• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Attitudes of old people on buses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Normally the emphasis is on young people when discussing people with selfish attitudes etc on all forms of public transport and especially buses. However I have quite a few gripes about people at the opposite end of the age scale.

Firstly, when they sit on an aisle seat with their shopping bags on the window seat and refuse to move their bags even though people are having to stand. The thing that irritates me about this even more is the way that old people moan if a young person doe the same.

Secondly, when they barge their way to the front of the bus queue despite the fact that they have been waiting for much less time than anybody else. A prime example of this happened today: I had been waiting in the queue along with about 10 other people since about 3pm for the 3.10pm bus. This bus failed to turn up so we all waited for the 3.30pm bus. At about 3.30pm an old lady turned up, looked at her watch and said "it should be here now". When the bus eventually turned up at 3.35pm she pushed her way to the front of the queue in front of everybody who had been waiting for over 30 minutes including a lady carrying a baby in a baby harness. She then sat taking over 2 seats and refused to move when the bus became full at the next stop due to the previous bus not showing.

My final moan (for now ;) ) is when old people think they have more right than anybody else, including passenger with baby buggies, to sit in the wheelchair/buggy bays at the front of the bus. When the tip-up seats in the buggy bay are clearly labelled as "Priority seats for wheelchairs and baby buggies" and he next few rows are labelled as "priority seats for the elderly and disabled" it is surely the passenger with the buggy who has more right to sit there!

Public transport is there for everyone to use, whether they be young, able bodied, disabled, have shopping or have a baby in a buggy. It is not just for old people so why do so many old people treat it as though it is?!

/rant

Feel free to discuss these points and add any of your own.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Because they feel like they are owed something. But it wouldn't hurt them to try and go upstairs would it. Not all old people are like that, some even don't like sitting down :shock:

T

Tom

I agree with you there, maybe they should do ultra bendy buses where they bend the seats too, so they can make more room? :mrgreen:

Simming

when people do that to me, I go out of my way to Pee them off, IE, make annoying noises, etc etc, or saying out loud "I really REALLY hate old people who do blahdy blahdy blah..." Its doesn't Solve the situation, but by heck, its makes the journey more Copable

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Plus you get the satisfaction of annoying them, another thing you could do is make them miss their stop <D

Which is a bit mean, but it's sure hilarious to watch them go yelling at the poor Driver.

Lesjordans

lol, and they have concession cards which give them FREE bus travel, while we're all stuck paying and they take up about 20 seats (well not quite), on top of that you have to give up your seat for them (well you dont have to, i just pretend im sleeping) but how it bugs me!

Jim

Established Member
Big time dig up!!

I was on a Dennis Dart & someone asked for my seat I said yes. I wasn't letting it go that easily, I was on a Dennis Dart, & , Like Sprinter on the forum, made some cracking dart sound by here ear. She got annoyed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.