• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Attempted cable theft - Central Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchmaker

Established Member
From the Beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34463019

A spokesman for the alliance that represents both ScotRail and Network Rail said: "Glasgow Queen Street services have been significantly disrupted this morning by an attempted cable theft.

"This incident, which occurred overnight between Croy and Falkirk High, caused extensive damage to cables controlling signalling equipment on the main Edinburgh-Glasgow line.

"Engineers have been on-site since 05:30 working to repair the damage and restore services to normal."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I worked the 07:30 GLQ - EDB all stops. It took us 1hr25m. These inconsiderate barstewards really get my goat. Lots of folk today have had their journeys inconvenienced. Not good!

455driver

Veteran Member
They must be really thick, I mean scrap prices are really low at the moment so any money they get would hardly be worth the risk involved, that's assuming they can find a scrappy willing to accept the cable!

oldman

I worked the 07:30 GLQ - EDB all stops. It took us 1hr25m. These inconsiderate barstewards really get my goat. Lots of folk today have had their journeys inconvenienced. Not good!

You were lucky. According to the Scotsman:

THOUSANDS of Scottish commuters faced delays of up to 25 hours yesterday.

That's a long time to be stuck on a 170.

The article also says:

British Transport Police said up to 300ft (100m) of copper signalling cable was also stolen between Greenhill junction and Falkirk two weeks ago. A total of 31 trains were cancelled.

sarahj

Established Member
Problem is, even if the cable is fibre optic, they don't know until they cut the cable anyway, and once its cut the damage is done.

najaB

Veteran Member
Problem is, even if the cable is fibre optic, they don't know until they cut the cable anyway, and once its cut the damage is done.
There was a recent case where the scumbags cut a fibre optic cable out to some of the Scottish west-coast islands. They cut below the high-water level so BT only had a few hours around low tide to do any repairs. That was a tricky one to fix and it left thousands without telephone or Internet service.

Status
Not open for further replies.