• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW 'Gerald'

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Been looking at booking a trip on ATW's WAG premium service in early June, but finding an anomaly when enquiring on the search engines (eastcoast and Arriva so far).

For travel up to the end of April, I can book either a Standard or a 1st Class ticket on this service, but going into May and beyond, only Standard are showing, with no trains available offering 1st Class. Obviously a train of some sort is running the schedule, but is Gerald being retired, or taking a break, after April?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me. Also apologies if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to put it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Couriouser and curiouser....

A search for the second week in June shows the 0533 off Holyhead and 1716 return as conveying a restaurant car for 1st class-ticket holders, so presumably that train will still be "Gerald", but, as you say, no 1st class fares are coming-up for the morning journey.

Perhaps they haven't all been loaded into the database yet.

I'd keep on looking!

Last edited:

LWhite421

According to the Arriva Trains Wales website, 'Advance tickets are generally available to book 12 weeks before the date of travel'. http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/LoveTheTrain/HowtoBuyAP/

I wonder whether that has something to do with it. So 'correct' from the 21st of March, fares are available up to Sunday 14th of June. In that case, 1st class tickets may not yet be available, whilst tickets for standard fares are being sold in conjunction with what is in the 'system' for those weeks.

Just a guess however, and undoubtedly there may be an alternative explanation :)

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Geralds stock rental (WG Capitol) is funded to May 2015,the £1.4M annual subsidy(WG revenue) to run Gerald is secure to end of Budget April 2015.

However as the train is open access, it can be pulled or altered at anytime,so long as the ATW franchise 1715 ex Cardiff slot is retained by a service. The up morning Gerald is not a franchise service.

I dont see the 1st Class changing this year, perhaps a buffet afterwards.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
OK, I'm going to bite. What is Gerald?

It's the loco-hauled service from Holyhead to Cardiff and return, weekdays only....see Merlodlliws comments above re funding. There are many comments about it on this forum!

trainophile

Established Member
I've emailed ATW to ask what is going on, in view of the lack of availability to book this service beyond 1st May. Will update when (if?) I get a reply.

Been looking at booking a trip on ATW's WAG premium service in early June, but finding an anomaly when enquiring on the search engines (eastcoast and Arriva so far).

For travel up to the end of April, I can book either a Standard or a 1st Class ticket on this service, but going into May and beyond, only Standard are showing, with no trains available offering 1st Class. Obviously a train of some sort is running the schedule, but is Gerald being retired, or taking a break, after April?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me. Also apologies if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to put it.

I too would like to undertake the very same journey, 1st Class late June early July.

Waiting with baited breath on the reply you get from Arriva.

merlodlliw

Established Member
I put up the May time table changes in February,something like ATW May timetables out for consultation, I don't have time to look it up just now.

The Premier service was unchanged May to Dec 2014 according to the proof timetable,which is now with the printers, it will appear on the ATW website in April, timetable four. Hope this helps.

I recall only change in North Wales was a late evening Llandudno to Chester service to make better connections in Chester for Manchester.

Just wondered if anyone had any update info of the First class ticket for this service.

I want to use this service
12 June 2014 Cardiff to Shrewsbury Dep 17:16 1st Sgl (Std or Advance)

I have just checked Arriva and East Coast "No First Showing"

According to National Rail advance ticket are available to June 20 for Arriva trains Wales.

Also sent a polite email to Arriva for info.

trainophile

Established Member
I emailed last Weds, and their acknowledgement auto reply says they try to respond within 10 working days, so I'm not expecting to hear just yet.

It's academic in my case now as I've re-arranged our route (to London, was going to use Gerald and change at Newport) and bought the tickets, but I'd still be interested to know so we can have a day out to Cardiff another time... assuming it ever reappears in the booking systems :? .

SprinterMan

Established Member
I put up the May time table changes in February,something like ATW May timetables out for consultation, I don't have time to look it up just now.

The Premier service was unchanged May to Dec 2014 according to the proof timetable,which is now with the printers, it will appear on the ATW website in April, timetable four. Hope this helps.

I recall only change in North Wales was a late evening Llandudno to Chester service to make better connections in Chester for Manchester.

