• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Class 50s Crewe-Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What a day!!:D

Last night I was asked by Joy54 if I wanted to travel on the ATW 50s from Crewe to Cardiff and return. So I asked Jordy & David (Harry potter) and they said they'd go too. Anyway despite David oversleeping and Joy54 discovering his expected train wasn’t running and the Victoria lime was shut; we all managed to board the train, hauled by 50049 Defiance.

Front windows were obtained, the weather was superb and it was just as good a journey as we could have hoped

'Defiance' was absolutely hellfire!, and arrival at Cardiff was early.

For lunch we got excellent value at pizza hut (buffet lunch), and the return trip was equally good, with front windows and excellent weather, and plenty of thrash.

We had just enough time at Crewe to shoot the loco run around before our onward connection to Manchester.

ATW were brilliant, the guard was enthusiast-friendly and even the cleaner was an enthusiast himself and we had a friendly chat with him. (If only all railway staff were this good! ;))

If the 50s operate to Fishguard, Holyhead etc this Summer (As planned) then you can be sure that I will be organisng some hellfire trips!!!

(Apologies to anyone who would have wanted to go, but I only had short notice and just decided to go last night!)

A small (320x240) video is available at www.railuk.org/yorkie/50s_small.wmv (5MB) Sorry the sound is not very good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
'Project Defiance' seem to have done a good job on the loco. Was it top-and-tailed? If so I'm guessing T50F's 50031 'Hood'?

Jordy

Established Member
Coxster said:
'Project Defiance' seem to have done a good job on the loco. Was it top-and-tailed? If so I'm guessing T50F's 50031 'Hood'?

It was indeed.

On the return journey, not only was the cleaner an enthusiast but the guard was too, he kept doing heads out and telling the driver to 'open her up' :lol:

Was a great day, video coming soon

Jordy

Ascot

Established Member
Sounds like a very good day. Shame i couldn't join but i was in Dublin for a bit of a staff do. I'll try and find out what we're gettin up Holyhead.

David

Established Member
yorkie said:
Anyway despite David oversleeping

What do you mean oversleeping? I still managed to catch the TPE...

(Only after a mad dash down the motorway to get to Sheffield before the train. Scunthorpe - Sheffield railway station in just under 40 minutes.)

The Snap

Established Member
Ah, bugger! Shame I couldn't go! Will go on the next one though, whenever it is. Sounds like you all had a good time! :)

Jim

Established Member
Sounds great fun, at least most people are seeing sense in my love of pizza hut buffet lunch;)

The Snap

Established Member
Jim said:
Sounds great fun, at least most people are seeing sense in my love of pizza hut buffet lunch;)

Indeed, especially if you can still get in for a childs rate! :D It think it is very nice, and very cheap. :)

Coxster

Established Member
Jim said:
Your dad missed your "then we'll have pizza" remark after each sentence on Thursday ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rich said:
Indeed, especially if you can still get in for a childs rate! :D It think it is very nice, and very cheap. :)
He can't, he isn't under 12.

The idea of Jim being on a lower rate is daft, a higher rate would be more suitable ;) (Judging by his exploits at Cardiff on the night before the Rhymney valley diesel gala :D ;) )

The Snap

Established Member
yorkie said:

The idea of Jim being on a lower rate is daft, a higher rate would be more suitable ;) (Judging by his exploits at Cardiff on the night before the Rhymney valley diesel gala :D ;) )

I wasn't actually reffering to Jim in person, I was meaning people in general. It is cheaper for a child, and if they eat loads, and love pizza, the buffet lunch is ideal. :)

Jim

Established Member
yorkie said:

Oi! Got to enjoy it & get value for money

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah well, I'd have been on the southbound run on Saturday morning as far as Hereford (well, maybe Ludlow) after bashing my way up there on the Friday night, but it was not worth spending £30+ (including food and drink) to do an overnighter and potentially see nothing interesting. H-O Shrewsbury to Crewe can and will be done another time.

EDIT: Regarding the buffet, it is exceptional value, but I don't think I could ever eat a Pizza Hut pizza ever again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
'RailUK, sponsered by Pizza Hut'

'Pizza Hut, financially assisted by Jim'

'If 50 people from RailUK ate the £3.99 buffet lunch, how many MK3s were scrapped at the same time?'

:lol:

devon_metro

Established Member
WSXFan said:
'If 50 people from RailUK ate the £3.99 buffet lunch, how many MK3s were scrapped at the same time?'

:lol:

Thankyou that has made my evening :lol:

Tht really made me laugh :D

Jim

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
When i walk into Pizza Hut i am two years younger! Never fails. No comments Jim lol

Whys that then ***looks below feet;) ;) ***

I have only just stopped dong that & look twice as old as you Liam;) :p

Jordy

Established Member
My video of the 50s has finally been approved by goooooooogle.

Click

Warning, its 11 mins long!

Enjoy

Jordy

The Snap

Established Member
WSXFan said:
I should hope you've seen the stupid Pizza Hut adverts then, which is what I was paroding.

Yeah, they are stupid - what sort of a four person family shares one pizza!? I eat one bigger than that by myself! :p 8-)

Nice video Jordy!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can think of many, many people who share a large pizza between four people. If you can eat a large pan pizza to yourself, you're either a greedy git or someone with a bottomless stomach it would seem. I tried it once, when I was exceptionally hungry prior to going to Fort William, I managed around half, and I was full to bursting then. Wish I'd taken the rest and consumed the rest cold later though, was a waste of money to throw so much away!

But they are stupid adverts. They make no sense. I always want to leave the room when they're on, always wanting to throw an axe at the TV with it on. Same for the Asda advert that's doing the rounds, but hey. It's safe to say that I hate most stuff on TV, with the only things on it I'll watch being Futurama, Family Guy, The Simpsons (and that's getting stupider with every episode) and Frasier.

Ascot

Established Member
It's safe to say that I hate most stuff on TV, with the only things on it I'll watch being Futurama, Family Guy, The Simpsons (and that's getting stupider with every episode) and Frasier.

6 o'clock news/weather?

Dennis

Established Member
The vast majority of TV news programs on the telly just contain so much BS and little real news they are hardly worth watching. I think the only exception to this would be channel 4 news.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Jordy said:
My video of the 50s has finally been approved by goooooooogle.

Click

Warning, its 11 mins long!

Enjoy

Jordy

You know it Jordy! Nice to see RailUK members bashing decent traction ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm after those 50s to something VERY interesting next week...! If it does happen, I think you might want to pop over 50149! Will detail you on details when I get them, but it's been spread that T+T 50s are off to Fishguard next week...Nothing confirmed yet, but I want to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.