• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW 'Gerald'

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
That's a bit disconcerting as we've booked a two-stage trip to London for next month, going that way instead of direct from Hereford specifically to enjoy Gerald's offerings, and with a 29 minute connection at Newport. I believe if we are delayed sufficiently to miss our onward FGW service (Advance tickets) we would be allowed to take the next one, which is half an hour later, so I'm not going to panic too much.

Not sure if we'll get breakfast as we only have 44 minutes on board, but it wasn't that much dearer than an anytime standard class ticket (couldn't find any Advances between Hereford and Newport) so thought we might as well.

Hope they don't take it out of service permanently if it keeps having problems :( . Would be a shame, and a waste!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
That's a bit disconcerting as we've booked a two-stage trip to London for next month, going that way instead of direct from Hereford specifically to enjoy Gerald's offerings, and with a 29 minute connection at Newport. I believe if we are delayed sufficiently to miss our onward FGW service (Advance tickets) we would be allowed to take the next one, which is half an hour later, so I'm not going to panic too much.

Not sure if we'll get breakfast as we only have 44 minutes on board, but it wasn't that much dearer than an anytime standard class ticket (couldn't find any Advances between Hereford and Newport) so thought we might as well.

Hope they don't take it out of service permanently if it keeps having problems :( . Would be a shame, and a waste!

The only thing that will take Gerald out of service is Welsh Government stopping its funding as open access.Has for breakfast from Hereford,no idea,but seeing the train leaving Wrexham many times, few if any are in first when it departs,so why not e mail one of the senior management at ATW,public relations is Mike Bagshaw,I am sure he will forward your e mail to his staff responsible.
Has the new ATW loco hauled/DVT enters service from Crewe in December
(franchise not open access) I am sure ATW will want to iron out problems,if I recall Wrexham & Shropshire had a few problems,but not on Geralds current record this month.

berneyarms

Established Member

You should manage the breakfast.

I managed it comfortably last week between Shrewsbury and Hereford.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I saw Gerald parked in Holyhead Platform 3 last night. It is still running around with the BR Blue buffet car. Do we know why 10246 is still in use? Arriva have 10249 and 10259, and it seems a little strange that both of these are unavailable for the one train a day they are needed for. 50% fleet availability is not an unrealistic expectation :P Also, I must say that the seating moquette and carpets are much prettier in 10246 than in either of the Arriva buffet coaches.

Adam :D

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I saw Gerald parked in Holyhead Platform 3 last night. It is still running around with the BR Blue buffet car. Do we know why 10246 is still in use? Arriva have 10249 and 10259, and it seems a little strange that both of these are unavailable for the one train a day they are needed for. 50% fleet availability is not an unrealistic expectation :P Also, I must say that the seating moquette and carpets are much prettier in 10246 than in either of the Arriva buffet coaches.

This dining car was also used by W/S has a spare, has for the other two, no idea,perhaps being refurbed to another class? not sure if DB own it when they bought stock in from another company along with the Mark3s being prepared at Crewe for the North Wales/Manchester run in December.

Gerald as been running has a Saturday non franchise relief for the peak weeks,one up and one down between Holyhead & Crewe. I understand Saturday 30th will be the last run, if you scroll back its been mentioned before. Gerald also calls at Rhyl & Colwyn Bay on this run.reply refers to Martinish question.

headshot119

Established Member

One of them is out of use after fire damage.
The other has electrical problems.

berneyarms

Established Member

The lack of sockets is not so good though and it is showing it's age a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.