• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATTENTION ALL COMPUTER USERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

Attention Everyone, There is e'mails going around from people protending to be the 'FBI', if you get an e'mail with FBI in the adress or title, delete it immediatly as it is a severe virus. I just hope the prats who are doing this will go to jail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
A mate of mine got this, fortunately he was not stupid enough to open the attachment.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Millions of spoof emails are doing the rounds, claiming to be any organisation or person you can think of, many are spoofed to appear to be from an organisation or person you may trust.

It's best to always ignore them, delete them (report them if you like, providing you supply the full message header to their ISP), but never respond to them.

If you don't know exactly who the email is from, and if you are not sure it is genuine, and if it looks dodgy in any way then simply delete it.

Guinness

Established Member
Simple Way of avoiding this :-

If your expecting an attachment open it, if not don't!

Tom B

Established Member
These people write viruses, then send out chainmail warnings of these which people stupidly continue to propogate.

TBH I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who gets infected from a virus they received in an email attatchment. Even for a newbie, there's so much going on about it, you have to be really stupid to do it :roll:.

Though I suspect such a virus wouldn't cause those running on a proper computer any harm ;)!

Beaker

Established Member
Title of this thread is stupid as you can not read it if you do not have a compueter so all these people reading are computer users

T

Tom

Cockfosters said:
These people write viruses, then send out chainmail warnings of these which people stupidly continue to propogate.

TBH I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who gets infected from a virus they received in an email attatchment. Even for a newbie, there's so much going on about it, you have to be really stupid to do it :roll:.

Though I suspect such a virus wouldn't cause those running on a proper computer any harm ;)!

Indeed, I don't think a Windows virus would affect a Mac or Linux computer.

devon_metro

Established Member
Indeed, I don't think a Windows virus would affect a Mac or Linux computer.[/quote]

Yes i agree, TBH i think that Linux is an amazing OS, now that i can use it despite not having it on my home computer. The problem is if everybody started buying computers with Linux on then people who create viruses would develop them from Linux. You can't win can you?
[rant] Where do these sick people get their motivation to destroy other peoples computers from. They obvioulsy have no lives. [/rant]

T

Tom

Linux is still more secure than Windows though, the viruses which have been made, were rather good and included various rootkits, suffice to say, this particular server has been attacked, no success though, rkhunter blacklisted their IP. :)

Gareth Hale

Just got an update, recieved one myself, It doesnt have a attachment on some of them, so im thinking theres an imbedded picture or something?

Tom B

Established Member
All "embedded pictures" are either attatchments or remotely stored images referenced by the HTML code. If you take a look at the HTML first you will be able to see what it's looking for and probarbly tell if it's dodgy or not.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
My antivirus picked up a variant of the sober worm in my e-mails earlier, damn viruses! Remind me to stop using outlook express like!

Status
Not open for further replies.