• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Attn all school leavers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
For the attention of all you lot recieving ya GCSE results. Just to let you know they are worth bugger all and you now have to spend another 2 years minimum at college getting qualifications worth just slightly more than a GCSE, then its another 2 years to start getting somewhere, btw these 2 years aren't government funded so you'll need to pay for them

So to recap, unless you've got a sentinel card with any of the following on;
  • PICOP
    HSM
    ES
    LXA
    Strap Man
    PS
    RS
    PICOM
    COSS

Then expect a crap job earning crap money. 8)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aww, there was me hoping you were going to advertise an SWT depot job at Fratton...

Getting my hopes up there I think...I'd certainly move to Fratton for it!

TomCrame

Well I haven't got any of those and I don't think I'm fairly badly off...

Four years at College paid for by Metronet and now £27k/year for monday to friday 9-5. A friend of mine didn't even get his HNC and now takes £43k. What we both have is a certificate saying Tech 2 (S) and he has an IRSE licence endorsed with 1.3.170.

A Sentinel card is not everything... BTW, does strap man mean what I think it does? (Straps on relays for testing purposes?)

Tom B

Established Member
But you'd only need those qualifications if you were going onto the railways, wouldn't you?!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Considering one of my friends has been offered an apprenticeship with Fragonset and he doesnt have any of those things, I think it's safe to say, you dont need them, I know somebody else with an important job at MML too.

TheSlash

Established Member
I was pointing out that nights on the railway are the only real good earner these days
Strap man applies earthing straps to the conductor rail once it has been isolated. Should for what ever reason, the juice then come back on, it will immediatly go down to earth and trip the breaker.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
So are loads of other jobs where you dont work unsociable hours, have a nice room around you, and get a seat.

TomCrame

Not what I thought it was then. Strap man to me is someone who applies test straps.

I have to admit, having done nights for six months I'm not overly keen on them. I'd rather earn less money as a designer than as a Night AET (which a friend of mine is doing) but keep regular hours and be able to enjoy my free time. Previously I'd finish 0700 Sat, go to sleep about 0900 until 1500, then be unable to sleep that night, spend sunday half asleep only to restart the cycle on Monday.

(Oh, and I took a pay rise to get off nights - that doesn't happen often!)

Status
Not open for further replies.