I cannot seem to find this late evening Llandudno to Chester service. What time is it supposed to run?

Gerald missing 1st class is down to one of 2 reasons; either a clerical error (which is surprisingly common around these timetable changes) or ATW are switching their 1st class to a Chiltern-style pay-on-train "Business Class" system (I have heard rumours that this is a possibility). The switch to the business class could well be down to MPs being unable to claim expenses for 1st class train travel, and MPs were one of the reasons Gerald was introduced in the first place.

Adam :D

merlodlliw

Established Member
I cannot seem to find this late evening Llandudno to Chester service. What time is it supposed to run?

Gerald missing 1st class is down to one of 2 reasons; either a clerical error (which is surprisingly common around these timetable changes) or ATW are switching their 1st class to a Chiltern-style pay-on-train "Business Class" system (I have heard rumours that this is a possibility). The switch to the business class could well be down to MPs being unable to claim expenses for 1st class train travel, and MPs were one of the reasons Gerald was introduced in the first place.

Here is the thread I started with all ATW May changes listed.http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96985 see table 81, my guess its a clerical error,ATW will know by now, suggest you e mail them.

Bob

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member

trainophile

Established Member
Ill rattle a cage for you.

Bob

If you're serious, my enquiry ref no is ATW-140325-HQB. However I just re-read their email and it seems they are aiming to reply within 15 working days atm due to high volumes of correspondence resulting from the floods, so perhaps it's still a bit soon.

Squaddie

First class Advance tickets are now available on the 05:33 Holyhead-Cardiff up until 20th June, at £78 (Standard fare is £20), but still no first class fares for the return service at 17:16.

merlodlliw

Established Member
If you're serious, my enquiry ref no is ATW-140325-HQB. However I just re-read their email and it seems they are aiming to reply within 15 working days atm due to high volumes of correspondence resulting from the floods, so perhaps it's still a bit soon.

From the booking office at Gobowen yesterday.

On the matter of first class second week in June at Gobowen we are able
to book 1st Class open returns all that week but can only find one or
two advance purchase singles out to Cardiff from Wrexham.

So according to booking office staff, 1st class is on the 1716 to Holyhead.

I have passed on your inquiry to a senior contact within ATW.

trainophile

Established Member
Had an email today from ATW Customer Relations, asking me to let them know what my journey requirements are, so that they can help find me the tickets I want. I'll have to reply that I've made alternate arrangements in the meantime, but...

A check on my usual (eastcoast) booking site shows that Gerald has been reinstated! :D 0533 from Holyhead and 1321 from Cardiff.

Looks like whatever the glitch was has been resolved. Good news.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Had an email today from ATW Customer Relations, asking me to let them know what my journey requirements are, so that they can help find me the tickets I want. I'll have to reply that I've made alternate arrangements in the meantime, but...

A check on my usual (eastcoast) booking site shows that Gerald has been reinstated! :D 0533 from Holyhead and 1321 from Cardiff.

Looks like whatever the glitch was has been resolved. Good news.

What a shame Gerald is the 1716 off Cardiff, ATW have advertised 1st on the wrong train ;)

trainophile

Established Member
I thought it didn't sound right. Suppose I'd better let them know.

Had a reply to my reply this morning, thanking me for getting back to them and offering their continued help should I ever need to contact them again. We're practically best mates now :lol: .

It will be a service to everyone if I tell them it looks wrong I hope, and won't just be seen as nit-picking. (Actually it's a fairly major nit to pick!)

Watch this space :smile: .

merlodlliw

Established Member
I thought it didn't sound right. Suppose I'd better let them know.

Had a reply to my reply this morning, thanking me for getting back to them and offering their continued help should I ever need to contact them again. We're practically best mates now :lol: .

It will be a service to everyone if I tell them it looks wrong I hope, and won't just be seen as nit-picking. (Actually it's a fairly major nit to pick!)

Watch this space :smile: .

This is not the first time ATW have cocked up the Gerald departures,when ATW sent around the proofs for the May timetables I am amazed this error was not picked up a while back.

Bob

The matter regarding 1st class availability still appears to remain.

I want to book
Monday 14 July 2014
1st class single Cardiff Dep 17:16 to Shrewsbury

I can't find the fare anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.