• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW 142's

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
From UK-Rail

This may be welcomed by some but not by the commuters of South Wales.It would appear that Arriva Trains has had to withdraw all of its 142's due to them failing their crash worthiness test.I think this goes back to the accident in Cheshire a while back with Freighliner 86's,seems it takes this long for the results to feedback.
Ta Martin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are they really more crashworthy than Mk1s? I find it hard to believe (but I've not seen any results so it's a pure guess).

How many 142s are there? It may not be so bad as TPE will have loads of 158s available, which could be cascaded (to replace Sprinters and so on).

I don't suppose it means a reprieve for the 37s? ;)

ChristopherJ

It would appear that Arriva Trains has had to withdraw all of its 142's due to them failing their crash worthiness test.

Oh well. ;) :D

But shouldn't this then be the same situation with Northern's 142s? :? What makes ATW's 142s different from any other TOCs? :?:

Met Driver

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
Winsford, 1999...

Winsford could have been a lot worse, if it wasn't for the bravery of the 87 driver. AFAIK he managed to reduce his speed from around the 90 mark down to something like 40 before the impact, before seeking refuge behind the bulkhead. A very brave man indeed...

Guinness

Established Member
Pacers were designed on the cheap anyway. Leyland Buses were designed for up to 50mph operation not 75mph down the WCML Mainline!

It's a hell of a job to get rid off all Northerns Pacers but it can be done (As I've done in INR :)). 158s will cascade the Pacers to there grave depending on who wins the Safety vs Economics War.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
however, i dunno about 37s coming on with ATW when the pacers go, they have they're ex-SC 150s now, and they seem to be out alot than pacers, and that was one day i was there i was on nothing but 150s!

Guinness

Established Member
Jim said:
WTF!!! Is this true - I don't belive it TBH

It's possible but quite unlikely. Withdrawing an entire fleet of Trains within immediate effect without notification of any sort (Posters, Web, BBC etc.) is unlikely but something like this could happen in the future with Pacers.

Met Driver

Established Member
Here's a summary of the article in RM August '99:

The 0630 Euston-Glasgow was running at line speed (100mph) under clear signals when the driver saw the stationary pacer blocking the line. He managed to 'cosh it' and apply the sanders before taking refuge in the equipment room. His actions caused the train to slow to 30-40mph on impact.

The pacer was on an ECS working, and it failed to stop at the signal protecting the Glasgow train at Winsford South Junction. Once the driver had realised what he'd done, he stopped (in the 87's path) and despite trying to contact the signalling centre nothing could be done to stop the 87. Thankfully there were no fatalities.

Tomnick

Established Member
Indeed, that's the one - the signal in question was the last one on the Down Slow line before it converged with the Down Fast line (at Winsford South Junction), so the unit ran out onto the fast line before stopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.