• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
264 is indeed out in service - it's on Merthyr/Aberdare - Barry Island/Bridgend services for most of the day, before heading out west on the 2106 to Milford Haven

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Not entirely correct. The unit off the 1934 from Cardiff stables overnight every Saturday.

Is that now a regular occurrence? I know that the last train to Holyhead has often been curtailed for engineering works, but wasn't sure if it was now permanent. Either way, stabling one unit one night a week certainly doesn't warrant neeting tank-emptying equipment.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Literally anything ATW operate other than 158s could operate the Builth Rd special, but fortunately no pacers have worked the special IIRC in recent years, despite being cleared to there.

It wasn't the Builth Special, but I have had a Pacer on a day trip from Llanelli to Llandovery, when the northern section of the line was closed for engineering works. The Pacer took me back down south too. :/

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is that now a regular occurrence? I know that the last train to Holyhead has often been curtailed for engineering works, but wasn't sure if it was now permanent. Either way, stabling one unit one night a week certainly doesn't warrant neeting tank-emptying equipment.

It has terminated at Llandudno Jn in the Timetable every week for years

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Indeed, I saw it! Quite a nice surprise as 175s going up the Heart of Wales is very rare. Seems ATW have good availability at the moment. I saw an evening service yesterday heading off to Ebbw Vale which was 175 operated, and the one that terminated at Cardiff from there a few minutes later was also a 175.

Literally anything ATW operate other than 158s could operate the Builth Rd special, but fortunately no pacers have worked the special IIRC in recent years, despite being cleared to there.

Every time I’m in ATW territory, I’m now keeping my eye out for any PRM mod 158s and 150s. :lol:

175s have a booked working to Ebbw Vale every Monday to Thursday evening. Ebbw Vales can see 175s on their own, obviously, and singly or combos of 142, 143, 150. 153 or 158s.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
First modified 158 ran through Newtown ECS to Machynlleth half an hour ago.

158822 external shot of retention tanks attached.

Attachments

• 20180724_123608.jpg
    20180724_123608.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 191
  • 20180724_123608.jpg
    20180724_123608.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 172

krus_aragon

Established Member
It has terminated at Llandudno Jn in the Timetable every week for years

I'll consider myself suitably corrected, then. I'd assumed that when I happened to take the last train of the night on a Saturday rather than any other night (rare in either case these days), that there was coincidentally maintenance going on.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'll consider myself suitably corrected, then. I'd assumed that when I happened to take the last train of the night on a Saturday rather than any other night (rare in either case these days), that there was coincidentally maintenance going on.

Thank you. I had always wondered that but it gives Network Rail "Carte Blanche" availability of the route even if they don't take it up.

Cardiff123

Established Member
264 is indeed out in service - it's on Merthyr/Aberdare - Barry Island/Bridgend services for most of the day, before heading out west on the 2106 to Milford Haven
Do you know the first and / or last diagram that 264 operates on the Valleys?

craigybagel

Established Member
Do you know the first and / or last diagram that 264 operates on the Valleys?

Today it finished on the Valleys with the 1838 Merthyr - Bridgend as far as Cardiff. After spending some time in Canton it'll form the 2106 to Milford Haven tonight, then back to Carmarthen to stable there. I'll try and find out if that does still happen - and if the set has actually been modified yet....

craigybagel

Established Member

Not so much a rumour as actually looking at the exam plan with the list of 150 mods.

Jez

Established Member
A 175 on the Heart of Wales line is very rare indeed. Does anyone know if the Royal Welsh train is a 175 again today or is it back to sprinters?

Does anyone know whether the regular Heart of Wales services have had extra capacity this week?

craigybagel

Established Member
Not so much a rumour as actually looking at the exam plan with the list of 150 mods.

Fair enough, there must have been a change of plan at some point

A 175 on the Heart of Wales line is very rare indeed. Does anyone know if the Royal Welsh train is a 175 again today or is it back to sprinters?

Does anyone know whether the regular Heart of Wales services have had extra capacity this week?

The special is a 150+153 today. Everything else looks to be a single 150

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The special is a 150+153 today. Everything else looks to be a single 150
The rolling stock suituation certainly looks tight then; the time I went (several years ago) I seem to recall that the show special was a pair of 150s (4-car train) and the normal services I saw were all 3-car (153+150).

Cardiff123

Established Member
Details and pics of the first fully accessible 158 to re-enter service.

https://wales247.co.uk/the-first-fu...service-to-benefit-mid-wales-rail-passengers/

Note that the article says there is "clear colour coordination within each carriage, for those with visual impairments."
This colour coordination is in full ATW grey, light blue and turqoiuse. I seriously hope that TfW don't waste yet more time and money taking trains out of service again for extended periods to change the internal colour scheme to TfW grey, red and black.
That really would win the award for massive waste of money and resources when the PRM'd 150s and 158s will internally be more than suitable to last until they leave Wales.
ATW's 143s and some 150s still carried the original 1997 -2003 'Valley lines' franchise colour scheme internally until about 2 years ago.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

https://wales247.co.uk/the-first-fu...service-to-benefit-mid-wales-rail-passengers/

Note that the article says there is "clear colour coordination within each carriage, for those with visual impairments."
This colour coordination is in full ATW grey, light blue and turqoiuse. I seriously hope that TfW don't waste yet more time and money taking trains out of service again for extended periods to change the internal colour scheme to TfW grey, red and black.
That really would win the award for massive waste of money and resources when the PRM'd 150s and 158s will internally be more than suitable to last until they leave Wales.
ATW's 143s and some 150s still carried the original 1997 -2003 'Valley lines' franchise colour scheme internally until about 2 years ago.
I note that the problems of short forming to allow this to happen were ignored in the happy good news press release!

Established Member

Does anyone know what unit it is?

Thanks.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Are there any further updates on PRM progress? All we've got so far are 2 x 158's confirmed and no fully modified 150s have appeared yet. Is there a pause on the PRM program, so units can be modified and overhauled into TfW black, red and grey interiors rather than ATW cream, grey and turquoise?
If the PRM program has been going since June, is it worrying that only 2 units are in service fully modified?
Does anyone know where the work is being done?

anamyd

On Moderation
Are there any further updates on PRM progress? All we've got so far are 2 x 158's confirmed and no fully modified 150s have appeared yet. Is there a pause on the PRM program, so units can be modified and overhauled into TfW black, red and grey interiors rather than ATW cream, grey and turquoise?
If the PRM program has been going since June, is it worrying that only 2 units are in service fully modified?
Does anyone know where the work is being done?

I did think that not a lot has been happening since those first two 158s were done. Maybe someone could help me with the 150s because they're almost 50 miles out of area for me and I won't really be able to see any for around a week.

Last edited:

A photo seen on Flickr shows a 150/2 in Arriva Train Care Crewe undergoing major repair plenty of fresh metal going into lower body side. I presume this part of the PRM work.

Also 158s definitely are attending Wabtec Doncaster for some work, major exams/bogies maybe? Have seen a couple photos taken of the past year.

Cardiff123

Established Member
A photo seen on Flickr shows a 150/2 in Arriva Train Care Crewe undergoing major repair plenty of fresh metal going into lower body side. I presume this part of the PRM work.
Can you give the link to the photo? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.