• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be mortified if a 150 rolled into Cardiff Central and I was going to north Wales! This is the route that could easily be LHCS, even if they borrow some Mk IIs from Pete Waterman again like the Rhymney services several years ago!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
I'd be mortified if a 150 rolled into Cardiff Central and I was going to north Wales! This is the route that could easily be LHCS, even if they borrow some Mk IIs from Pete Waterman again like the Rhymney services several years ago!

And it will be LHCS, 3 times daily each way, from 2019. Until then, no it's not an easy thing at all. It requires a DVT/DBSO as there isn't enough time to do a run around at Chester or Holyhead, and those aren't exactly 10 a penny right now.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It's a regular occurrence. Usual question - Would you rather it be cancelled ?:D:D

krus_aragon

Established Member
On the topic of fleet shortages, today's 1252 Holyhead - Maesteg is being worked by a 150. In fairness to it, it didn't lose any time overall on the inbound journey from Cardiff this morning: Left CDF 15 late, arrived HHD 15 late, on a diagram timed for a 175.

And having left Holyhead 6 down, it made up the time by Cardiff, and it's now approaching Maesteg on time. Not bad for an old 75mph DMU! (Or maybe it shows very generous timing for the 175...)

ATW158Xpress

The 150’s have a lot reduce dwell times at stations with doors being 1/3 way in carriage instead of end doors of 175 and 158.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
The 150’s have a lot reduce dwell times at stations with doors being 1/3 way in carriage instead of end doors of 175 and 158.

It's also mainly the acceleration. they were called Sprinters when they were introduced not without reason , remember they have a clear run out on the Marches down in the valleys they have speed restrictions and another station to slow for barely before they've got past 40 mph.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On Tuesday I had a 150/1 from Nottingham to Wakefield. Nottingham to Leeds might well be shorter in distance than Cardiff to Holyhead, but both should be considered "regional express" type services. In fact the Welsh one less-so, as other than Cardiff none of the places served are that big- regionally significant yes, but hardly bustling metropoli like Nottingham, Sheffield or Leeds. Ideally both services would have something at least akin to a 158 or 175 (as they do, usually) but if a 150 is all there is and it can keep to time, it isn't a disaster. For the record, my 150 journey was not nearly as unpleasant as expected- whilst legroom wasn't great the noise wasn't too bad, and we were actually two minutes early to Dore junction, and held at a signal as a result. Another two signal checks between there and Sheffield meant following a stopper to Wakefield and a missed connection at Kirkgate (delay replay claim now in process!), but that wasn't a fault of the unit.

It's a regular occurrence. Usual question - Would you rather it be cancelled ?:D:D
Quite. People sometimes forget that when the 150s were new, they were regulars on services much longer than those they're generally diagrammed for today. Transpennine expresses and Birmingham to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli were 150 strongholds, and despite being new they weren't any better than today. In the case of the majority of the Welsh fleet, they were worse!

Cardiff123

Established Member
So, we are still waiting to see an elusive PRM modified 150/2 in service. I think they are holding one back to reveal on 15th October, possibly in TfW colours. What other explanation is there?
I assume there have been no more PRM modified 158s in service either?
The lack of progress with the PRM mods program is very, very concerning.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
So, we are still waiting to see an elusive PRM modified 150/2 in service. I think they are holding one back to reveal on 15th October, possibly in TfW colours. What other explanation is there?
I assume there have been no more PRM modified 158s in service either?
The lack of progress with the PRM mods program is very, very concerning.

A 158 went ECS from Mach to Crewe this morning, so maybe the 3rd one is now done.

Cardiff123

Established Member

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Here's the impact of the mod work as viewed from Telford

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...onfront-arriva-trains-bosses-over-rail-chaos/
t added that the company had not permanently reduced the number of carriages operating on the service from the border stations to Birmingham New Street.

But has since confirmed that the service is currently scheduled to run with two carriages due to a shortage in the fleet.

It says trains it operates are out of action and are being upgraded to meet accessibility standards.

Currently the early morning service between Telford and Birmingham is operating with two carriages instead of four.

'Not acceptable'

Ms Allan said: "It is not acceptable that commuters in Telford who work in Birmingham are being left behind on the platform in Telford due to a lack of capacity on the trains.

"This has been going on all summer and there has been no explanation or consultation for a change in service that is vital for our local economy.

