• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear what likely happened to the cow, the 175, and the driver, passengers and crew on the 175. 103 was the one I filmed the ex-GWR 153s delivery from as well - I've never been in a train crash but they must be nasty...
Fortunately there wasn't a lot of moooving on impact.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear what likely happened to the cow, the 175, and the driver, passengers and crew on the 175. 103 was the one I filmed the ex-GWR 153s delivery from as well - I've never been in a train crash but they must be nasty...

Crew and passengers all fine, cow and train less so.

Cardiff123

Established Member
It's the cow I feel most sorry for tbh, I should imagine it will have to be put down.
And of course this means more 150s on the Marches :(
My chances of being on a 150 Cardiff - Crewe a week Monday are getting more by the day :'(

anamyd

On Moderation
It's the cow I feel most sorry for tbh, I should imagine it will have to be put down.
And of course this means more 150s on the Marches :(
My chances of being on a 150 Cardiff - Crewe a week Monday are getting more by the day :'(
I wasn't saying that the cow probably being killed was a good thing. If she indeed was, may she rest in peace

Cardiff123

Established Member
Various cancellations to Valleys and Barry Island/Penarth services later this afternoon and this evening due to a shortage of train crew, just as Barry Island will be emptying back up to the Valleys on the hottest Saturday this year so far.
Hopefully the services that are running will be at least 4 carriages.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I wonder what will be booked for the Royal Welsh Special next month, it could be whatever is available on the day, last year we saw a 3 car 175 on one of the days and 150/153 (I think) on the other days.
I wonder if there's even going to be a Royal Welsh special train this year; I've looked for the timings on Real Time Trains using both Llanwrtyd and Builth Road on 23rd July and both came up with just the normal 8 departures (four in each direction).

I note however that the class 37s are back on the valleys; I seem to recall reading that the Royal Welsh train was LHCS back when ATW had 37s (or was it when they had class 50s on the Fishguard boat train?) Probably too much to hope for that this would happen again, but it would be nice.

I wonder if there's even going to be a Royal Welsh special train this year; I've looked for the timings on Real Time Trains using both Llanwrtyd and Builth Road on 23rd July and both came up with just the normal 8 departures (four in each direction).

I note however that the class 37s are back on the valleys; I seem to recall reading that the Royal Welsh train was LHCS back when ATW had 37s (or was it when they had class 50s on the Fishguard boat train?) Probably too much to hope for that this would happen again, but it would be nice.
The specials will run but absolutely no chance of 37s.

Envoy

Established Member
Various cancellations to Valleys and Barry Island/Penarth services later this afternoon and this evening due to a shortage of train crew, just as Barry Island will be emptying back up to the Valleys on the hottest Saturday this year so far.
Hopefully the services that are running will be at least 4 carriages.

Brilliant! So, no doubt those who can will in future use their cars as you cannot trust the railways too deliver.

Hwnt52

The 'Boat Train Express' from Swansea to Fishguard Harbour (only stops at Llanelli, Whitland and Clarbeston Road before Fishguard) was formed yesterday of a single 142. I observed it near Clarbeston Road but was too far away to determine which unit. As it happens, it was reasonably on time and going like the clappers - a fine experience for all on board no doubt.

Envoy

Established Member
The 'Boat Train Express' from Swansea to Fishguard Harbour (only stops at Llanelli, Whitland and Clarbeston Road before Fishguard) was formed yesterday of a single 142. I observed it near Clarbeston Road but was too far away to determine which unit. As it happens, it was reasonably on time and going like the clappers - a fine experience for all on board no doubt.

So, the fastest train in Wales is a 142! It must have been absolutely cooking as the temperature hit 30C yesterday.

craigybagel

Established Member

So, the fastest train in Wales is a 142! It must have been absolutely cooking as the temperature hit 30C yesterday.

Speed limit is no higher then 75 West of Swansea so in theory a 142 should keep to time as well as any other unit. Although I don't sign them, I do sign similarly un-air conditioned 150s and they can actually be great on a hot day. 75mph with all the windows open will get the air circulating very well!

sw1ller

Established Member
Speed limit is no higher then 75 West of Swansea so in theory a 142 should keep to time as well as any other unit. Although I don't sign them, I do sign similarly un-air conditioned 150s and they can actually be great on a hot day. 75mph with all the windows open will get the air circulating very well!

Agreed, I’d much rather be a passenger on a 150 than a 158! Driving is a different story though.

