companies RST, PO Box 70159, LONDON, WC1A 9GN
T: 0800 652 1700
F: 020 7841 8273
E:
Please refer to http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-sta ... -issue-use before completing any application forms.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 22 February 2012 21:03
To: rstl
Subject: Virgin Trains and other TOC's -Staff Travel

Dear Staff Travel,
on numerous occasions I have been informed by the train manager/guard that:
my dated protected staff-travel box or privelage ticket does not entitle me to the same onward travel, by bus or taxi, as other passengers, in the event that the train services are replaced.
In other words, I would be stranded!
Last year, I talked to a Network Rail staff travel manager, who then contacted ATOC. The lady at ATOC said that my travel documents do entitle me to the same entitlement as any fare-paying passenger.

Please could you send me a letter which would clarify the situation to any member of rail staff that I may show it to, if I am refused onward travel by them.

Thankyou

Adrian ****
address
Bolton
Lancs

The contents of this email and any associated files are for the addressee only and should be treated as confidential. Unless you are the named addressee you cannot copy, use or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately. The email has originated from the Association of Train Operating Companies (an unincorporated trade association) or one of its corporate entities: ATOC Limited (3069033), Rail Settlement Plan Limited (3069042), Rail Staff Travel Limited (3069020), Train Information Services Ltd (07258491) or NRES Limited (3691898) each of these companies are registered in England and Wales and with a common registered address - 3rd Floor, 40 Bernard Street, London WC1N 1BY. Neither entity listed herein shall be liable for any defamatory statements. Outbound messages are checked for all currently known viruses.

This transmission (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information and should not be reproduced and / or distributed to any other person without our consent or that of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete this message immediately. Emails are susceptible to data corruption, interception, falsification, delay, unauthorised amendment and viruses. We do not accept liability for any such events or any consequences thereof in respect of emails sent or received by us and whilst we have taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that this mail and any attachment has been swept for viruses, we cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. In circumstances where the content of this transmission is important you should not rely on its integrity without verifying it by telephone or facsimile.

RPMI Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Railways Pension Trustee Company Limited.
Railway Pension Investments Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, is a wholly owned subsidiary of RPMI Limited.

If you have received this message in error please notify us by email at

RPMI Limited
Registered Office: Stooperdale Offices, Brinkburn Road, Darlington, DL3 6EH
Registered in England and Wales No. 2315380

Railway Pension Investments Limited
Registered Office: 2nd Floor Camomile Court, 23 Camomile Street, London, EC3A 7LL
Registered in England and Wales No. 1491097

Railways Pension Trustee Company Limited
Registered Office: 2nd Floor Camomile Court, 23 Camomile Street, London, EC3A 7LL
Registered in England and Wales No. 2934539

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lincolnshire

Very interesting that Inkyadrian as i was never too sure about it, when you get your reply from ATOC in print it might be useful to put a link on here to it, so I and others could print it out and keep it with our travel pass cards so that we could show it to who every that we must be treated the same as any other fare paying passenger. Thanks for the info and will be keeping an eye on your post on here, not that many of us left these days with our travel facilities.

Last edited:

sprite

Very interesting that Inkyadrian as i was never too sure about it, when you get your reply from ATOC in print it might be useful to put a link on here to it, so I and others could print it out and keep it with our travel pass cards so that we could show it to who every that we must be treated the same as any other fare paying passenger. Thanks for the info and will be keeping an eye on your post on here, not that many of us left these days with our travel facilities.

I for one would like a copy of the written confirmation as I am sure it will extend to me as a holder of a pass as a dependant of safe guarded staff. I also did not know that I was entitled to onward transport in the same situations a "normal" passenger would be.

lincolnshire

Thank you Adrian for looking into this matter, it will be of benefit to all the pass and priv holders from the days of a proper joined up railway, better know as British Rail or I I used to describe us old ones on Network Rail, the sad old gits.

lyesbkz

The contents of this email and any associated files are for the addressee only and should be treated as confidential.

This transmission (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information and should not be reproduced and / or distributed to any other person without our consent or that of the sender.

Oh dear. ;)

michael769

Established Member

It's meaningless nonsense. Any communication becomes the sole property of the intended recipient when they receive it and they are free to do whatever they want with it (unless they have agreed to some form of contract with the sender which prohibits disclosure).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have to admit that I was never aware this was a problem and I am surprised. I, nor members of my family, have never had trouble with being provided taxis or compensation (delay/repay or passenger charter) during disruption. Chiltern Railways provided a taxi for me a good few years ago when I was on my way back from school on a 35p Child Priv single!

Status
Not open for further replies.