"I look forward to meeting with the managing director of Arriva Trains later this month to highlight the problems that Telford commuters are facing on a daily basis and to find a sensible solution to address this problem."

Cardiff123

Established Member
The latest issue of RAIL, in an article on the recent Stadler order, quotes "TfW chief executive James Price" and "TfW mobilisation director Colin Lea" (who is Keolis Amey but has a TfW job title)
So surely Ms Allan should be talking to them?
I've read nothing about Tom Joyner continuing.

Mr Apples

I have recently (3 weeks ago) travelled in Cardiff on 150264, so it is back in traffic, However I couldn't see any significant changes, mainly because it was absolutely rammed on a boiling hot summers day.

anamyd

On Moderation
Sorry to interrupt, but I just found this:

http://www.traindoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/158.pdf

It's from the supplier of the passenger door control systems (with obstruction detection) that have been / are being fitted to the modified 158s. I haven't yet found any documents from the suppliers of any of the other new parts. I will be trying to do that however. If any one here knows of any others please share :)

Oscar46016

Could anyone see us getting to a situation where trains are withdrawn from some quieter routes and buses laid on instead, so the trains that are actually available in Wales can be sent to boost capacity on the busiest routes?

The 153 on the Cardiff Bay shuttle could be used to strengthen Rhymney trains and ticket acceptance agreed on the Cardiff bus Baycar route. The City line is another route that is already well served by Cardiff buses, trains could be taken from there to strengthen Valleys & VoG trains.

The Blaenau Festiniog branch could be bustituted and the 150 from there spared. Solving the short forms of 158s isn't as easy.
Although i'm pretty sure TfW won't want to be seen closing routes due to train shortages as soon as it takes over the franchise.

Alternatively, Porterbrook could hire locos and drag the 319s up and down the Valleys.

The City Line route is pretty overcrowded in rush hour when it's a two car - I don't think you could push those passengers onto the buses.
The City Line from Radyr also alleviates the pressure on the valley trains.

anamyd

On Moderation
A 158 went ECS from Mach to Crewe this morning, so maybe the 3rd one is now done.

Yep, it's 158-819 and is in service in modified form this evening between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth and back :) I knew it would be one of the two "158-81x" units judging by the dates on my list on page 4. Just 21 more 158s and over 30 150s to go now...

Honest Ross

Yep, it's 158-819 and is in service in modified form this evening between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth and back :) I knew it would be one of the two "158-81x" units judging by the dates on my list on page 4. Just 21 more 158s and over 30 150s to go now...
]

Not much then! :) haha

6Gtraincrew

150's are having sockets and USB charging points installed (and new alternator) while in for PRM mods.

anamyd

On Moderation
150's are having sockets and USB charging points installed (and new alternator) while in for PRM mods.

Not bad! Do you know how 150285 is coming along, and if any other 150s are in for the modifications...? Audiovisual PIS and clear (LED) destination screens are part of the mods right...?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not bad! Do you know how 150285 is coming along, and if any other 150s are in for the modifications...? Audiovisual PIS and clear (LED) destination screens are part of the mods right...?

Probably won't know much until 285 comes back to civilisation. Pretty sure it is in Works for an Exam and severe corrosion issues and not PRM Mods.

anamyd

On Moderation
Probably won't know much until 285 comes back to civilisation. Pretty sure it is in Works for an Exam and severe corrosion issues and not PRM Mods.

Hmm, surely it would make sense to implement the PRM mods as part of the rebuild (whether done elsewhere or not)...?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hmm, surely it would make sense to implement the PRM mods as part of the rebuild (whether done elsewhere or not)...?

I'm not sure what work is done where but it would have to be in the same works that are contracted to do the PRM Mods

6Gtraincrew

No idea how it's coming along.

Yeah, PIS is one of the requirements, so will be fitted. Also rejigged wheelchair spaces with call for aid. Wheelchair accessible CET toilet. Also priority seats and other small bits and bobs.

anamyd

On Moderation
No idea how it's coming along.

Yeah, PIS is one of the requirements, so will be fitted. Also rejigged wheelchair spaces with call for aid. Wheelchair accessible CET toilet. Also priority seats and other small bits and bobs.
Thanks :) And of course the new door audible warning / safety systems, right...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.