I had a 4 car to international yesterday (I was one of the only trains to make it that far!) and I was the only person out of about 300 people who had any aircon. (Cab aircon doesn’t work for the guard). I was the only person to step off that train dry!!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It's booked for a Pacer at the moment (142 or 143)

Llanigraham

Established Member
Agreed, I’d much rather be a passenger on a 150 than a 158! Driving is a different story though.

I had a 4 car to international yesterday (I was one of the only trains to make it that far!) and I was the only person out of about 300 people who had any aircon. (Cab aircon doesn’t work for the guard). I was the only person to step off that train dry!!
They were giving out free water on the delayed 1710 Aberystwyth yesterday at Shrewsbury.

sw1ller

Established Member
They were giving out free water on the delayed 1710 Aberystwyth yesterday at Shrewsbury.

Did that turn up half hour late? Pretty sure that was mine. Can’t remember what time I worked now but I had to change ends at new street on the way back and go via Bescot, that and the lengthy wait to get into new street is what caused the delay. I felt awful for the passengers.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Did that turn up half hour late? Pretty sure that was mine. Can’t remember what time I worked now but I had to change ends at new street on the way back and go via Bescot, that and the lengthy wait to get into new street is what caused the delay. I felt awful for the passengers.

1J23, due 1720, arrived 1752, departed 1803, arrived Caersws 1848, which hopefully should get me 30 minutes delay repay.
To be fair, the staff did a good job getting the water out and it wasn't rammed after Shrewsbury, considering the Food Fair was on.

Jez

Established Member
There were plenty of 150s on the Manchester to South Wales route yesterday. However ironic that the one booked for a 158 (1455 swansea to manchester) was actually a 175. Very rare. Assume wrong units were in the wrong place due to the various disruptions recently.

Sion John

On Moderation
There were plenty of 150s on the Manchester to South Wales route yesterday. However ironic that the one booked for a 158 (1455 swansea to manchester) was actually a 175. Very rare. Assume wrong units were in the wrong place due to the various disruptions recently.
I saw that it was very rare indeed TfW are all over the place

ReeceEmmitt

Fortunately there wasn't a lot of moooving on impact.

I was caught up in the disruption on Friday.

Hoping to get Gerald north but ended up getting on a very crowded 175 to Newport heading for Man Pic. We sat there for half an hour because of a lack of driver/driver hours. Just enough time to check on RTT that Gerald had left just over an hour late so jumped off the Coradia very pleased with myself. Followed by large numbers after the station staff made an announcement! Not so fast!

Train made decent time after that but got a glimpse of a 175 in sidings at Abergavenny which I can only assume was the damaged unit... didn’t get a good look at the end as I was approaching but the end as I was departing at speed and from a distance looked undamaged.

Does anyone know if this was the affected set and what the rescue entailed? I was told by station staff another train had to go and fetch it!

Thanks!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was caught up in the disruption on Friday.

Hoping to get Gerald north but ended up getting on a very crowded 175 to Newport heading for Man Pic. We sat there for half an hour because of a lack of driver/driver hours. Just enough time to check on RTT that Gerald had left just over an hour late so jumped off the Coradia very pleased with myself. Followed by large numbers after the station staff made an announcement! Not so fast!

Train made decent time after that but got a glimpse of a 175 in sidings at Abergavenny which I can only assume was the damaged unit... didn’t get a good look at the end as I was approaching but the end as I was departing at speed and from a distance looked undamaged.

Does anyone know if this was the affected set and what the rescue entailed? I was told by station staff another train had to go and fetch it!

Thanks!

This would appear to be the unit moved to Chester Depot today:-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O18314/2019/06/30/advanced

ReeceEmmitt

Went south to turn the unit via Maindee Curve and East Usk.

Thanks. So if I’m understanding this right:

Damage must have been to the northern end

Headed south and then only had to travel from East Usk to Newport station damaged end forward.

Headed north undamaged end (and cab) first?

iainbhx

The 0809 is now a single unit, but a 158 of course, as far as Shrewsbury, The unit off the 0630 ex Aberystwyth attaches to it at Shrewsbury and becomes the Pwllheli portion. This was to "squeeze" the diagrams due to current shortage especially in view of PRM Mods

Yes and it is often full and standing from Wolverhampton to Telford Central.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A matter of interest, perhaps, Due to problems with 2M39 1529 Swansea to Shrewsbury (via HOWL) this afternoon, 143609 was scrambled to work it forward from Llanelli and changed over at Llandrindod Wells with 2V08 1618 Shrewsbury to Cardiff (via HOWL) From pictures seen it took 150259 with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.